Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2003.10.09, 02:53 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
washington area racers....KYOSHO CUP 2004

i'm curious as to who will be going to the 2004 kyosho races in char. va this january i think it is? they are only about 2-3 hour drive for me so i am definatley trying my best to go. i know there are atleast 2-4 other members that live in southern va...

January 31, 2004
Stampy's Cool Stuff
3550 Seminole Trail
Charlottesville, VA 22911
Telephone: (434) 974-7920

Official Race Classes - 2003/2004

Last edited by arch2b; 2003.10.09 at 05:38 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.10, 07:46 AM   #2
Slicks

I will be there!

I just hear last night that there is going to be an MR-02 class and an Overland class for racing!! I think that that brings it up to 5 race classes now - not sure how they will get that done in one day (?).

Even though I am not the best driver - I am going to enter the race - not sure if I am going to race "stock" or MR-02. My daughter is going to race stock I think. She should - she is one of the top 4 stock drivers at the shop - and took 1st place overall last season here at our LHS.

SLICKS
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.10, 08:55 AM   #3
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

One thing they are doing is only having 2 qualifying heats then the mains. last year we had 3 and then the mains. And with the batterie limitation, I guess they are not expecting a big turnout.
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.10.10, 09:11 AM   #4
arch2b

look forward to seeing you there i'm going to bring my youngest brother, maybe he'll race stock. i can't wait to get my son into it, if it turns out he likes them. i know he likes playing with all my extra asc's and he pretends to fix my trucks...he watches cartoons while i work on them so he see's me doing it all the time.

i will stay away from 01/02 racing as i'm fairly confident i would just be an embarassment. racing in the driveway is much different from a prefessional track i'm sure. i will give it a go in the open overland class!
i'm already planning to aquire a kyosho satisfactory chassis, i'm not about to reverse the current conditions of my nearly all alloy chassis's.
asc's should be in the shop soon too. thinking i might use the x5 for racing? something mid length for turning stability. maybe the harrier if asc's can be found by then.

overall, i'm going to see real races and other z fans and have a good time.

the battery thing really ticks me off though. bordering on price gouging/fixing. i have 4 sets of energizer's that cost a little over $40 and now i'm going to have to get atleast 1 set of kyosho's for about $20 including shipping. unbelievable

paul...caught your post about possible overland track...when you can, please give us some (chassis) setup reviews for that kind of track

Last edited by arch2b; 2003.10.10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 2003.10.10, 10:33 AM   #5
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

Arch2b,

As far as setup's, you can only use kyosho hopups so it kinda limits what you can do. They do not have Alloy so the mounts and knuckles would have a problem. I am looking to do this
1) kyosho Oil filled shocks
2) X speed and a 12 tooth pinion
3) ball bearings all around
4) all else stock
(I have alloy wheels and hope I can use them, Don't remember if they are Kyosho or not)

Not sure what else kyosho would be usefull on the OL.
Old 2003.10.10, 11:11 AM   #6
arch2b

i was thinking along the same lines....
oil shocks and or lowdown shocks (i have to buy the lowdown for testing)
bearings
lock nuts
x-speed with 12 tooth pinion
high grip ht tire set and or 30deg high grip tire set (stock style)

since i have to get a new chassis, i'm considering the 20th anniversary chassis set since it has everything i will need just about and at a cheaper price then buying everything seperately.
comes with:
mvw01 > Ball bearing set
mvw02 > Spring set (S/M/H)
mvw03 > Stainless steel king pin
mvw04 > Stainless steel suspension shaft set
mvw05 > Oil damper set (front)
mvw06 > Oil damper set (rear)
mvw07 > Tie rod set
mvw08 > 4.8mm milled ball set
mvw09 > 5.8mm milled ball set
mvf03 > Under guard (chrome)
mzw8v > X-SPEED
Colored screws, colored nylon wheel nuts
Chrome wheels
Clear Chassis

if there is a small turn out, i stand a better chance of doing well

Last edited by arch2b; 2003.10.10 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2003.10.10, 11:20 AM   #7
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

I think the OL's give everyone a chance. The need for marshalls is greater for this class. wipeing out over the jumps is something even the best technical driver can do. and any one can bust a knuckle or two . Just make sure everything is kyosho made. The track I run at the stock tires work great but it is always a good idea to experiment. good luck.
Old 2003.10.11, 07:21 PM   #8
arch2b

ok, i just saw the picture of the toyota harrier.....looks like it would be good for racing too. it's unlikely it will be out as an asc before january though....so i guess i'm still going with the x5
Old 2003.10.17, 08:34 AM   #9
arch2b

so slicks and myself, where are the other washington area members?

slicks, it will be a few years before my son will be old enough. it must be fun to share the hobby with your daughter.
Old 2003.10.17, 09:14 AM   #10
Slicks

Arch2B

It is fun - she enjoys racing and "BEATING BOY BUTT" as she calls it. She hates to loose! You too will enjoy it when your children are old enough. I hope that it is something that my kids will remember for a long time.

My son (now in 1st yr of college) is a better driver - a bit of a hack though!

But it is something we can do together and enjoy. My daughter and I also pull trigger on 1/10th scale nitro stadium trucks- -Now that is a real blast!!!!

I think that we are both going to get in to the "stock" race. She enjoys running stock and my eyes are not as good as they used to be - so running with Xspeed motors is a bit difficult for me. It doesn't stop me - the speed just makes it difficult. So - I know that I will make enough of a fool of myself in the stock race and won't push my luck and "save face" by not racing in modified/open.

However - I may run my Enzo in the race - I am a better driver with my Enzo - just want to see more on the rules for the MR-02 class.
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.02, 06:10 PM   #11
Bad Company

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been talking to Arch2b over at TinyRC, and have become interested in the Mini Z's. I'm planning to go to the Cup, to get a feel for these things. I think it will be a great experience, plus it's only 1.5 hours from me. Hope to see you all there.

I'm not sure that I will be set up for racing by then, but you never know. Once I get started on something, I usually go full bore into it.
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.02, 06:28 PM   #12
arch2b

for those that might not visit trc, bad company has been doing some very nice stuff with xmods and i look forward to seeing what his talents can do with overlands and racers

the more members at the cup races in january, the better
Old 2003.11.12, 08:01 AM   #13
arch2b

so, has anyone been testing setup for the races or atleast practicing? i've been trying to practice high speed control of my overland as well as testing various parts. i hope to test my lowdown shock set as soon as i get my land cruiser pcb back from service.
Old 2003.11.19, 11:37 PM   #14
herman

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULANGELO
2) X speed and a 12 tooth pinion
hmm i didn't know kyosho made a 12t pinion... thought they only made them up to 9t...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.01.21, 02:54 PM   #15
arch2b

TRACK NEWS

i will have a nice rcp track layout setup within the next few weeks. i do not have a timing system though.

i am considering hosting friendly periodic races for metro dc area mini-z, overland and maybe xmod racers since there are no local tracks available.

let me know if you would be interested?