Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.04, 10:30 AM   #31
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
thats the same answer given in the previous post bascially.
thank you for posting that the information is indeed included in the manual. is it possible to split that page out to attach to this post? not sure how locked pdf's work when trying to print a page out or remove a page?

amazing what you find when you read the manual

existing threads on the subject
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27704

also being discussed here
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...hlight=reverse

lets try to avoid mutiple threads on the same topic if possible. jsut amkes it hard to tell people where to look or event find the answer. tim can repost a stick if he needs with the manual info if we can split it out.

Last edited by arch2b; 2008.03.04 at 10:36 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.04, 11:33 PM   #32
herman

Quote:
is it possible to split that page out to attach to this post? is it possible to split that page out to attach to this post? not sure how locked pdf's work when trying to print a page out or remove a page?
just took a picture a bit easier for me to do... (it was a bit of a drag having to download the pdf file...)
note: found this in the mr02lm manual and not the kt-18 manual... kinda weird... i think there were some stuff in the mr02ml manual that should be in the kt-18 manual, and some things in the kt-18 that should be in the mr02lm manual (just my opinion)...

anyway here ya go... just looks kinda intimidating with all the instructions in different languages... but it's just really 3 simple steps - as i simplified in my first post...

Quote:
thats the same answer given in the previous post bascially.
i guess the real key here is pressing b (down) eight (8) more times after the wheels stop moving, and the beeping from the chassis stops...

Quote:
amazing what you find when you read the manual
right you are... right you are....

Quote:
lets try to avoid mutiple threads on the same topic if possible. jsut amkes it hard to tell people where to look or event find the answer. tim can repost a stick if he needs with the manual info if we can split it out.
okki dokki... i kinda agree with you on this one... you got my permission to lock this post up... will post a link to this thread on the ***Reverse*** post-http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27704

really hope this helps....

Last edited by herman; 2008.03.04 at 11:58 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.04, 11:44 PM   #33
herman

Quote:
Reverse works exactly like the AM and AD modules. The trick is to adjust your throttle trim correctly.
i'm with rharris on this one... adjust your throttle trim correctly...
when all else fails... read the manual... hehehehe

the manual will tell you how to adjust your throttle trim correctly...
click the link below....

hope this will finally end all reverse issues...

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27750
Old 2008.03.05, 11:29 AM   #34
Tim Johnson

I added your tip to my first post, that way people do not have to sift through pages posts.
Old 2008.03.05, 02:50 PM   #35
bermbuster
GF Racing

I got mine yesterday and im really liking it....btw i read the instructions....
I like the training mode.....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.09, 12:22 AM   #36
benmlee

Hopefully, I am not beating this thing to death. First thing to solve the reverse problem is to make sure the throttle trim is correct.

On the bench, I can get the car to go into reverse ten out of ten times just like the old board with no problem. However, once in a race and pressure is on, sometime the car would not go into reverse even after hitting reverse and wait 1 second before going to reverse again. Saw Rod at the last race. He would loose a lap trying to get the car to go into reverse even with the proper throttle trim. Had to spend an hour playing with the reverse trying to figure out what was going on.

Here is the conclusion and the second point. The throttle on the new transmitter is so sensitive that when you hit reverse and go back to neutral, is easy to overshoot and touch forward just slightly. That is all it takes is a slight forward to cancel the reverse. Mean while, you wait one second and go into reverse, nothing happens. When pressure is on, you hit reverse quickly and wait another second. Nothing happens again. The cycle continues. Simple experiment to prove it is to do half or even a third brake, then let the throttle spring back to neutral by itself. You will see that the throttle overshoots, and the car will lurch forward slightly. The same thing never happens on KT-5. Maybe because this radio is digital, and is so fast that the receiver catches even that millisecond of forward command. This radio performs too well for its own good

The key to going into reverse consistently is for the first reverse, bring back the throttle carefully and slow enough so you do not overshoot neutral. Then don't forget to wait half a second before doing reverse again. .2 second is a little too soon, .5 second will assure you always get reverse. Takes a little practice, but you can go into reverse almost as fast as a normal board consistently.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.09, 01:14 AM   #37
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have noticed that both the steering and throttle are a little too springy. They do not recenter enough (bounce around if you let it recenter by itself). Changing the steering wheel to the EX-1 wheel makes a big difference, both in feel and in the steering centering since the wheel is much lighter. Could be possible to dampen the throttle with high viscosity grease, so when you release the brake, it doesnt overshoot the neutral zone and register as fwd throttle.

As stated above, when you enter reverse, do not have any steering input until after you have entered reverse, then you can steer. The more I play with it, the more I like the transmitter. However, I do not think I will ever like it as much as my Helios as far as feel is concerned. I just cant adjust to the springy and toy like feeling.
Old 2008.03.10, 03:57 AM   #38
herman

Quote:
Takes a little practice, but you can go into reverse almost as fast as a normal board consistently.
yes that's true... remember the last step is to press b 8 more times when the beeping stops...

try pressing it one or two more times... don't know if it's just me, but i feel it engages reverse a bit more faster...
Old 2008.03.10, 07:57 AM   #39
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmlee View Post
Hopefully, I am not beating this thing to death. First thing to solve the reverse problem is to make sure the throttle trim is correct.

On the bench, I can get the car to go into reverse ten out of ten times just like the old board with no problem. However, once in a race and pressure is on, sometime the car would not go into reverse even after hitting reverse and wait 1 second before going to reverse again. Saw Rod at the last race. He would loose a lap trying to get the car to go into reverse even with the proper throttle trim. Had to spend an hour playing with the reverse trying to figure out what was going on.

Here is the conclusion and the second point. The throttle on the new transmitter is so sensitive that when you hit reverse and go back to neutral, is easy to overshoot and touch forward just slightly. That is all it takes is a slight forward to cancel the reverse. Mean while, you wait one second and go into reverse, nothing happens. When pressure is on, you hit reverse quickly and wait another second. Nothing happens again. The cycle continues. Simple experiment to prove it is to do half or even a third brake, then let the throttle spring back to neutral by itself. You will see that the throttle overshoots, and the car will lurch forward slightly. The same thing never happens on KT-5. Maybe because this radio is digital, and is so fast that the receiver catches even that millisecond of forward command. This radio performs too well for its own good

The key to going into reverse consistently is for the first reverse, bring back the throttle carefully and slow enough so you do not overshoot neutral. Then don't forget to wait half a second before doing reverse again. .2 second is a little too soon, .5 second will assure you always get reverse. Takes a little practice, but you can go into reverse almost as fast as a normal board consistently.
Ben,

I think you've hit on something here...EMU touched on it too. The TX is a little too springy. When I first got my car it took me a second to realize that the "jitter" in the steering was actually the TX bouncing back and forth. Also, the trigger space is a lot smaller than I am used to so it's tough to let it get back to neutral. Just gotta practice I guess.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.11, 12:46 AM   #40
benmlee

I tried using damping grease on the throttle. Just the way the centering mechanism works, is not very effective. It got a little better, but did not cure it. Besides, is one way to guarantee Tim will void your warranty, so make sure you don't have a bad transmitter before you begin.

There are a total of 17 clicks on the trim button in the neutral zone. 8 clicks back from start of forward like herman said would set the throttle right smack in the middle.
You can even go maybe 15 clicks back from forward so there is more room to prevent overshoot when trying to stop at neutral. However, the down side is you have to pull the throttle more to get thru the neutral zone to go forward. This means there is less travel left over in the forward range. You can still set the end point so you get full throttle with less throttle travel. However, that makes for less precise throttle action.
Is a compromise. You want easier reverse or more precise forward throttle. Herman is right, set at 8 click back for compromise.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.11, 02:12 AM   #41
herman

Quote:
Herman is right, set at 8 click back for compromise.
just stating what manual says... and probably 1 or 2 clicks more if you want to engage reverse a bit faster...
Old 2008.03.17, 05:30 PM   #42
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
Hey Tim, will there be more LeMan's styled bodies released in the future? I'd like to see one of the 1967 Ferrari LeMan's car, I forget the number of it, but it's a beautiful racer. If I can find a plastic model kit of it again, I may adapt one to the Z. We would like to see many more LeMan's style cars coming out. Kind of boring to just race a white Porsche 962 with a black 962. Need more variety. I love the car!

read the title of this thread please..... please take a moment to realize where you are posting before you post. this has absolutely nohting to do with the reverse function, nor is this the ask kyosho subforum.

Last edited by arch2b; 2008.03.17 at 06:12 PM.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.18, 01:01 PM   #43
imxlr8ed

As of now... here's my throttle settings:

Overall Throttle Trim: 5 beeps down from center

Forward Throttle Trim: 1 beep down from top setting

Reverse Throttle/Brake Trim: 4 beeps up from bottom setting

Now, it's really strange here. I can go directly from forward to reverse if I just feather it back and forth. If I floor it... sometimes I can get it to go right into reverse but mostly there's that 0.2sec wait. Majority of the time, if I clip a wall while racing I can just go right into reverse. This may vbe because I'm off-throttle when I clip apexes and it is ready to go inot reverse when I hit. I will say this though... there are some strange things that seem to get crazy when messing with the reverse/brake trim.

I'm going to try to get a video up on the tube sometime soon...

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.18, 02:46 PM   #44
imxlr8ed

Here's the video... not the most exciting video, but yes... it is going right into reverse when throttle is feathered as long as I have the settings I posted in the radio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB8O65QP4zU

Obviously it doesn't happen when the throttle is returning from full throttle. If I am only on like 3/4 throttle, it'll kick right into reverse. This is just as good, if not better than my previous AM cars.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.22, 03:35 AM   #45
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
chalk one up for the kt -18 2.4 mod pan car:D

[QUOTE=Tim Johnson;292638]Let me not be PC here for a sec.... Don't crash.

chalk one up for the kt -18 2.4 mod pan car i got my first win with it tonight
tonight i finally figured out how to set up the kt -18 to suit my driving style as well as ( using tims advice )getting the reverse to work better than its ever been.....DONT CRASH!!! i think that it is a 2 way street.....it sux when u cant get out of the way when u snag a wall.....but i can tell you this much .....thanks to the kt-18....i have had to step up my game and be more consistent.. there for i think that ,at the verry least, the kt-18 with the reverse delay is a verrrrry good training tool!

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote