Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.12.29, 12:47 AM   #1
SeniorChief
Retired Navy

Limited Edition Enzo with Ad-Band

I may have the opportunity to get a Limited Edition Enzo with the Ad-Band. I have another friend traveling to Tokyo next week and he may be able to pick one up while there.

Question I have, is this set really worth the extra cost? I am not totally sold on the idea yet. Any advise/suggestions?

Thanks,
SC
Overland: Toyota Landcruiser, Hummer H1, Jeep TJ under construction
IW-02: Subaru Impreza
SeniorChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.29, 01:25 AM   #2
TNB
Pet Human

The idea of running FM seems appealing; however, I noticed that Kyosho Japan's website shows that it has limited range in accordance with Japanese regulations and that the signal is not interchangeable with PPM. That alone makes me wonder if the system is legal in the USA. It also seems like the standard uncoded FM radios and/or US frequencies won't work with the board itself either so I wonder if one would be limited to that particular transmitter. Perhaps, the radio frequency gerus can shed some light or some of the members who already own the radio transmitter and FM receiver unit.
Old 2004.12.29, 09:16 AM   #3
davisdavis

people here in hk runs the AD-Band miniZ with EX-10 plus an AD module.
davisdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.29, 11:32 AM   #4
TNB
Pet Human

davisdavis,
Thanks. Any noticeable glitching or performance gain?

I guess the next questions are whether or not there are AD conversion modules for other radios as well (Futaba T3PK / Airtronics M8) and more importantly, are the AD conversion modules legal for use in the USA?
Old 2004.12.29, 12:02 PM   #5
SeniorChief
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
davisdavis,
Thanks. Any noticeable glitching or performance gain?

I guess the next questions are whether or not there are AD conversion modules for other radios as well (Futaba T3PK / Airtronics M8) and more importantly, are the AD conversion modules legal for use in the USA?
Now I am thoroughly confused.

Went back to look at both the translated and English sites. Is the AD-Band is still in the AM freq range or is it truly an FM conversion on the chassis itself? Would seem if it is an FM conversion, we would be able to use the unmodified FM controllers. I kind of like the idea of using a more capable radio but not sure if I would want a single use only one.

Wonder if the body itself is available as an ASC?
Old 2004.12.29, 12:04 PM   #6
McLaren F1 T3
MAN SHOOT

Send a message via AIM to McLaren F1 T3 Send a message via Yahoo to McLaren F1 T3
ad-band runs on 25.xxx mhz (not sure if am or fm). You can buy the KO EX-10 and get the ad-band module and use that to run it. I believe that and the ex-5 are the only ones available to run it. The ad-band has better fets so you can run hotter motors like the ad-band stock from atomic.
Old 2004.12.29, 12:17 PM   #7
SeniorChief
Retired Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren F1 T3
ad-band runs on 25.xxx mhz (not sure if am or fm). You can buy the KO EX-10 and get the ad-band module and use that to run it. I believe that and the ex-5 are the only ones available to run it. The ad-band has better fets so you can run hotter motors like the ad-band stock from atomic.
I didn't notice anything about better FETS, that would be nice, but not the main seller for me. FET are easily replaced/upgraded.

Another curiosity is the the English site has the AD for MR-01 chassis while the Japanese site (translated) is with the MR-02 chassis. What gives

I think I am making this worse for me
Old 2004.12.29, 12:31 PM   #8
TNB
Pet Human

It's my understanding that the "receiver" board can also be purchased separately, so though it was apparently originally designed for the MR-01, the transmitter/receiver combo can be used or has been used in MR-02s.

Regarding the use of a standard FM transmitter radio, there are different types of FM signals, i.e. PPM (uncoded FM), PCM (coded FM), HRS (accelerated FM), and apparently the FM signal in use by the ADband FM unit which is probably why the use of a conversion module is necessary to use other radios such as the Ko Propo EX-10.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...d/ex5ad-e.html
Old 2004.12.30, 12:12 PM   #9
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorChief
I didn't notice anything about better FETS, that would be nice, but not the main seller for me. FET are easily replaced/upgraded.

Another curiosity is the the English site has the AD for MR-01 chassis while the Japanese site (translated) is with the MR-02 chassis. What gives

I think I am making this worse for me
I'm not sure if the FETs are any better then todays FET upgrade but there is a 2x2 FET on the board just not stacked. One layer is on top of the board and the other on the bottom, this reduce heat of the FET during runs. Ad is a frequency in between AM and FM that Ko Propo called, I don't think this system will be available for Futaba 3PK, Airtronics M8 or even a JR R1 Pro as the system was designed and produced by Ko Propo themselves. Stock setting for the board provides smoother wider throttle power band, more linear/finer steering throw. Once you run it you will see what I mean. The range is not that bad but I do get glitches from time to time on that particular spot at my local track. There is also a link that you can plug into the Z to set different setting via the comp to change settings like drive frequency, steering speed, accelaration, etc...
Old 2004.12.30, 12:16 PM   #10
TNB
Pet Human

Between AM & FM? This is from the website, "(5) Control signal PFM system (not interchangeable with existing PPM) - patent pending in Japan."

"PULSE-FREQUENCY MODULATION (pfm) is a method of pulse modulation in which the modulating wave is used to frequency modulate a pulse-generating circuit."
http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14.../14184_150.htm

"FM also has the advantage of eliminating the need for highly linear optical components that are required for AM systems. Often optical systems employing FM encoding refer to the technique as pulse-frequency modulation (PFM). This simply means that the FM signal is limited (converted to digital 0ís and 1ís) before it is transmitted over the fiber."
http://www.fiber-optics.info/articles/FM-modulation.htm

Last edited by TNB; 2004.12.30 at 12:26 PM.
TNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.30, 12:37 PM   #11
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
Between AM & FM? This is from the website, "(5) Control signal PFM system (not interchangeable with existing PPM) - patent pending in Japan."

"PULSE-FREQUENCY MODULATION (pfm) is a method of pulse modulation in which the modulating wave is used to frequency modulate a pulse-generating circuit."
http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/14.../14184_150.htm

"FM also has the advantage of eliminating the need for highly linear optical components that are required for AM systems. Often optical systems employing FM encoding refer to the technique as pulse-frequency modulation (PFM). This simply means that the FM signal is limited (converted to digital 0’s and 1’s) before it is transmitted over the fiber."
http://www.fiber-optics.info/articles/FM-modulation.htm
I see, then why don't they just call it FM band instead of call Ad band? What is (5) control signal PFM?
Old 2004.12.30, 12:48 PM   #12
TNB
Pet Human

"All About Modulation"
Old 2004.12.30, 01:30 PM   #13
TNB
Pet Human

pchano0,

Do you know someone that is using a Futaba T3PK with the PCM Module (not the PPM/HRS Module) and if they are can you tell me if that set up will work with the AdBand's PFM setup if they are willing to try it of course. I really don't think PCM will work, but I'm just wondering since both PCM and PFM appear to be "coded" though that doesn't mean they'll transmit or interpret the signal the same. Thanks either way.
Old 2004.12.30, 01:38 PM   #14
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNB
pchano0,

Do you know someone that is using a Futaba T3PK with the PCM Module (not the PPM/HRS Module) and if they are can you tell me if that set up will work with the AdBand's PFM setup if they are willing to try it of course. I really don't think PCM will work, but I'm just wondering since both PCM and PFM appear to be "coded" though that doesn't mean they'll transmit or interpret the signal the same. Thanks either way.
PCM module? Doesn't the 3PK come with a FM module and you can select the mode from the radio? I just remember something, someone in spain posted that their racer was running a 3PK with the Ad band module and still works fine but you have to change the pin slots from the module, let me find that quote for you.
Old 2004.12.30, 01:42 PM   #15
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

"Every Ko module Adband are similar. You can put Adband module over Futaba 3pk or Sanwa M8, only need a litle modifications.

Alex
Spain"

"In Spain normaly the people dont have 3pk module Am 27, and only are available in Spanish market the M8 Am module.
The users of 3pk transmiters take m8 module and make a simple modifications to use in a 3pk.
This modifications are very easy, only you need invert conexions becouse the module in the case are inverted. You can put the M8 module inverted in a 3pk and runs properly. The only diference is the signal, mecouse 3pk Am module have a heavy signal and m8 module have a low signal.

In adband module is the same, but with another modification
I dont remember exactly but you need cancel the pin number 3 and invert 2 and 4.

If you make this modification you can put a Adband Helios Ex10 or other in a 3pk.
Atention is diferent in a M8.

If you want more details I can call Iban, MZLABS nick to explain more good.
He know perfectly this system

Alex
Spain"

Source