Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.02.25, 12:36 AM   #46
bobbyz

Just got the KO Propo USB HS version pt#61028, and had no issues getting read/write to MR03EVO, mainly to change the reverse delay to be a bit quicker.

Here's a few details I'll note that will hopefully help others:

*Yes, the blue light is solid, and red light flashing during the read/write process

*first plug in the USB Adapter, second open the ICS software, third plug into chassis. any other sequence but this and I got a connection error, or there was no Com port to select to establish connection.

*the three wire cable(white/red/black) jst plug provides power so you can read/write without batteries in the chassis, and if you try to power on the chassis using the three wire plug you'll get an error. However the two wire (white/black) extension cable will still allow to read/write, but you will need batteries in the chassis and power it on.

* as others have said, download the latest EVO ICS software from Kyosho Japan site for either MR03EVO or MA-030EVO
Support>Mini-z Support Page>Mini-z Racer>scroll down to choose one of the two
EVO options
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.28, 01:14 PM   #47
TPDazzle

Hey all,

Well, pretty clear from this strand that the evo ics is not user friendly. I cannot get it to work even after reading all of your great tips. Here is what I have so far:

-installed KO drivers and sorted out it was COM4
-plugged in ICS first, opened Kyosho software, then car
-using 3 wire cable with car turned off I get red blinking light and solid blue light.
I make sure software is on COM4 and click "read"

-I get a "Please re-execute [Back timing] data error! Please set again" error
-I then get a communication error with a prompt "to check the connection"

I have tried connecting in different order, and using the 2 wire extension and turning the car on. No luck yet. My evo build has steering locked to one side and a brushed motor, so I have a cool looking paper weight until I get the ics working.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.28, 01:39 PM   #48
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
In order to get mine to work I had to make sure I had the right cabling combination. adapter>black/white two wire connector>white/red/black three wire connector>ICS port.

agreed, that so many have issue using this product (ICS adapter/software) is an indication of it's failure as a product deliverable. Why is this not all possible via an app like most in the industry these days? the need to be tethered to a PC is archaic at this point.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.08.28 at 01:41 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.28, 11:44 PM   #49
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
agreed, that so many have issue using this product (ICS adapter/software) is an indication of it's failure as a product deliverable. Why is this not all possible via an app like most in the industry these days? the need to be tethered to a PC is archaic at this point.
It's amazing that a decade-old bit of software critical to set up of the car looks and functions like someone's C programming class project.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.08.29, 04:54 PM   #50
TPDazzle

Still no luck. I have emailed Kyosho, we will see how it goes.

I saw an android app for this on FB, but couldn't find anything when I searched on my own. I think they were using an adapter to plug it into their phone.
Old 2020.08.29, 05:09 PM   #51
arch2b

I have a cable adapter to plug into a phone that I can use for older baords however i'm not aware of any app that officially supports EVO.
Old 2020.08.31, 03:38 PM   #52
TPDazzle

I found one, but it is currently "read only" which seems pointless to me. Maybe you could double-check settings before messing with a laptop?
Old 2020.08.31, 03:41 PM   #53
arch2b

It was able to make changes initially however was found to corrupt the programming and quickly reverted to read only. Thus still no apps that formally supports EVO programming.
Old 2020.09.03, 07:20 PM   #54
TPDazzle

Still no word from Kyosho America. I have a fully built 2.5 pn with NEXX racing front and rear 70T HFAY car that is a nice looking paperweight until I get the EVO board to talk with the Kyosho software.

My only saving grace is that I already own more cars than I can drive in one night of racing anyway, but I would like to try the new EVO electronics and Nexx parts.
Old 2020.09.14, 07:51 PM   #55
TPDazzle

Okay, I got my car to read on the ics. I don't know what I did different, but hopefully it is repeatable. I switched the car to brushed and made some other adjustments.

The problem is that when I turn on my radio ( EX6R) and the car that I bound to it, the wheels turn full lock to the left, and do not respond to steering inputs. When I turn the radio off, the wheels center. I thought I could fix the steering neutral point in the ICS. I didn't see any way to do this. Does anybody have any ideas how to get this car steering? Getting this evo board working has been quite an ordeal.
Old 2020.09.15, 05:32 PM   #56
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I would definitely think it could be an ICS centering issue. Wheels centering with transmitter off tell me that the servo itself is operating properly, but the steering may be so far out of range that it just locks to the side... Which would lead me towards transmitter issue, or the values were not initialized properly on the board.

I have not used a stand alone EVO board, only ones from kits. My understanding is that the kit boards are initialized properly while the standalone are not initialized so they have a non centered value for steering center which would be out of range when the transmitter turns on.

Hope it somewhat makes sense
Old 2020.09.16, 03:22 PM   #57
arch2b

should you not then be able to recenter by centering the wheels before turning on the board? I was always told to make sure wheels are straight before turning on. There may be more to the process, I know I've heard of it before but don't recall having the need, of the 6 EVO cars I own.
Old 2020.09.16, 11:31 PM   #58
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPDazzle View Post
Okay, I got my car to read on the ics. I don't know what I did different, but hopefully it is repeatable. I switched the car to brushed and made some other adjustments.

The problem is that when I turn on my radio ( EX6R) and the car that I bound to it, the wheels turn full lock to the left, and do not respond to steering inputs. When I turn the radio off, the wheels center. I thought I could fix the steering neutral point in the ICS. I didn't see any way to do this. Does anybody have any ideas how to get this car steering? Getting this evo board working has been quite an ordeal.

See the one that says ST offset? Some come from the factory with that slider all the way to one side.
Attached Images
File Type: png ics.png (59.7 KB, 0 views)

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.09.16, 11:32 PM   #59
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I would definitely think it could be an ICS centering issue. Wheels centering with transmitter off tell me that the servo itself is operating properly, but the steering may be so far out of range that it just locks to the side... Which would lead me towards transmitter issue, or the values were not initialized properly on the board.

I have not used a stand alone EVO board, only ones from kits. My understanding is that the kit boards are initialized properly while the standalone are not initialized so they have a non centered value for steering center which would be out of range when the transmitter turns on.

Hope it somewhat makes sense
My problem is the ICS doesn't seem to have a way to fix the recentering. Someone showed me a picture on the social media, and mine doesn't have the adjustment. The rest of my screen looked like his, but under " Dumping" he has a "re-entering adjustment" mine just goes straight to "gyro mixing". I re-downloaded the software to make sure I had the most recent version, and I still haven't got it. I'll have to try Kyosho America again. They ignored my first request for help. I will say that KO Propo did contact me to ensure that I did have their latest ICS driver.
Old 2020.09.16, 11:54 PM   #60
TPDazzle

Thanks for the picture. Here is the crazy thing, my software doesn't have it:

Why would that be? I double checked an re downloaded the latest version from the official Kyosho support site.

Last edited by TPDazzle; 2020.09.17 at 09:26 AM.