Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.10.10, 01:51 PM   #1
kromie101

F-1 Issues

ok here is my deal. my 02 board smoked up and don't know how. i turned it on put it on the track and it went by its self a little,stopped it and i saw smoke turned it off. went to the pits turned it back on and it looked like a bomb went off.

anyhow i put another 02 board back in and it has double stacked fets on it.i also have the capacitor wired in. it felt like it glitched a little for some reason.i was told that the capacitor should be off of it when i rebind it. i just realized that now that i'm at the house. i did drive it some in the kitchen and it seems to be ok now.hope that was my problem.

the only other issue is the steering seems to tick back in fourth a little. if i can get a hold of a programer can't that be fixed. i thought that was the steering servo tring to center its self. man,im sick of having dumb issues.jsut venting a little bit.
kromie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.10, 10:01 PM   #2
herman

yeah... i know how you feel when it isn't going right...
bring it to a nearby track and show it to somebody in the know...
he might be able to fix it up for you... good luck and keep us posted...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.10, 11:48 PM   #3
Action B
The Galliant Dude

I may be able to repair the board for you as long as the pads aren't too damaged. Let me know if you'd like me to take a look. I have a lot of experience

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 12:26 AM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Check all of the wires on the battery terminals of the chassis, and the wires to the board and capacitor.. make sure there are no shorts...

What type of transponder wiring do you use... solder or plug?
Old 2010.10.11, 07:38 AM   #5
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
yeah... i know how you feel when it isn't going right...
bring it to a nearby track and show it to somebody in the know...
he might be able to fix it up for you... good luck and keep us posted...
Every one at our local track has looked this thing over, and tried multiple ideas. I cant explain what was happening with it this Saturday.

I hope you've got it now E!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
I may be able to repair the board for you as long as the pads aren't too damaged. Let me know if you'd like me to take a look. I have a lot of experience
You would need some other replacement parts to repair this one B On the bottom of the board, pretty much everything in a half inch radius is cooked. The weird thing is though, he had two other boards acting up the same way. I think EMU might be on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Check all of the wires on the battery terminals of the chassis, and the wires to the board and capacitor.. make sure there are no shorts...

What type of transponder wiring do you use... solder or plug?
I'm pretty sure he is using a plug in type lead.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 07:41 PM   #6
kromie101

yep,im using the plug in type.

LT,i think the reason it came to a stop, was the motor tab i think came loose.that positive tab seems finicky. i probably should solder it.

like i said,i did about 400 donuts and holeshots in the kitchen. it seemed to work and not take off by it's self. i did bind it before i put the capacitor back on so maybe that was the problem.

action b,i might be sending some boards to ya anyhow. i just bought about 16 fets,can you use them? on the chassie under the board it looked like a scud missle went off. they had to call in the bomb squad when it went off. i would love to send it just to see if it works,i dought it does.just not sure if it's worth it. thanks for the input guys.
Old 2010.10.17, 01:14 PM   #7
kromie101

well i wanna say the f-1 is back a 100% but its not. i can drive it but it still has a little hesitation. it was funny when i started running it,it felt like it had a whole lot of roll. i told landon about it and he said he thought it might have been the inertia set high. that was it,we turned it off with the programer.

car feels good but it just has a little glitch feel in the motor. maybe i should try another capacitor? would it be ok to place the cap right on the motor or does it have to go on the motor tabs on the board? thanks

Last edited by kromie101; 2010.10.17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2010.10.17, 04:16 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

One of my cars has this 'glitch', and I have tried everything that I know of... and couldnt get rid of it. The board works fine on an MR02, but on the F1, it gets a slight runaway glitch as I come off throttle occasionally. I dont have any issues when I get on throttle, just occasionally when I release the throttle it runs on. VI is off, so thats not the problem. It doesnt happen all the time, and I can go months without a hit, and then all of a sudden it starts acting wierd for a few battery packs and then its back to normal. I changed the board, and it does the same.
Old 2010.10.17, 07:53 PM   #9
kromie101

thats crazy EMU. i'm gonna try to rebind down in a dungen with no signals. i just don't understand how this stuff happens. i just hope it goes away. did you try the capacitor trick? i have a few if you need one.
Old 2010.10.17, 08:21 PM   #10
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

One of the racers here just started having a weird issue. His f1 gets a little ways away from the radio and just stops, other cars have no problems. I looked over the car and everything that would be able to cause it to happen looks to be in good working order.

Also the power cap trick, while it has fixed all my cars and alot of other peoples as well, when Joe tried it out it only got rid of a little bit of it so it may not be a 100% fix for every board/car. I have had 5 different boards between 2 f1's a its fixed all of mine.

One thing I have noticed, when I use my TRP cells I will have the issue pop up from time to time but is very minor and has only occured twice and about a year. When I'm using Orion or R1 750 cells it never happens. Maybe the 750 cells carry a little more voltage and keep the voltage from dropping too low to the board. Just a thought.

Reflex Racing Mantis Worx DG-Designs Psycho Cells
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.18, 05:29 PM   #11
kromie101

thats a thought about the batts. maybe i will try about 5 caps on the motor i will pay more attention to the batts i run. i am running a AWD motor. maybe that draws to many amps? i want a torquey motor. i tried a 39 turn but just did'nt like. what about a 33 or 32 turn?
Old 2010.10.18, 05:40 PM   #12
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromie101 View Post
thats a thought about the batts. maybe i will try about 5 caps on the motor i will pay more attention to the batts i run. i am running a AWD motor. maybe that draws to many amps? i want a torquey motor. i tried a 39 turn but just did'nt like. what about a 33 or 32 turn?
Joe said he had some luck adding one of the small motor caps between the + and - on the motor.

I have 39t in mine right now and like it alot, before that I used a 43t or a speedy ad. I was going for something without alot of tourque and more rpm though. I even thought about putting some gold neo mags in the 39t for less torque and more rpm but I don't think I'm gonna mess with it now.

Reflex Racing Mantis Worx DG-Designs Psycho Cells
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.18, 06:03 PM   #13
kromie101

come to think of it,when i was running the 39 turn the board was not programed right. maybe i should put it back in. i did go my fastest with the awd.i really did'nt give the 39 turn much time.
Old 2010.10.18, 06:08 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

My problem with the 39t for F1, is that it gets a little too hot, and doesnt have the runtime that I want. At the NJ regional, I had a 39t in one car, and 43t in the others. I felt that I could gear up the 43t a little higher, without the motor getting as hot, and had better runtime. The F1 probably has too much mass for the 39t to run efficiently enough. I have no issues with it in my MR03.
Old 2010.10.18, 07:29 PM   #15
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Matt that is an interesting point you bring up about the TRP's. Now that I think about it, it seems I never had the throttle glitch until I started using TRP's I think? Maybe the TRP's are the culprit not sure why but I will try some other batteries just to test things out.

Thanks Matt, for all your input on this matter. It is the strangest thing I used to never have this problem and now I do. I have tried everthing from capacitors to antenaes, new boards, fetted board, 02 boards, 03 boards and so on.

Maybe batteries are the answer. I never used TRP's until after last years ALS race and that is when I started having the problem. Who knows, I think you think you may be onto something.

That's what I love about the hobby it is like an ongoing science project that never ends.