Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.01, 01:18 AM   #1
thestug

MR-03 and gyro unit?

So I've been out of the Mini-z game for a while now. It seems like kyosho has released lots of new stuff recently. One of which is the new sports readysets.

So, I'm a tad confused? What is the actual difference between a regular MR-03 and a MR-03S? I'm looking to get a new or nearly new MR-03 just for messing about with, but I would like to test out a gyro unit as it looks like it gives the vehicle a whole new dynamic when driven near it's limits.

Does the MR-03S allow the use of a gyro? If not, what is the cheapest way to get a MR-03 chassis and transmitter that allow for the function of a Gyro unit? I don't have any of my Mini-z stuff anymore so I'm essentially starting from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2016.03.02, 02:32 PM   #2
TFF9toes

I'm going to just kinda set myself in this post. I just wanna know the difference between the MR03 and MR03S chassis. I already bought an MR03S, and am waiting for it to arrive.
TFF9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.02, 04:34 PM   #3
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The difference between the two is related to the TX-RX system. The 03 is a 2.4ASF system while the Sport is a 2.4 FHS(S) system. No cross over between the two.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.03, 06:06 PM   #4
thestug

So after some research it seems that the MR-03 Sports and the MR-03 Sports 2 are different. The sports 2 seems to support a gyro and the Sports 1 does not.
Old 2016.03.03, 06:52 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

The gyro is principally for shoveling snow(drifting) and is virtually useless for anything else. As far as the basic chassis design is concerned the "S" series will accept any of the normal 03 upgrades or bling.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.09, 10:03 PM   #6
thestug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
The gyro is principally for shoveling snow(drifting) and is virtually useless for anything else. As far as the basic chassis design is concerned the "S" series will accept any of the normal 03 upgrades or bling.
I'm not going to be racing so the gyro will be primarily for just drifting around. I'm hoping that with a little bit of tweaking the MR-03 with gyro that I'll have something fun and RWD that can do more than donuts when driven hard.

Probably another noob question. How does one switch between different layouts of the MR-03 chassis? I'm a bit confused about what parts are need for a simple wheelbase conversion and what parts are needed to switch between RM and MM.
Old 2016.03.09, 10:39 PM   #7
NZsevenkings

Hello thestug
I’m looking at getting a mini z or something similar as well for just rwd drifting. I am looking at the MR03 Sport 2 chassis as a base.
According to the specs a MZW431 gyro will work with it. Have you taken the plunge and ordered anything yet? I would be very interested in how you get along.

Another member on the forum (Doug01n) thinks with the correct settings / patience and tire combination it could be achieved. My only concern is the steering angle which is pretty much fixed according to other senior forum members. Please keep this post updated cos I will keep an eye on your progress. Regards
NZsevenkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.11, 09:35 PM   #8
thestug

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZsevenkings View Post
Hello thestug
I’m looking at getting a mini z or something similar as well for just rwd drifting. I am looking at the MR03 Sport 2 chassis as a base.
According to the specs a MZW431 gyro will work with it. Have you taken the plunge and ordered anything yet? I would be very interested in how you get along.

Another member on the forum (Doug01n) thinks with the correct settings / patience and tire combination it could be achieved. My only concern is the steering angle which is pretty much fixed according to other senior forum members. Please keep this post updated cos I will keep an eye on your progress. Regards
I have not ordered anything yet. Still shopping some different MR-03 sports 2s.
Old 2016.03.22, 08:30 PM   #9
thestug

Got my MR-03 sports and gyro unit today. It actually seems to drift ok on my kitchen floor. Gyro unit does help quite a bit with the control of the MR-03 chassis. However, the open diff is still causing quite a bit of inconsistency with the drifting. It tends to like to unload and cause the car to either spin out or stop drifting immediately. I might have to experiment with a ball diff, adding some grease to the stock diff, or just locking the diff completely.

Does anyone know if a locked diff is available for a Mr-03?
Old 2016.03.22, 10:43 PM   #10
gctkaz

Your best bet for a locked diff is probably to start with a stock gear diff.

I have done it with an AWD diff that had shredded spider gears, I just dabbed a small amount of clear epoxy on what remained of the spider gears and put it back together.

For something less permanent, I had success at 1:10 scale by cutting a piece of heat shrink tubing and just jamming it in the gears and re-assembling the diff.
For Mini-Z, you might want to try something a bit thinner and more pliable since the spider gears are quite a bit more delicate.
Another option is to start with a ball diff and tighten the out of it.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.23 at 05:29 AM.
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.27, 11:53 PM   #11
thestug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
Your best bet for a locked diff is probably to start with a stock gear diff.

I have done it with an AWD diff that had shredded spider gears, I just dabbed a small amount of clear epoxy on what remained of the spider gears and put it back together.

For something less permanent, I had success at 1:10 scale by cutting a piece of heat shrink tubing and just jamming it in the gears and re-assembling the diff.
For Mini-Z, you might want to try something a bit thinner and more pliable since the spider gears are quite a bit more delicate.
Another option is to start with a ball diff and tighten the out of it.
I ordered a stock diff to glue/epoxy. Hopefully, doing this will allow for a little bit more consistent handling instead of the diff unloading in the middle of a drift.
Old 2016.03.28, 09:57 AM   #12
thestug

This might be sort of a noob question, but what size screw driver fits mini-z screws? I realize these screws are JIS, but what size?
Old 2016.03.28, 11:33 AM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
most of the screw driver sets for mini-z use a #0 phillips. the mr-03 single top cover uses a recessed head phillips which is much smaller for the servo motor retention cover.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.30, 12:38 PM   #14
thestug

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
most of the screw driver sets for mini-z use a #0 phillips. the mr-03 single top cover uses a recessed head phillips which is much smaller for the servo motor retention cover.
Thanks, I'll order up some screwdrivers that fit better than what I have. A normal phillips just doesn't fit a Japanese Industrial Standard screw that well and like to cam out.

In other news, I ordered a #MZW410S FRP suspension plate set. I figured going as soft as possible in the rear would be beneficial, however I'm not entirely sure how these plates work. They all seem very soft and I can't tell the difference between any of the plates. Are they meant to be stacked?

Using a single T-plate gives me a little bit more control over a slide, but it seems that maybe it's too soft since I can hardly break some 50deg slicks loose on my kitchen floor. The car wants to under-steer with the super soft plate.