Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.08.09, 01:10 PM   #1
G'ZOX

Building a new MR-02 and need advice

Hey gang- I've been out of the scene for about 2 years and have some questions.
I'd really like to build another MR-02 car but am considering two options and would like to know what you think is the best one.

Option 1: buy smoked chassis, Ko-Propo electronics, Kyosho shell and all the hop-up parts I'm gonna want to put in rigth off the bat. basically build the car up from parts.

Option 2: buy the Kyosho Ready-Set and build this kit up w/ option parts.

I don't know what would be cheaper- building from scratch or building up a ready-set. theres just so many parts that i'd be basically throwing away on the ready-set that i'm tempted to build the car from the ground up.
what do you all think. thanks
G'ZOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.09, 01:20 PM   #2
ruf
4play

Readyset is cheaper, unless you are building with ADband. Use the stock chassis with the gold terminals from the smoke chassis for the best strength and conductivity.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.09, 01:39 PM   #3
G'ZOX

I'd be practically replacing every part on the ready set chassis though.. diff., suspension, motor, steering, bearings... if I just started w/ a chassis I could add on all that stuff myself instead of paying for the Ready-Set that has parts I don't want.
the only bonus I'd see to getting the Ready-Set is having the controller and electronics.
I want the Motul Skyline body and Ready-Sets for this one are pretty extinct so i think i'm swaying towards building my car from scratch...
Old 2005.08.09, 02:02 PM   #4
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ZOX
I'd be practically replacing every part on the ready set chassis though.. diff., suspension, motor, steering, bearings... if I just started w/ a chassis I could add on all that stuff myself instead of paying for the Ready-Set that has parts I don't want.
the only bonus I'd see to getting the Ready-Set is having the controller and electronics.
I want the Motul Skyline body and Ready-Sets for this one are pretty extinct so i think i'm swaying towards building my car from scratch...
Yes, build it from scratch. Mine has no more stock parts.
Old 2005.08.09, 03:24 PM   #5
G'ZOX

If I buy the MR-02 chassis I need a ton of stuff right besides the electronics right?

motor mount, steering linkage.. what other mechanical parts aren't included?
Old 2005.08.09, 04:12 PM   #6
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
Readyset is cheaper, unless you are building with ADband. Use the stock chassis with the gold terminals from the smoke chassis for the best strength and conductivity.
The readyset would be cheaper, but with all the upgrades building from the ground up is about the same. Only with the ground up build you will not have as many extra parts laying around.
Old 2005.08.09, 04:21 PM   #7
G'ZOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
The readyset would be cheaper, but with all the upgrades building from the ground up is about the same. Only with the ground up build you will not have as many extra parts laying around.
exactly. either way this car is gonna be big bucks... probably around $500 when its all said and done
Old 2005.08.09, 04:25 PM   #8
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Quote:
Originally Posted by G'ZOX
exactly. either way this car is gonna be big bucks... probably around $500 when its all said and done
Ya, you mean this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0842.JPG (115.3 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by pchan0; 2005.08.09 at 04:33 PM.
pchan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.09, 04:57 PM   #9
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

The one that I built I have right around $200 wrapped up in it. I have kept some stock parts in it, and just a handful of hopup parts. Even if I broke it down to compare to an MR02 chassis set with those same hopups it would still been the same.
Old 2005.08.09, 04:57 PM   #10
fatboy1

quick note

I converted one of the circuit boards from a F1 and created another MR-15 as I had already upgraded that chassis to the smoked gold contacts. I also had a toasted IW-02 chassis. I changed the RX crystal holder from the IW-02 to the F1 board and used the longer servo wires from the IW for the F1 board (since F1 board has wires that were too short), used the servo saver and gears from IW also.

you know the options already...but for a scratch car:
- do you have a Ex-10 to handle an adband module/ circuit board? I am using a AM module for my Futabe 3PJ and don't want to spend the extra cash on a new radio, am module for my existing mini-zs and then ad stuff on top of that!
- do you have surplus upgrades already? in my case I still have plenty extras like alloy motor mounts, bearings etc... do you? or are you going to use stock plastic...do you still have those parts lying around?

This will determine if a kit plus upgrades make more sense.. that and if you want to blow your cash all up front? or in stages...
fatboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.09, 05:21 PM   #11
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

On mine I kept the motor pod plastic, but I do have a ball diff, fibre plates, bearings, and some frontend bits to stay in my tight budget. The PCB set was the biggest item, all my shopping around the cheapest place to get it at the time was here. The only thing to think of, is the fiddly bits like the servo gear shafts, that can make the difference between ground up build or buy a set and change it. Everything on that car was bought for that car, I will admit to getting a few "good deals" here and there. Most of those deals was watching the shipping costs for the parts.
Old 2005.08.09, 05:41 PM   #12
ruf
4play

I've built one from the board up. It's more expensive, unless you plan on going ADband. Period.

Don't worry about having stock parts laying around. They are good spares.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube

Last edited by ruf; 2005.08.09 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2005.08.09, 06:34 PM   #13
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

I did do mine before the MR02 RC chassis sets came out. Yes with the AD Band you may be better off building it. Mine was doing it on a budget, and I stayed in that budget. I just didn't waste money on stuff I didn't need, just stuck to using my head to keep the upgrades simple. I set the $200 budget as a real world budget, $500 you should be able to load everything on that you can. My $200 budget I used every bit of and had a tight built car in the end. I did run mix/match plastic wheels for a while till I was able to afford the better ones.
@ruf- do you have a hard time figuring out which is $100 bills and which is bath tissue?
Old 2005.08.09, 06:52 PM   #14
G'ZOX

If I can find a Ready-Set Motul Skyline I'd definitly go w/ the pre-built.
everybody seems pretty sold out of that one though.

I wrote this websites store about Square parts today because I want to load my car up on as much of this stuff as I can- ball diff., inch-ups, motor mount etc. but they haven't written back yet.. grr
Old 2005.08.09, 10:00 PM   #15
ruf
4play

HammerZ - I dunno what "bath tissue" is, but the day I start sh!tting $100 bills I'll be binging on Exlax and Taco Bell. I'm not sure what you meant by your comment, but if you are talking about how much this retarded thing finally cost, then the final budget was a little over $350 without radio or batteries. Had I started with a cheap readyset, I would've saved about $20 and had a ton of spares.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube