Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.11.09, 11:51 AM   #1
SonicKuz

Send a message via AIM to SonicKuz Send a message via Yahoo to SonicKuz
Traction Compounds

I've been working on an indoor warehouse track but have some problems with the slippery concrete surface. This place tends to attract dust and the floor is very smooth which makes traction a real challenge. I would have normally sprayed something on there but I can't order anything from where I'm at with US mail restrictions on aeresols and flamables. I'm pretty limited to what I can order except for common household products like hair spray (would this work or would it just attract more dust?) and I might escape to the hobby shop in a week even though its a really small one. Any recommendations?
Old 2003.11.09, 12:04 PM   #2
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Just spray any sugar filled drink on it, like Coca Cola, or some kind of punch.

David
davkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.09, 12:42 PM   #3
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

davkin's advice will work well, but don't forget the ant spray.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.09, 12:54 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
rcp, not to drag this off topic, but can you post pictures of any overland track setups you have done with the ol rcp track, in the track thread....sorry, back to topic
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.09, 02:06 PM   #5
Pro-Z Racing

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Z Racing
when we race nitro out doors we spray sugar water mixture down. I think cola has few to many adatives to be a good tire compound. Something worth trying is use the wet swiffer mop on the track before you race. I use the swiffer on my foam tile track and it's perfect. No Dust
Pro-Z Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.09, 11:45 PM   #6
SonicKuz

Send a message via AIM to SonicKuz Send a message via Yahoo to SonicKuz
thanks guys. i'd try the hobby stuff but i cant air mail it over here and i dont have the time to wait from ground stuff to make it halfway around the world from the US. i might try some soda in a small area. i just hope it doesnt attract too much dust. i'm not too worried about ants either.
Old 2003.11.10, 01:45 AM   #7
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Sprite (7-up) with a cheap chemical sprayer...makes a nice mist.

Then mop it up afterwards to avoid bugs...
Old 2003.11.10, 11:49 PM   #8
StandonIt

Send a message via AIM to StandonIt
Traction

Hey SonicKuz, I have been doing RC Cars for a long time, we started out by using coke syrup, then went to orange, which is the most sticky! Must clubs and race orgs have banned it cause it was too sticky so the next best is Grape. when you mix it is 3parts water to 1 prt grape. You spray after you sweep or blow the track off. We have been using this for on road 1/10th oval and road course for a long time. Works well in the heat! So good luck and thanks for being over there! Ex Airforce

So go hit up the mess and requistion some grape syrup!

Chuck
StandonIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.12.15, 06:58 PM   #9
timinater
Zamatuer

Send a message via AIM to timinater
Track Compound

I found some mats at wal mart and they come in a 20x4 roll of kinda antislip stuff, has anyone ever tried it? itsd called "duck easy liner" and its a few milimeters thick it looks like it might be a good compound for driving, ile have to check it out some day just lookin to see if anyone knew/heard of it?
Old 2003.12.16, 02:48 PM   #10
BobT

I have not heard of it but would suggest you consider if it is reasonably priced enough to make a large enough track feasible. It does not make any difference what kind of traction it has if you can't afford it.

If it passes that test bring a few various tire compounds to Walmart and test the friction.

I use the foam interlocking squares you hear talked about in these threads. Truth is the traction with stock tires is non-existent. Softer compounds work a little better. Foam tires are just right but you can still loose traction. What makes it ideal is the fact that hitting a foam barrier does not destroy the car and traction is realistic and consistent. If it does not fishtail and get squirrelly when you pull the trigger you don't have enough horsepower. LOL!
Old 2013.04.13, 05:45 PM   #11
arch2b

i understand 95% of RCP tracks ban all traction compounds. i've been hearing about the use of nomad slot racing Frog Spit. this appears to be made specifically for rubber and foam materials. i cannot find any list of ingredients but assume this is among the common traction compounds that should not be used on RCP tracks that do not use traction compounds. can anyone with slot car experience please confirm if i should be concerned about it's use?
Old 2013.04.15, 07:11 PM   #12
arch2b

to post a response to my own question, i emailed the manuf. to which i received the following reply.

Quote:
Frog Spit is a petroleum distillate, an oil. We have tested it on both painted an plastic tracks and see no harmful effects even when applied directly the track quite liberally, which not recommended. Applied to rails directly, or on braid , it prevents corrosion. Trace amounts that transfer from treated tires have slight positive effect on traction. Over application to track can cause a slight localized slipperiness.

In any case, if your rules are no traction compounds, "no means no".

We find untreated tracks build a static charge that attracts dust and generally require extensive cleaning and or driving and repeated tire cleaning before track is acceptable. We prefer to treat track with spray grip (a different product) for more consistent traction and less issues with dust.

We use Frog spit to maintain tire softness and to improve braid contact and wear. Our rules do not allow any tire additive that leave a visible transfer to the track. We do allow application of a drop of Frog Spit the rails between heats when a car stop is in a corner. This way braid performance is maintained without causing a possible slippery spot in a corner.

Jim Cunningham
Old 2013.04.16, 08:44 AM   #13
imxlr8ed

At a local outdoor track, we found that some cheap off-brand grape soda worked the best for the price... or maybe we just liked the smell better.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.04.16, 02:33 PM   #14
blt456

There is another thread on this forum about using different lubes as traction compound. I put Reflex bearing oil on my PN front and rear tires for 15-20 mins then wipe off. When I wipe the tires off, the tires are very "gummy." This trick does work but only for a couple of battery packs for mod motors and just a few more for slower motors. I'm not sure if bearing oil contains anything that could harm RCP tracks.

I have tried adding bearing oil to kyosho tires and it doesn't work.

I have also tried using 1/10 scale traction compound on PN rear tires before, but it only lasted about 5 minutes before needing to reapply.
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote