Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.23, 04:19 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Comparison of PN PCB to Kyosho

i'll be posting an inquiry to see if HFAY rules will allow but have no basis for comparison in performance. how do these stack up against the standard ASF mr-03 PCB?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.23, 04:34 PM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I have yet to check performance but the installed fets are able to run upto 32T....what are HFAY standards for fets on the ASF board?

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.23, 04:53 PM   #3
arch2b

the fet standards are not static as they continually change on PCB's as they evolve. the current standard is the ASF 2.4 PCB with (4) fets, 1 top layer, 1 bottom layer.
Old 2014.03.23, 11:24 PM   #4
imxlr8ed

I highly recommend allowing them, raced against one today and I wouldn't call it an advantage or a handicap. Phil got it right with these boards, especially with what I think is a sub-standard FHS board being released by Kyosho.

It's been open fet for a while anyways, right?

The 70turn has always in my mind been the level playing field for all, fast is one thing... skill is the one that counts!

I have won and finished well in races against fetted cars with stock fets in my cars in the past, and that was against some fairly skilled people. It should be opened up fully, limited to Nimh batts and 70turn motors.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2014.03.23 at 11:28 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 08:48 AM   #5
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
I highly recommend allowing them, raced against one today and I wouldn't call it an advantage or a handicap. Phil got it right with these boards, especially with what I think is a sub-standard FHS board being released by Kyosho.

It's been open fet for a while anyways, right?

The 70turn has always in my mind been the level playing field for all, fast is one thing... skill is the one that counts!

I have won and finished well in races against fetted cars with stock fets in my cars in the past, and that was against some fairly skilled people. It should be opened up fully, limited to Nimh batts and 70turn motors.
currently the rules are that fets can be upgraged/stacked and the limiting factor is the Motor and the batteries.

the PN boards will be allowed as long as the car runs the 70T motor and Nimh batteries.
Old 2014.03.24, 11:48 AM   #6
miniznewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
currently the rules are that fets can be upgraged/stacked and the limiting factor is the Motor and the batteries.

the PN boards will be allowed as long as the car runs the 70T motor and Nimh batteries.
glad to hear that as all my cars will be pn spectrum boards( just like the radio better and I use it for 10th scale)
I cant say ive noticed any performance gains when running 70t motors with the pn board. everyone I run with is on asf and as far as speed goes down the straight I am not faster then anyone
miniznewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 04:55 PM   #7
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniznewb View Post
glad to hear that as all my cars will be pn spectrum boards( just like the radio better and I use it for 10th scale)
I cant say ive noticed any performance gains when running 70t motors with the pn board. everyone I run with is on asf and as far as speed goes down the straight I am not faster then anyone

At our club, minor differences have been noticed running the PN board vs stock mr-03 ASF boards. Same difference you'd see after fetting.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 05:12 PM   #8
TheSteve
VE7FM

Has anyone checked to see if motor power is going through the power switch like an MR02/MR03 board or if the switch only turns on the board electronics like an mr03ve board? If power doesn't go through the switch it is possible the PN board could offer a small performance gain.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.24, 06:35 PM   #9
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
Has anyone checked to see if motor power is going through the power switch like an MR02/MR03 board or if the switch only turns on the board electronics like an mr03ve board? If power doesn't go through the switch it is possible the PN board could offer a small performance gain.
Im not sure but most of us take out the switch all together. Use the last battery as an off/on switch.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.25, 01:43 PM   #10
art4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
This thread got me curious as I have a PN Spectrum board and I left the power switch in. I went ahead and de-soldered the switch, and put an ammeter inline where the switch was to measure current.

There is definitely power flowing through the switch – with a 50T motor in free air, I measure 1+ amps of current which varies proportionally with motor speed.

Based on this I went ahead and removed the switch and wires and bridged the solder pads. The supplied switch wires are pretty tiny, probably 26 gage or smaller, so they may be impeding power flow. I will try out the car later and see if I notice any difference.
art4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.25, 03:02 PM   #11
briankstan

interesting, I've never removed a switch from any of my mini-z's ever. Does it make that much of a difference?
Old 2014.03.25, 03:31 PM   #12
imxlr8ed

Makes a difference when you're racing with say... very dedicated and skilled racers. Add a stock cross-wire replacement to the switch delete and you should notice a bit more punch.

For the F1s... direct solder is the only way to go in my book! Pressure connections just stink in my book.

And Larry is right, almost every racer I've met does this to their cars.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.25, 04:21 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have only removed the switch on one of my cars, the MRX... All others that i have built have the switch in them. I prefer having the ability to turn the car off with batteries installed. I think it is much more noticeable to solder the battery terminals than removing the switch. almost everyone that i race with removes their switches...

Switch removal really doesnt make much difference for modified classes, but 70t or slower spec classes it could shave a tenth off the lap...
Old 2014.03.25, 04:52 PM   #14
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

People complain of bind loss or other issues with binding to the point that a DSM board has arrived on the scene to be the be all end all for the situation. I don't know if switch bypass or removal has or could have anything to do with the issue. However. Since the release of 2.4ASF I have never had a car lose bind. I also have never removed or bypassed a switch. Personally I don't believe that the miniscule addition of power is worth the loss of convenience of a simple on/off switch. Especially in a situation where there is a technical inspection or impound after a race and the car has to go into someone else's hands.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.25, 06:31 PM   #15
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
interesting, I've never removed a switch from any of my mini-z's ever. Does it make that much of a difference?
since 2001 or so, never have taken a switch out of a car of mine either.