Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.04.23, 04:31 PM   #1
Davey G
Need a mini z Painted????

Send a message via MSN to Davey G
Dying Mini Z Parts

Here is a question that I dont think has ever been asked. Are the mini z parts dyeble? I know most plastics are but some shrink. LOL

I just purchased a Mini z nascar and hate the red parts and am not willing to paint them. I would like to Dye them black, has anyone done this before? If not I WILL be the guinnea pig and try it on some older parts I have laying around.

Thanks for looking....

Custom Paint, Custom Stickers, Wraps, Pitboards, Graphic Design

TEAM DRIVER FOR: PN RACING, TRP, TEAM SCREAM, DG DESIGNS
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.23, 05:16 PM   #2
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey G View Post
Here is a question that I dont think has ever been asked. Are the mini z parts dyeble? I know most plastics are but some shrink. LOL

I just purchased a Mini z nascar and hate the red parts and am not willing to paint them. I would like to Dye them black, has anyone done this before? If not I WILL be the guinnea pig and try it on some older parts I have laying around.

Thanks for looking....
Davey, just this past weekend I used some RIT liquid dye that I got at Wal-Mart to dye the Kyosho Mini-Z oil filled rear shock dark navy blue instead of the original yellow color.. It turned out extremely well, no warping or shrinkage of the parts.. Even the tiny C-shaped shock pre-load spacers turned out O.K.

I've personally never tried dyeing anything the size of the top cover for an MR-015 though.. Since it's most likely the same type of plastic Kyosho uses to make the rear shock you should be alright.. As long as you don't leave the parts you're trying to dye in hot/boiling water for too long you should be alright.. When I dyed the rear shock, it only took about a minute to fully dye the part.. Hope this helps...
TALLGEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.23, 06:47 PM   #3
Davey G
Need a mini z Painted????

Send a message via MSN to Davey G
I have had success and some disappointment depending on the plastic. I have had nothing but success with the nylon'y white plastic taking color and not deforming. I tried to die the plastic chassis of my Kyosho HOR motorcycle and it completely melted. I will let you know how the red parts come out. Thanks!!!

Custom Paint, Custom Stickers, Wraps, Pitboards, Graphic Design

TEAM DRIVER FOR: PN RACING, TRP, TEAM SCREAM, DG DESIGNS
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.23, 08:57 PM   #4
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
now you guys got me thinking......................

instead of painting a white body............

you get where this is going

I will have to try that when I get the funds
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.23, 09:14 PM   #5
Roketmini
The C is Missing.

Send a message via AIM to Roketmini
Ninja-I've been on the same train. Dye a body gray or silver, so when the paint comes off from hitting something it looks like metal underneath instead of white plastic =D
Old 2008.04.24, 12:09 AM   #6
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
How would you dye silver? I have not seen Rit dye available in silver and if so I'd tend to think it would turn out grey. Sound's like a good idea. Question is, how far into the plastic will the pigment go? Will you see it in all the crevesis, inside of the body and all those nook's and crannies? How through will dyeing the plastic be? Another question is, how thick a layer will the die be?
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.24, 12:27 AM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I have seen one person warp a white body with dye. Make sure that the water is not very hot. I have also seen it come out pretty well, where the water was not very hot.

Dave, I havent seen anyone dye the top plate. I should have a spare top cover, if you need
Old 2008.04.24, 12:32 AM   #8
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
for a thin body I think just hot tap water will be warm enough to soften it to the point to accept the dye. You could always soak it overnight if needed to allow the dye to soak in properly.
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.24, 01:14 AM   #9
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

When I dye parts I like to use really hot water, just below boiling temperature.. I've tried doing it with slightly cooler water with a little more dye mixed in and got pretty good results as well, it just took a little longer..
Old 2008.04.24, 01:17 AM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Have you dyed an unpainted body? Just wondering what the results were if you did.

Any colored chassis parts that I have seen were painted... It would be nice if Kyosho were to make the small parts set in white... for easy painting or dying.
Old 2008.04.24, 02:08 AM   #11
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Have you dyed an unpainted body? Just wondering what the results were if you did.

Any colored chassis parts that I have seen were painted... It would be nice if Kyosho were to make the small parts set in white... for easy painting or dying.
EMU, I've never tried dyeing an unpainted body before, I always wanted to try it though.. As far as painting the top case and small parts, I could see doing that on a display/show chassis.. I don't know if I'd do it to a car I planned on racing and maintaining a lot, too easy to scratch or chip the paint..
Old 2008.04.24, 02:23 AM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLGEESE View Post
EMU, I've never tried dyeing an unpainted body before, I always wanted to try it though.. As far as painting the top case and small parts, I could see doing that on a display/show chassis.. I don't know if I'd do it to a car I planned on racing and maintaining a lot, too easy to scratch or chip the paint..
I think thats why Dave wants to dye it
Old 2008.04.24, 09:32 AM   #13
danieluki

Any example picture of dyed piece...?
Just to see how good is the final superficial finish...
danieluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.24, 04:32 PM   #14
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

Back in my Overland obsessed days I tried to dye a few OL chassis' black.
I used very low heat, but I guess not low enough. I warped all of them.
However, upon reading these posts, if you were to use very warm tap water and time, you'd probably not warp anything and get good results.

Last edited by stuZ; 2008.04.24 at 04:55 PM.
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote