Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.09.14, 12:17 PM   #1
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

Tire choice for RCP surface

Front Slick R 30 or 40 almost always work on all tracks. I find Slick R30 having a little more grip than slick R 40. ( AR232 / AR233). Some people like AR-143 but it may have too much grip initially for some people. Atomic front tires do not come off the rims easily like the stock tire size. The overall diameter is a little smaller when mounted compared to stock Kyosho tires.

Slick R tires

AR-143 Groove 40D

For Rear it's hard to say, it all depends on the track. I have some prototype ATM rear tires that totally do not work at some tracks; but work flawlessly at newer high grip RCP surface. Give AR-244-W08 a try.

Atomic-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.14, 09:46 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The tire that I use most is AR-004, 40d Standard Competition. Its a slick, but doesnt have the rounded sidewall that the Slick-R has. I feel that it has a little more grip than the slick R on turn in due to the sidewall bite. The Slick-R has a little more grip than the Standard Competition. I believe it to be related to the compound, as I have trued both down very thin when testing. The AW40 trued to a slick has the most grip of the same compound ATM front tires as a slick. They are also a little wider if I remember correctly.

I almost exclusively use slick tires in the front. They offer a more progressive grip level, compared to radials that have so much grip as soon as you start to turn the wheel, but cause the car to chatter or traction roll when you get to the limit. I have had good results with the AW40, but I like to scrub them in a good amount. When they are new they grab too early. On very tight layouts, these work very well. High speed layouts, they are a little too edgy.

I use 30d fronts when I want a little more steering into the corner, but dont need as much steering out. I feel that the 40d gives me a smoother/slower entrance, but a little more steering on the exit than the 30d when I get on power.

For rear tires, I LOVED the older ATM 8d radials. I didnt use ANYTHING else when they were around for stock classes, and ran them for a good amount of time without needing to use new ones. For mod, they were good when new, but after 4-5 runs, they didnt have enough grip for medium grip tracks, but were perfect on high grip tracks. The Kyosho 20d radials dont work until they wear nearly to a slick for me. Then they are good. Right now I am using Kyosho rear tires, either 20d radials or LM depending on the class. They seem to work the best for me, I just wish that I could find a tire like the old ATM 8d.
Old 2010.09.19, 09:23 PM   #3
nyourgrill

When will the Atomic AR-232's be in stock ?

I can't find these anywhere.
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.19, 10:31 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyourgrill View Post
I can't find these anywhere.
They are available here:
http://store.hkshobby.com/product_in...oducts_id=2970

I checked a lot of different places, and they are the only ones that have these tires.
Old 2010.09.20, 02:10 PM   #5
the stig

can somebody tell me if Atomic AR 145 are for rcp or carpet?
the stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.20, 05:12 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

AR-145 (20d AW-Groove Wide), works well for AWD on RCP. 2WD stock motors you can get away with them, but any higher power, and you are fighting for grip. On a very high grip track, they may be an option, but most tracks that I race at that are medium grip, I need a little more grip. They need to break in a little and have the tread wear down to get their best grip.
Old 2010.09.20, 09:59 PM   #7
nyourgrill

thanks EMU
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.20, 10:03 PM   #8
miketre

How about narrow tires for the rear? Does anyone has any experience with the following?
AR-001 - 10 degree Racing Tire for Narrow offset
AR-230 - Mini-Z Slick R Tire 10* (N)
AR-257-N10 - 050 V Pattern Tire Narrow 10 Degree

I have tried the competition 20d and the Kyosho 30d radials, and they did not work for me. the rear slid out too much under acceleration.

I have good experience with the narrow A.W tires in the rear - AR-140 & AR-141 (10d and 20d groove).
The 10d has more grip but more prone to traction roll if I pushed the car too hard. The 20d has lesser traction but my car will tend to spin out than traction roll if I pushed it too hard. I will choose either one of these 2 depending on the traction level of the track.
miketre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.20, 10:20 PM   #9
EMU
EMUracing

As funny as it sounds, I had good results using the narrow AW-40d rears on a 90mm RM car a while back. It was a 70t MR015 Countache. I think I had 3Racing 10d AWD tires on the front then... The car hooked up surprisingly well. This was on RCP, and in general, the higher degree has more rubber in the compound, and grips better. The lower degrees have more silicone, which works better on carpet.
Old 2010.09.21, 12:17 PM   #10
the stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
AR-145 (20d AW-Groove Wide), works well for AWD on RCP. 2WD stock motors you can get away with them, but any higher power, and you are fighting for grip. On a very high grip track, they may be an option, but most tracks that I race at that are medium grip, I need a little more grip. They need to break in a little and have the tread wear down to get their best grip.
thanks EMU for your answer!
the stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.21, 07:21 PM   #11
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

Thanks to EMU for answering the questions before I saw the replies. Customers may first check if TinyRC has the parts you need. Also, ask your local hobby shops to carry them. If you need to buy direct please visit: www.egrracing.com
Old 2010.10.12, 08:41 PM   #12
Felix2010

Thank you Sai & Emu for the tire info, greatly appreciated guys

I would like to know about the Atomic V-groove fronts, AR-257-N30; Are they any good for RCP? Would they be another option in addition to Competition Front 30/40 and SlickR Front 30/40's ?
Old 2010.10.12, 09:01 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

They are more of a carpet tire, but can work on RCP depending on the setup.
Old 2010.10.13, 08:34 AM   #14
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
We run AW groove 10º at rear, and 10º or 20º at front in Galpas racing, SP, Brazil.

It's a carpet low grip layout with ups and downs, a little bumpy at some parts... so, it's a very exigent track!
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.20, 09:53 AM   #15
Atomic-USA
Customer/dealer support

The AR-142 (30D A.W. Groove Narrow.) works very well on my AWD as rear tires on RCP. I am starting to dislike AWD with N and W tires combined. I think the AWD runs better when all four tires are same width(Narrow or Wide) and maybe with same offset, more experiments are needed.

Miketre, what surface do you run on in Singapore? Do you have a link to the local track?

Last edited by Atomic-USA; 2010.10.20 at 10:31 AM.