Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.03.23, 02:47 AM   #1
crusader4x

GPM Motor Mistake?

Did I make a mistake?
I just purchased (don't have it yet) a Megatech Hi Torque and Speed motor for my Ferrari F1 Mini-Z.
I've read on other boards that I need to purchase a motor mount to use some Megatech motors with Mini-Z's.
Will I have a problem with this motor?
Also, I've read about some concerns others had using non-Kyosho motors with Mini-Z's and frying ESC's.
I don't plan on installing the Megatech Motor without the Eagle Power Booster that I've also recently ordered.
Am I going to fry my ESC by using the Megatech Motor w/Eagle Power Booster set-up?
crusader4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.03.23, 04:33 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

F1 and motors

crusader4x,

I own a few Mini-Z's including an F1, so I'm sure I can help.

The Mini-Z car's motor mount can be replaced with the GPM alloy mount made specifically for the GPM motors, these motors have a screw for adjustment instead of spacers. This type of GPM motor will not fit in a standard motor mount or in an F1.
There are a few makes of alloy mounts made for the normal diameter 130 motors for Mini-Z cars.

The F1 can only accept normal diameter 130 motors. The motor cradle on the F1 cannot be replaced, so you can only use a standard diameter motor in the F1 chassis.
So, things like X-Speeds and NML motors do work.

As for using Tamiya 'plasma-dash' and non-Mini-Z motors, beware, you do so at the risk of killing your Mini-Z's ESC.
The Mini-Z ESC handles about 0.58A of power, some of these motors draw in excess of 4A or Amp(ere)s.
To get past this a Turbo can be used, there are decent, small Turbos available for the F1. Contact Mini-Z for pricing and availability at the Mini-ZRacer.com Shop

My recommendation is an X-Speed with no Turbo for an F1. Works the charm. Want more? Then try and get hold of one of those scarce, limited edition NML Evader motors. These can also be used without a Turbo. I have one in my F1 and it flies.

Leave those Tamiya 3 volt Mini-4WD motors alone, they are dangerous.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.03.23, 09:09 AM   #3
Hardtrukr
No it isnt my Stratos....

Send a message via AIM to Hardtrukr
hey, he/she get a motor can (or use your stock one), right and replace the bushings on that can/endbell with the bearings! (just need to know how to get it apart, maybe de-solder it.) i dont know, just a suggestion
Old 2002.03.23, 10:38 AM   #4
Russ
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Russ
I have the GPM torque/speed motor, and it is in a normal 130 sized can. I don't know about megatech, but they should be the same as GPM. I also have the GPM torque motor, which is a little bigger.

The GPM torque/speed is almost the same exact motor as the XSpeed in terms of performance, so there is no doubt in my mind that the ESC will be fine without a turbo.

I hope megatech's T/S motor is the same size as GPM's!!

--------------------------------------------
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote