Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.01.15, 05:08 PM   #46
ruf
4play

Re: Message to Joe aka ruf

As with many things in life, it's not about length, it's all about the width.

Mini-Z is 1/28 scale. The Colt is advertised as a 1/24 scale so I argue again that the two are not comparable. Being that the wheelbase is adjustable on the Colt, what truly defines it's scale is the width. Just because Colt chose a short wheelbase does not make it a smaller scale. I actually find this as one of the faults of the Colt seeing as how all of the bodies are horrifically unproportional.

Just my opinions,
Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
Joe,

the Colt is compareable to the Mini Z because the actual length of the chassis is not as long as the ABC DTM. The Colt's chassis is only 3mm longer than the Mini Z's are, and it's adjustable like the Mini Z as well. I'm sure you cannot make a clear judgement of the size of the car's chassis, but I can assure you - the Colt is written as a 1/24 but hasn't been scaled down properly (hence a very wider stance for stability compared to the Kyosho Mini Z). The Mini's width is 65mm where as the Colt's width is 80mm.

Hope that clears a few things up.

Cheers~!
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 05:13 PM   #47
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
To Wedge

Wedge,

If I were you, order some spare parts and all the optional parts together in one go (saves you time and also the hassle in future to have to get more parts, unless you are like me: both my parents are in Taiwan and they visit me once every 3 months). So I have really no problems with having to wait. If my Colt happens to break down (which I doubt since I have stopped crashing cars about 4 years ago), I still have my Kyosho Mini Z to play with.

Be especially careful when installing the rear shock set. Do NOT overtighten or use a sharp object to hold the nut in place as you will damage the carbon firbre top chassis.

When installing ball bearings (which was a real hassle on the rear end of the car). Carefully disassemble the back of your car and be very very careful that you don't snap the motor mounts (becuse you have to remove pretty much then entire rear end of the car to put the ball bearings into thw centre axel and when they came factory built - they were very very tightly pushed in place, so don't break anything.

Hope this helps. If you need further tips for any other optional parts - just give me a yell. These are the only problems I've experienced so far in constructing the Colt, but I personally don't think that's it's too much of a hassle.

Also, there is a possibility that the Colt will be doing something insane - having a mini 2 speed gearbox, like the old 1/10 kyosho electric cars. So keep an eye out for it, as my friend said they might be releasing one...

Hope you can find one Wedge~!

Cheers
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 05:20 PM   #48
Justin

Message to Ruf aka Joe

The body is still proportional except the only part which isn't proportional is the car's spoiler. The spoiler is not so well done up as it's a one piece body. But otherwise - I have another 4 McLaren die casts and have measured it - but it is in proportion, so I do not know what is going on. I think Colt has decided to make it's width wider than Kyosho to eliminate the annoying jumpy feeling when you enter a corner at high speed and also when you go over a bump. The wider width gives it so much more stability, but I have to say - the ride height of the car also makes a difference (the Colt is about 3mm off the ground, making harder than the Mini to run as you have to run it on very very smooth ground so you don't damage the chassis). So far that's not a big hassle for me as I go to the local shopping centre's bitumen car park which is bumpless and crackless so far.

Also - by having the width wider than kyosho - they have also been able to lower their car's for better centre of gravity (as well as the battery placement which is on the bottom of the chassis not on the side like the Kyosho Mini). The bodies are a lot lower than the Kyosho Mini bodies and hence would also be more aerodynamic technically speaking.

Cheers~!
Old 2002.01.15, 05:28 PM   #49
Wedginator

Send a message via ICQ to Wedginator Send a message via MSN to Wedginator
sure thing.... thanks....
Wedginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 05:58 PM   #50
ruf
4play

I'm sorry, but I think the body looks pretty ugly. I'm not dogging your Harrah's FIA GT paint scheme, because I think that looks great. Just the lines of the car and the placement of the details is all wrong. Maybe the picture is distorted or something, but the car looks off to me. Halfway between the F1 and the longtail. One of the reasons that I love Mini-Z and Micro RS4 so much more than their counterparts is the realism of the bodies and the proportionality of the wheels. ABC's new bodies for their 1/24 are beggining to look good though. You can always mount static bodies as well and the Colt might be a great vehicle for that. The teeny little wheels will need some work though! Perfect for a Mini Cooper, but a Maclaren? :rolleyes
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 06:47 PM   #51
Justin

Cool message to Ruf

Ruf,

the car looks distorted and same with my other previous photos because I'm using a webcam to take the photos - not a digital cam. That could clear up a few things for other people as well who have looked at the photo. The detail on the car is there but I have to admit - Kyosho still have a better body, but they don't make the McLaren F1 GTR which has been my favourite car ever since it came out and is still my favourite car to date (even though production of them has stopped).

Cheers Ruf~!
Old 2002.01.15, 07:11 PM   #52
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Just for Justin

Justin,

So, your a BIG McLaren fan?

Well, here's a picture of tiny but amazingly detailed 1:87 McLaren Supercar. I also use a webcam and placed my CLK alongside for size perspective..

Mondo
Old 2002.01.15, 07:21 PM   #53
Justin

Yes, I'm a BIG McLaren F1 GTR Fan

Have a look at this one - my limited edition West FM McLaren against the Mini Beetle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 29.jpg (27.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 2002.01.15, 07:24 PM   #54
yodarc
it's alive!

Mondo,

That Mc ,is it R/C? This probably an extremely stupid question

Mike
yodarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 07:24 PM   #55
Wedginator

Send a message via ICQ to Wedginator Send a message via MSN to Wedginator
oooooo... now that's some eye candy....
Wedginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 07:28 PM   #56
Mondo

Yodarc's Question

Yodarc,

At a scale of 1:87, never! I wish it was! It's tiny..

Here's a post of more pics:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...=&threadid=861

Mondo
Old 2002.01.15, 07:34 PM   #57
Justin

Talking My McLaren F1 GTR Collection

Here is my McLaren Collection.

Hope you like it... the two in the center are covers for my Colt....

Cheers~!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 25.jpg (27.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 2002.01.15, 07:37 PM   #58
yodarc
it's alive!

Those are absolutely beautiful models, especially considering the
scale,.....with the things going on in technology today, like nano-tech,
I'll bet it won't be long.

Mike
yodarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.15, 07:39 PM   #59
Mondo

Tomorrow Justin cries..

Justin,

To be honest, I am no McLaren fan..

But I do own a 1:18 McLaren F1 (2000 Model) signed by one David Coulthard..

I am a BIG Formula-1 fan, that's how I came to getting the car!

Tomorrow I will photograph it in natural light and submit a picture for you to see..

I would gladly swap it for a Colt though...

Mondo
Old 2002.01.15, 07:42 PM   #60
Justin

Message to Mondo

Mondo,

sorry, I wouldn't trade my Colt yet for a McLaren die cast. Why, cause I'm pretty much broke after buying the Mini Z parts and upgrade the Colt and it's optional parts...

Go a bit charger Mondo~! Think you have one already if I don't remember wrongly....

Cheers~!

PS, can you please post a photo of the McLaren you have.. Thanks~!