Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.04.16, 01:00 AM   #1
TeeSquared
Redline

Visting Japan.

Hey all.

I will soon (early May) be venturing overseas to visit Japan for a week! I will be in Tokyo for 4 days and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hobby shops or Mini-Z tracks to visit. I have a few in mind already, thanks to the awesome write up by herman.

Other general suggestions, places to eat, sights to see, places to visit, are also welcome I will be in Tokyo, Mt Fuji, Kyoto, and Hiroshima.

Thanks in advance!
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.16, 05:21 AM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Although I haven't been there since the 60's I would recommend Peace Park and the Kirin Brewery in Hiroshima.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.16, 09:08 AM   #3
herman

wow i am happy for you.... if you can try to get to rc super rajicon in akihabara... it is a pretty big shop with a rcp track to boot... i know that there is a track that recently opened in tokyo... i will post details of it soon... the site though is in japanese so i guess you can link it to google translate for an english translation...

i don't know if you got to see my other article on kyoto, osaka ----> click me

i was told that the biggest track is in kyoto... west mini-z link... but it was closed when i passed by...

osaka was quite a surprise! rc super rajikon has an unsuspecting shop there...biggest shop/mini-z track i've visited...

if you can rent a pocket wifi... do so... it will definitely be worth more than it's weight... and they're not particularly heavy... turn it on and stuff it in your bag... google maps are quite a help and so is a translation app...

try to get a suica or passmo card ---> click for more info... it's a prepaid loadable travel card that you use while using public transport... saves you time looking for change... plus you can make purchases in stores that process suica/passmo card payments...

food is fantastic... for fresh seafood try the tsukiji fish market, you'll have to get there early though... i hear that they will transfer this to someplace else... other places to see... asakusa, ginza, shibuya, shinjuku, ueno... so much to see and do actually...

good luck and don't forget to tell us of your travels and post them pics!!!

Last edited by mleemor60; 2018.04.16 at 12:21 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.17, 01:10 AM   #4
herman

Here's that link to the new track

Click here ---> PASSAGE
Old 2018.04.27, 04:35 PM   #5
TeeSquared
Redline

Thanks all for the replies Much appreciated.

I am contemplating taking a car and radio with me to use at either the Kyosho store or at rc super rajicon, but I'm pretty nervous about taking a nice car/radio with me and possibly loosing it/having it confiscated. Has anyone ever taken a Mini-Z with them on Vacation and if so, how did it go?

The other thought was to visit either store and buy a new MA-03F and run it on their track (Leaning towards this - I think it would be a really fun experience!) This way I'd only be bringing a car one way (home) with me, and I wouldn't have to travel with one of my nice radios.

Thanks again to all who replied. I leave a week today and am super excited!
Old 2018.04.28, 08:17 AM   #6
herman

Don't think it'll be confiscated. I've traveled with just the car and radio kt18 in my carry on with no problems. Pack things well and just remember to check in your tools and other small parts. Check with your airline if you can carry on your batteries or if they require you to check them in.

And yes you can just purchase the rtr kit over there too if you want too. The front wheel drive seems interesting but wish kyosho kept it on the asf platform. Parts are aplenty and quite reasonably priced.

Don't forget to post your pics when you get back. Any itinerary in particular?
Old 2018.05.22, 12:43 AM   #7
herman

How was your trip?
Old 2018.05.24, 06:10 PM   #8
TeeSquared
Redline

It was fantastic! A really amazing adventure. I wish I'd had longer than a week but as it was, I came home exhausted and 10lb lighter from hauling luggage and exploring almost entirely on foot On our longest day, we walked 18 Km around Tokyo.

The food was incredible, other than a night spent in Hakane at a traditional Japanese Inn. They only served seafood, and neither myself or my girlfriend can tolerate seafood at all. We went hungry for a few days At least there was rice!

I did visit RC Super Rajikon in Tokyo. Loved it. I could spend obscene amounts of money there. The mini-Z selection was a little picked over but still miles better than any other hobby shop I've seen. Unfortunately there was a bit of a language barrier, and my translation app was obviously butchering what I was trying to say since my questions mostly elicited puzzled looks from the staff. Still thought it was a great place. It seems that Super Rajikon is in a neighborhood that has all kinds of hobby stores as I spent most of the afternoon wandering around them. Japanese model railways are particularly noteworthy, as are some of the bizarre/creepy, photo-realistic Anime & Manga figurines.

The rest of Japan was exciting and beautiful. The bullet trains are a real thrill. The subway in Tokyo during rush hour was insane, and as a 6' tall white guy with a wardrobe of brightly colored clothing, I stood out (literally) like a sore thumb in a sea of conservative business attire. The Peace Museum and A-bomb Dome in Hiroshima really stand out for me. It's an unforgettable experience to hear the story of the atomic bomb from the Japanese peoples perspective. We were fortunate enough to meet some survivors while we were there, both on an entirely impromptu basis. I was very fortunate to be traveling with people who spoke Japanese at this point. It's a little surreal to speak with someone that has survived and atomic blast used in anger.

Japan is absolutely amazing. The culture is wonderful. The people are kind. The food is delicious. Everything about it was unforgettable. I can't wait to go back!

Last edited by TeeSquared; 2018.10.11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 2018.07.17, 08:57 AM   #9
herman

Wow . Just saw your reply. Thanks for sharing. Glad you enjoyed Japan. It never ceases to amaze me everytime I visit.

Off-topic....
I just noticed you're from Vancouver... just came back from there a couple of weeks ago. Got to experience Canada day! Lots of things to see and do. Got to see capilano bridge, grouse mountain and biked around Stanley park. Lovely place, would really love to go back.

Any mini-z shops/tracks in Vancouver? (That's one thing I missed)
Old 2018.07.17, 09:10 AM   #10
herman

Quote:
On our longest day, we walked 18 Km around Tokyo.
Oh my. You could have purchased a passmo or suica card. This is a Prepaid refillable card that allows you to ride the train JR, subway (metro and toei lines), and some busses. You can also use it to pay for purchases at some establishments like family mart etc. available to use in most of Japan.

There's also a 24 / 48 or 72 hour ride all you can subway card for metro and toei lines.
Old 2018.07.17, 07:52 PM   #11
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
If I'd noticed this thread before.... Chiba has (or had) a shop whose owner was friends with Kyosho's prez himself and I had a nice long chat when I went there in 2012.

https://skvltd.wordpress.com/2012/06...-garage-chiba/

Somehow I never made it out to the Akiba superstore, but Mandrake out there is simply amazing. Otherwise, I've bumped into various random brick and mortars while exploring about.
Old 2018.07.20, 01:50 AM   #12
herman

just visited the link thanks for sharing... wow pretty interesting to know that the owner of the track has close ties with the kyosho president...

pardon my ignorance... what do you mean by the akiba superstore and mandrake? are they both shops/stores?
Old 2018.07.20, 01:51 AM   #13
herman

hey tee squared... mind posting some pics?