Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.08.22, 03:17 PM   #16
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Speed checker depends mainly on gear ratio. Was the X-Speed tested at the same ratio as the Speedy BB? My X-Speed that I used to run was very punchy, but did not have as much high end as the Speedy BB, which is why I compare it closely to the Speedy 05. One major drawback of the X-Speed is the lack of a BB can. Which is why it is not worth changing the can, because for less money, you can get a PN Speedy 05 BB, Speedy NM, or Atomic Stock BB.

With the Speedy NM and 8t I get about 29-31kph, Speedy 05 got about 27-29kph, Speedy BB got about 31-33kph. Every motor even in the same production line will perform different. Break in counts a bit, make sure that the brushes sit on the comm well.
No, we didn't standardize the pinion either- this was just a real informal check on the speed checker, rather then a controlled comparison. I don't think anyone was running more then a 7 tooth though.

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.22, 03:40 PM   #17
Lionblade
Honor & a shot of sake.

Send a message via AIM to Lionblade Send a message via MSN to Lionblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Speed checker depends mainly on gear ratio. Was the X-Speed tested at the same ratio as the Speedy BB? My X-Speed that I used to run was very punchy, but did not have as much high end as the Speedy BB, which is why I compare it closely to the Speedy 05. One major drawback of the X-Speed is the lack of a BB can. Which is why it is not worth changing the can, because for less money, you can get a PN Speedy 05 BB, Speedy NM, or Atomic Stock BB.

With the Speedy NM and 8t I get about 29-31kph, Speedy 05 got about 27-29kph, Speedy BB got about 31-33kph. Every motor even in the same production line will perform different. Break in counts a bit, make sure that the brushes sit on the comm well.
Actually, I didn't break in the handout motor at all on Saturday...just ran a lot of practice, heh. Dunno, mine seemed fast from the start. It was hard to drive with 100% throttle, it was flying and sliding all over the place. Blast to drive though. Johnathon broke his in, but the one he got seemed really slow...he only did about 17kph on the Tamiya, even with my IC3's and his 7t(even though I told him to move to 8t, because he likes to try and power past me out of turns...not gonna happen while he's running a 7 and I'm on a 9..even with 65% throttle. )

He was having real problems with his diff, too. I felt bad for him, 'cause Joe and Al kept switching the setup back and forth for a little while. They were areguing on whether or not it was too loose. Obviously it was, you could hear his car over a 747. I think you played around with it for a little bit, too, and Johnathan seemed to like it. Though, he told me after our main that Joe had changed it right before the main, which screwed him up.

I have the Speedy BB that Mag gave me, but I'm not sure I'm gonna swap it for the 05, I like it so far. I didn't even realize it was a BB until Mag took it out again to put the handout in..I thought it was an 05 for a while.

When Mag replaced the FET last week, I think he went a little nuts. He replaced almost all the the rusty screws on my chassis(which I couldn't get out...otherwise I woulda did it myself), used one of your plastic motor mounts to replaced mine, which was held with the Loctite I wound up giving to Mag anyway. He also fixed the positioning of the rear dampner...which I didn't know was wrong. At the time it was put in, Bobby had helped me.. I don't think $35 was a bad deal for all that. Thr FET alone would normally be twice that, and then Al would've had to replaced it..no doubt he'd charge for it, not that I'd blame him.

There's plenty of option with my car. I don't even have an alloy motor pod, even though some people list that as a priority upgrade.
I would get one at the LHS, but Al wants about $40 for it...but he also wants $50 for an ASC, which is why I got my SLR at the shop here. (Great service, by the way! Mini-Z even put a "thank you" on the shipping box. )

Also, is you see him, can you ask Mag to bring my aluminum spacers? He swapped them for plastics because he thought they broke the motor pod..which isn't true, it had been broken since a week after I bought the car.
Lionblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.22, 03:53 PM   #18
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Ill speak to Mag about the spacers. If you want to use one of my PN Motor mounts for a little while, let me know. I have more mounts coming in on an order than I have cars right now. I can get a similar mount to the PN MM for $20. I want to pick one up to compare to the PN, then if you want it, you can have it.

The main thing you need right now is a rear roll damper. I would go with the PN disc damper that I have on my modena since it can be used on an 94mm or 98mm MM setup. I think Al has them for around $27 (at Kenon, they are about $24).

Magic does good work. If there is anything slightly wrong with a car he is repairing, he will fix it. I would have done the same.

Speedy BB is Magics favorite motor. PN just released the Speedy 05 BB wish they released it before I bought the Speedy 05. I mainly bought the 05 because I knew that was what we were going to be racing in the PN race... So Magic had some practice time with that motor for the last 2 weeks.

Last edited by EMU; 2005.08.22 at 03:56 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote