Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.09.01, 03:35 PM   #16
rcmichie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
This thread presents a very simple way to install the KO RF-901SM module into the Futaba 4PK or 4PKS transmitter so it can be used to control a Mini-Z, Dnano etc.

I realize there is already a thread for this topic however the information given isn't super clear. This howto is to present a clear and simple mod for people.

This mod requires only the 4PK, the RF-901SM module, heatshrink, a servo extension and some double-sided tape.
Only 6 solder connections are required!

Here we go:

#1 - Open up the plastic casing of the RF-901SM module, carefully remove the board from the casing, make sure the antenna is straight and the antenna wire will gently pull out. Cut your servo extension and solder it to the three points on the bottom of the board as shown in this picture:

#2 - Remove the black plastic extension on the bind button and then slip some heatshrink over the tx module. Lightly shrink it and then use a sharp knife to remove the material blocking access to the bind button and LED. You're goal is to have something that looks like this:

#3 - Open up the Futaba 4PK transmitter. You will need to remove the top push button(it pulls off) and the upper rubber grip as its hiding one of the screws. Once its open you can easily slide the battery tray out and set it a side. This is what the tray you're removing looks like:

#4 - Gently lift the trigger assembly and the charge jack PCB's out. They will both come out easily and can gently be moved out of the way so we have better access to solder the other end of the servo extension lead. Solder the three connections as shown here:

#5 - Put the charge jack PCB and trigger assembly back into place carefully. Make sure no wires are pinched or will get pinched when the back cover of the radio is reinstalled. Route the extension over to the right and then down the grip assembly. You will need to use a knife to cut a small notch in the top of the battery compartment so the extension will not get pinched when reinstalling the back cover. It should look something like this:

#6 - Reinstall the back cover of the 4PK making sure no wires are pinched. You can then apply some double-sided tape to the module and install it in the front of the battery compartment with the antenna routed along the back or front of the compartment. Plug the servo extension connectors together to complete the installation of the new transmit module. To keep the main battery pack from moving around I use a little double-sided tape on it, that way it will not fall out when binding a new car. The completed install should look like this:

#7 - Create a new model for use with your Mini-Z, Dnano etc. The default settings you should use are:

RXSYS - RX TYPE: FASST-C1
RESPONSE: NORMAL(GENERAL)

EPA - ST LFT: 50
ST RGT: 50
TH FWD: 60
TH BRK: 60

SUBTR - TH :F 30

You can of course fine tune the settings from there - too much steering ATV can/will break the servo, so be careful turning it up!

To control your MiniZ you move the power switch to the left "DISP ON" position, to use Futaba FASST you move it to the right "PWR ON"

For binding just open the battery compartment, push the button and turn the 4PK on, wait for the LED to go out or dim and then push the bind button on your MiniZ and turn it on. Once the LED on the MiniZ turns on bright turn both the 4PK and the Mini-Z off and then back on.

As with any howto you perform this mod at your own risk. If its beyond your skill level ask a friend for help! Questions/comments let me know.

If you've just performed the mod welcome to a whole new world of Mini-Z control!
Works perfectly!!! However 1 small remark regarding step #7: after changing the radio to RXSYS - RX TYPE: FASST-C1 in DISP ON mode, you also need to switch off the radio and switch it on again (otherwise the radio stays in FASST-C2); it took me about an hour to find out why my mini-z didn't want to respond to any controls after the binding...
rcmichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 09:34 AM   #17
crf131

can you use the 902sm module for this conversion, seems everyone always uses the 901?
crf131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.05, 04:35 PM   #18
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf131 View Post
can you use the 902sm module for this conversion, seems everyone always uses the 901?
The 902sm doesn't use the same signal input format so it won't work. It must be a 901sm.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.15, 08:43 AM   #19
crf131

Thanks very much for your help. I was able to get everything running last night. Works flawlessly! (even better than the Eurus since you don't have to swap modules)
crf131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.01.08, 09:26 PM   #20
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

So what did I do wrong if I get full lock and full throttle? I haven't investigated thoroughly yet since I got a low battery warning but I'd like some advice for when I get a charge on it...

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.01.08, 10:08 PM   #21
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
So what did I do wrong if I get full lock and full throttle? I haven't investigated thoroughly yet since I got a low battery warning but I'd like some advice for when I get a charge on it...
Did you program the model memory for the proper receiver type?
Old 2014.01.08, 10:14 PM   #22
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

That sounds like my problem....

I'll let you know

my custom body album...
Old 2014.01.09, 07:45 AM   #23
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

yep....that was it. (reading all instructions is hard)

Looking forward to using my new for me radio!

my custom body album...
Old 2014.05.07, 11:07 AM   #24
dameetz

Anybody having a range issue with this mod? I modded my brand new 4PKSR with a brand new KO 901 Module following exactly like in this thread it, initially it worked fine but after 2 months of using it, sometimes when I switched on the car, it does not recognised the bind and if it did it takes a longer time (when it it did not recognised the bind usually I just switch it off and on again) during driving on the track I also noticed it lost its bind momentarilly for a couple of seconds, after that it worked back. Today, i decided to do a range check and found that my car stopped receiving signal just after like 20-25 ft. I also noticed the red light on the module sometimes flickered and this is the time when my car lost its bind, I checked all the wiring and everthing seems normal. What could be the problem?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.07, 11:35 AM   #25
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

If the light flickers then it is losing power albeit momentarily. Any power loss has to be attributable to a connection issue whether it seems normal or not. Look everything over more closely with magnification if necessary.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.07, 11:48 AM   #26
TheSteve
VE7FM

Yep, there is a loose connection somewhere, could even be in the connector if you used one.
Old 2014.05.07, 12:05 PM   #27
dameetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
If the light flickers then it is losing power albeit momentarily. Any power loss has to be attributable to a connection issue whether it seems normal or not. Look everything over more closely with magnification if necessary.
Thanks for your input, i ll closely check the wiring again tomorrow and possibly re do with a new wiring, hopefully that will be the case. I just dont want to buy another module just after 2 months of using it.

Maybe I should explain in detail about the 'red light flicker', it actually does not flicker on and off a few times (like if you have vibration on a loose connector), when i switch on the radio, sometimes the red light does not light up at all (like in off position) and without doing anything (like trying to knock/shake it)all of the sudden it light up. This happened during driving as well, sending my car without control for a few seconds until it light up again.

Now regarding the range issue, is it normal for an ASF transmission does not go out that far like the normal 2.4g radio with normal receiver? It is so frustrating at the moment coz we are moving to a bigger size rcp track. Maybe I did not noticed it before because the track was really small before this one and the car never travel that far from the driving stand. Is the 4PK 6v operating system limiting this range compare to what the module were design for?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.07, 01:20 PM   #28
TheSteve
VE7FM

The 2.4ghz module runs at 3 volts internally(it has its own regulator) so the 6 volts used in the Futaba is just fine. I haven't noticed any range issues myself. I am quite sure you have a wiring/connection issue or there is something wrong with your 2.4ghz module. I'd recommend you re-do the wiring, hopefully that solves the problem and the module is just fine.
Old 2017.02.26, 02:50 PM   #29
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I have one of these modules that has been modified, but I don't have one of the Futaba radios. Can I still plug in into my KO radio as is to see if it even works? Here is a picture of what I have. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4298.JPG (145.3 KB, 40 views)
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.02.26, 04:14 PM   #30
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Marwan, do you have a Euros radio? I don't remember. if you do I have a 902SM module available. I just picked up a 4PKS so maybe we can work something out.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote