Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.10.01, 06:50 PM   #31
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Anti-clockwise? Maybe he's left handed

I'll be there Sunday, but why are there two rules #6?

Last edited by Treadmule; 2010.10.02 at 12:06 AM.
Treadmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.01, 10:53 PM   #32
nyourgrill

Just curious....why not allow tires with silicone ? What tires do you suggest for a MR03 ?
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.02, 04:33 PM   #33
mugler

I'm planning to go on the 3rd or 4th Sunday in October. Will be taking my Zs and can't wait to run the dNano on this surface.

I heard silicone tires leave a residue which slicks up the track, rubber residue does not.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.03, 06:57 PM   #34
Treadmule
Tire Crew

I went to the track today and got 10 laps in before the steering pot on my Helios failed.

So, to round out my visit, I took a few more photos showing the new layout and some detail shots of the curbs. Kyosho VP Cliff Black said these curb pieces are sold by Kyosho as a set, but he wasn't sure if they had any in stock right now. Some detail shots of the track.

They are running this track counter-clockwise and it's a challenging circuit to get right. The surface is very smooth, but not "rubbered in" yet so its lacking some grip at this point. As I mentioned previously, the wooden rails can put some hurt on the cars, but it helps that this more technical track means lower speeds and that helps.

There were only a couple other visitors there during the short spell I was present. I hope Kyosho has plans to promote the raceway vigorously in order to draw racers out in Southern Callifornia. I intend to be a regular (if I can keep my equipo working...)

Last edited by Treadmule; 2010.10.04 at 12:05 AM.
Treadmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.08, 04:34 PM   #35
Tim Johnson

Who is going this weekend?
Old 2010.10.08, 05:46 PM   #36
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Yeah, got my tx fixed, so I'll be there.
Old 2010.10.10, 11:47 PM   #37
Treadmule
Tire Crew

I was at the track for about 3 hours today. Bruce Glick was the only other runner there. He was working on his MR-02 pan car, mounting his new lexan body & setup for the track.

I was testing tires & I still have more to try. So far, I like Atomic's 20 slicks (AR-002) in front & 20 grooved slicks (AR-006) in rear. Kyosho radials, 30 front & 20 rear work well too.
Old 2010.10.11, 09:43 AM   #38
Tim Johnson

That is disappointing. Come on folks! Kyosho has made a track at their USA headquarters. Please take the time give them a visit. The track is very nice, and food is a block away. I can only imagine that the welcome mat will be out for a short time, unless you show interest in the track.
Old 2010.10.11, 10:32 AM   #39
Mead

JMHO Fact is the old surface (and if it's anything like the new surface) was too slippery (that's why people were on the sauce ). Mini-zers are set up for RCP and this new surface equals more tuning, not worth it for just one track ! If Kyosho was RCP there will be bigger turnout - guaranteed.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 10:52 AM   #40
Tim Johnson

That is good info Mead, I am sure Kyosho is checking this thread out.

IMO I really like the new surface Kyosho has come up with. It did not take much to adjust my cars. If you are not carful you can make your car traction roll. And that is without the use of tire sauce.

All that I ask, if give them a chance, and have an open mind. When racing other scale R/C Cars, it is common practice to change your setup from track to track. Also, you can use the Mini-z setup sheets to keep track of your setups.
Old 2010.10.11, 10:53 AM   #41
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead View Post
JMHO Fact is the old surface (and if it's anything like the new surface) was too slippery (that's why people were on the sauce ). Mini-zers are set up for RCP and this new surface equals more tuning, not worth it for just one track ! If Kyosho was RCP there will be bigger turnout - guaranteed.
idk ....the surface is carpet.. no one was using sauce... however rubber tires work ok on this surface .... but carpet racing tires are 10x better.... but it is a silicone tire there for it is not allowed.....i will be going there next sunday in hopes that they addressed the curbing issue...

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 05:00 PM   #42
mugler

Planning to be there next Sunday as well for the first time! Gonna be a fun day

Regarding attendance a lot of planning & consistent long term promo work will need to happen for a core group to be showing up on a regular basis. Just because a track is open somewhere does not mean people will automatically start showing up. Mini-z attendance has it's own issues compared to other scales and promotion needs to be approached with those in mind.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 07:04 PM   #43
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Sauce on the Raceway?

I live just a couple miles from this track, so I want to see it succeed & I agree it'll take promotional effort to do that. ! I'll even volunteer to help out, if they want.

See a few posts back where I provided a link to photos of the track and the curbing, if you missed it.

Here's a shot of a new IC tag I bought at the track yesterday and installed on the bottom of my MR-03 and then ran for about an hour. There's something on the track that's black and sticky and it coated the tag, as you can see in the pic.
I showed it to the staff guy on duty, but he couldn't offer any suggestions. I dunno what it is.

Old 2010.10.11, 07:15 PM   #44
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Whatever it is will probably come off with some type of motor cleaner. You may want to protect it with a clear plastic sheild like you would use on the screen of an I-phone or other smart device.

I have never encountered this problem, so I am just making this advice up as I type. Whatever it is probably won't keep the tag from working it will just look bad, unless it is some type of solvent that will eventually eat through the plastic and into the circutry of the tag.

Is that the same surface that they use on the Hobbytown DNANO tracks, 20 rears and 30 fronts seamed to work pretty good on that surface when I tried running my Z on that surface.

Good luck
Old 2010.10.11, 07:31 PM   #45
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Could be the remains of tires worn into the track?