Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.07.19, 08:09 AM   #1
Sponge
Wheeeejj!..

Question Wich hotter motor with stock electronics?

Hi!
I'm looking in to buying a faster motor for my Comic racer and was wondering wich Atomic motor is the 'hottest' the stock electronics can handle? I don't want to go all creazy and replace all electronics to fit the 'hottest' motor available, I just want a bit of extra speed over the stock motor and keep using the original stock electronics

Thanks!

MF010 BMW F1 - MR02 Megane Trophy - MB010 Comic Racer Subaru WRX - MB010 Inferno MP9 TKI3
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.20, 12:46 PM   #2
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
Hi!
I'm looking in to buying a faster motor for my Comic racer and was wondering wich Atomic motor is the 'hottest' the stock electronics can handle? I don't want to go all creazy and replace all electronics to fit the 'hottest' motor available, I just want a bit of extra speed over the stock motor and keep using the original stock electronics

Thanks!
I will say 3 buggys have been outfitted with Atomic Chili motors at the Chicago Mini R/C club. Provided you run on smooth surfaces and don't do silly things like applying throttle while the car is facing a wall or has something binding the drive, you will be fine. I would NOT hand a car like this over who isn't experienced due to risk of frying the board.

Otherwise the dual ball bearing "Stock V" at 48t would probably be a great choice.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.21, 12:10 PM   #3
Sponge
Wheeeejj!..

Thanks

Do I need to keep the yellow thingy that's attached to the red lead on the stock motor for a new one to work? My other Mini-Z's don't have that, the Comic Racer (/buggy) is the first to have it, so I kinda don't know that it's for and if it's needed if I'm installing a new motor...

MF010 BMW F1 - MR02 Megane Trophy - MB010 Comic Racer Subaru WRX - MB010 Inferno MP9 TKI3
Old 2014.07.21, 12:17 PM   #4
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
Thanks

Do I need to keep the yellow thingy that's attached to the red lead on the stock motor for a new one to work? My other Mini-Z's don't have that, the Comic Racer (/buggy) is the first to have it, so I kinda don't know that it's for and if it's needed if I'm installing a new motor...
It's a poly cap. It is a type of circuit breaker. If it becomes too hot or too much current flows through it, the circuit will open and save your fets. There is power loss through here.

There is no harm in leaving it on. Performance may be impacted and it may trip a few times but it'll almost 100% guarantee you won't fry your fets.
Take it off and you'll get way more power delivery but lose the protection.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.21, 12:56 PM   #5
Sponge
Wheeeejj!..

Thank you I'll give it a try with and without to see how much it effects the car.

Old 2014.07.21, 01:15 PM   #6
Traveler
of both Time and Space

I also think the 48T "Stock V" would be the best choice, or the Stock R for a little more power. The Chili would worry me a little in an AWD vehicle without upgraded FETs.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.21, 03:06 PM   #7
Sponge
Wheeeejj!..

I went with the Stock V I can't wait to see how it performs

Old 2014.07.21, 03:53 PM   #8
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Speed and torque will be noticibly more than stock. Don't think you'll be disappointed. One of my favorite motors.
Old 2014.07.21, 03:54 PM   #9
Sammich

I was doing some work w/ a 35t this past weekend...on a stock board

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.21, 03:57 PM   #10
Traveler
of both Time and Space

But that was a 2wd car. This is an awd buggy, so a lot more drivetrain strain.