Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.01.26, 02:47 PM   #1
LJH

94mm Bodies?

So far I have run a 575GTC and a 360GTC both of which I enjoy driving and look great on the track. What other 94mm bodies are considered “fast”? I prefer European cars but I am digging the C5 Corvette set up for so e endurance racing.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.26, 03:50 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
If i recall correctly, the F430 GT was a fairly popular 94mm racing body.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.26, 04:45 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

The only other 94mm body that hasn't already been mentioned above that I feel is in the "can be fast" category is the 350Z.

After that, most wheel offsets are 0 or .5, and it's just harder to be competitive. I still have a Takata NSX and an Esso Supra in my mix, but the minute I try to keep up with everyone else, I roll.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 02:36 PM   #4
mugler

Having pretty extensive experience with 94mm bodies in the post 350Z era I can share the aforementioned F430GT in our neck of the woods was clearly the fastest of the fast 94mm body followed by F360GT (more neutral but still very fast) & Lexus SC430 (more steering but slightly slower than 430/360) topping out the fastest three bodies in that order. Non GT versions of f430/360 are slower than their GT counterparts. Availability of Lexan windows for all three bodies is a contributing factor so is the ability to use +2R/+1F offsets. Fitment of +2 rear wheels requires both thining out and raising rear wheel wells though the process is very straightforward.

350Z's are a good mention due to accommodating +2 rears by default and maybe wider w/mods however I feel even if Lexan windows were available for them which are not the couple of versions I got my hands on were too heavy and too neutral in handling to hang with top three 94mm bods mentioned above.

Chad Nelson, past multiple PNWC Champ including a triple class win was always the fastest driver in Stock class at all PNWC's he attended running his 94mm/F430 car against mostly (if not all) 98mm field even after it was established 98mm's were faster in general...I believe he was also the last to win a PNWC stock class with 94mm WB.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 03:23 PM   #5
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
The only other 94mm body that hasn't already been mentioned above that I feel is in the "can be fast" category is the 350Z.

After that, most wheel offsets are 0 or .5, and it's just harder to be competitive. I still have a Takata NSX and an Esso Supra in my mix, but the minute I try to keep up with everyone else, I roll.
You can roll a Supra? Something must be up with your 94mm setup as any Supra i mount on my 94 makes it super neutral and stable.

If you're willing to "cheat" a bit and make a lightweight, nimble and balanced 94mm buy a McLaren F1 (original not longtail) and grind out the rear wheel well to fit 94mm. I used to slay with this setup in my brushed motor days.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.27, 09:17 PM   #6
herman

Nice read... heres a link to a mini-z body guide...

http://mini-z-guide.com/bodies.htm

Although the 575 is listed as the widest offset (+2.5 front +3 rear)... I can't really say this would translate to the fastest... it looks like a bigger body and although i haven't weighed it, i suspect it may be heavier than the other bodies mentioned above...

You might also want to look into the nsx 2005 and 2007... which have +2 front and rear offsets, and a short body with shorter front and rear overhang...

Good luck with your search...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.28, 06:29 AM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I find the older NSX bodies to be very top heavy as they wide high and are rather heavy. My son has the sealtbelt takata NSX and it traction rolls everywhere.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.28, 10:29 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
My favorite 94 bodies are f430gt, f360gtc, 2004/5 350z JGTC, followed by 2007 350z JGTC. The 2007 I always preferred at 96 ot 98mm, due to the long rear overhang. Same with F50. F50 was an amazing sleeper at 98mm, often overlooked but had REALLY good performance. It was ok at 94mm, but I wouldn't put it high on the list unless traction was very low. Notable mentions are the Corvette C5r, AMG CLK 2000 or newer version (Vodafone or black)... these are listed for the mr01 chassis, but came with +2.5N front wheels and fit wide front perfectly.

For narrow 94mm bodies, the 360z s-tune was VERY good, and could compete against some of the top bodies in a "stock" power class. Other notable bodies would be the GT-R and BRZ.
Old 2020.02.03, 09:07 AM   #9
LJH

Thanks all. Like I mentioned I have a F360GTC and it is running well. I did end up buying a reasonably priced C5 Corvette so I am looking forward to seeing how that runs. The Supra is another body I may have to try, I think 4th Gen Supra is a good looking car for sure.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 2020.02.05, 12:15 AM   #10
herman

Ah really nice body choices...
I remember back in the day, the 2000 clk was practically bulletproof...
Ferrari's also were nice to look at and run... the corvette c5r is pretty cool too... wide and low... never had the chance to try a f50 though so might be something interesting to try... and the jgtc cars... nsx Honda's, 350z Nissan's and Toyota's supra... nice to try all of them out...

Good luck!
Old 2020.02.06, 09:32 AM   #11
LJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
never had the chance to try a f50 though so might be something interesting to try

I will let you know what I think of the C5.

As for the F50 I personally think it is the ugliest Ferrari ever made by a long shot. I like to run cars I think are pretty ;-).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 2020.02.06, 03:12 PM   #12
mugler

C5 is one of the most distinctive and IMO good looking bodies going around the track, its not going to be one of the fastest but it does drive stable and feels sure footed wheeling it around.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.02.07, 12:51 AM   #13
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
As for the F50 I personally think it is the ugliest Ferrari ever made by a long shot. I like to run cars I think are pretty ;-).
Jim
Lol yep have to agree with you on that aspect.... and as long as EMU has been racing... I am intrigued by his sleeper comment about it... thus given the chance... I would like to try one out sometime...
Old 2020.02.07, 01:17 AM   #14
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
C5 is one of the most distinctive and IMO good looking bodies going around the track, its not going to be one of the fastest but it does drive stable and feels sure footed wheeling it around.
At the time it came out... to me, it was the nicest bodies I've seen and driven... on a mr01 with the minimum hop ups to make it perform - softer tires, bearings, ball diff, carbon fiber plate, a top shock, a mzr motor (anybody remember that motor?) and modified fets... it was zooming around a carpet track... those were the days...
Old 2020.03.05, 10:44 AM   #15
LJH

Here is my comparison between the C5R and 360GTC, at some point I will edit this and include the 575GTC.

I have put a couple thousand laps on this months Mini 96 World Challenge circuit and I am pretty darn consistent at this point. This morning I ran the C5R and the 360GTC back to back to compare the two. My 94mm car is a MR03 RWD Stock Car which has a PN70 in an Atomic 94mm V5 pod, PN Disk Dampener, Reflex Adjustable Upper Tower, PN Low Down Knuckles 0* on flipped King Pins, and a PN Adjustable Spring Holder, it has a lot of laps on it and I think I have it going fairly well, it feels great.

The 360GTC started as a white body and is pretty light at 32.3 grams with an Atomic Lexan window. The C5R is an Autoscale body and I was running lights. they just look so darn cool, so it weighed in at 42.1 grams.

The C5R is super easy to drive and feels totally planted, maybe not as much as the 575GTC but not far off. You do have to be smooth or you will roll but as long as you keep focused it is easy to stay smooth. One thing I did find is that you have to be careful getting into the throttle to early coming out of turns or the back end steps out and you tag the inside rail. The C5R will also tolerate glancing blows to the rail with no issues which helps a lot. I like the C5R, it looks great and is an easy car to drive.

I then mounted the 360GTC body. I use the same wheel offsets for each car. In the rear I am running 1.5mm S6's shimmed .4mm on each side for a total of 1.9mm offset, this fits perfectly in the 360's wheel wells, I could go a bit more with the C5R. In the front I am running 19.5mm S6's at 1mm offset and that is all the 360 can take without massaging the wheel wells, the C5R could run 1.5's I bet. You can immediately feel the weight difference as well as the lower CG. The 360 is not nearly as planted as the C5R and feels quite darty in comparison. You can attack corners with little fear of ending up on your roof and the car just feel super agile. The downside to the 360 is how it reacts to touching the rail, even a slight glancing blow does not go unnoticed. My 360 no longer has the original splitter because it rubbed with a low body height. When I took the splitter off I found that any contact with the rail would flip the car so I sanded the bottom of the nose and glued on a small styrene splitter which helped a lot with the rolling but it tends to catch on the rails. You have to drive cleanly with the 360GTC

At of the day the stint times were within 2 seconds of each other with the C5R taking the win . For fast lap the tides turned and while the C5R could pull off 4.29's the 360GTC saw a 4.22 with a number of laps at 4.24-4.25.

I really wish I could find a reasonably prices C5R white body and a lexan window.....I am thinking that would be fun.

Cheers,
Jim