Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.02.05, 03:37 AM   #1
mugler

Ferrari 599XX Setup Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
Oh man we just got the 599XX last night and man it is SIIIICKKK!!! This body looks like it'll perform great on 98mm 2wd/awd mod.
Please do tell more, so I'm assuming is a performer on track then? this body deserves a review on your blog IMO I just saw it tonight up close at RCKenon in its case since no one was running one yet and it had all Mosler fans shaking in their boots ( not really but that's a story I like to tell ) it's a particularly good looking one so I'm hoping is a performer as well.

Last edited by mugler; 2011.02.05 at 04:17 PM.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.05, 12:55 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
599XX looks sick, hopefully its just as fast on a mini z as it was around the nurburgring
I tested the 599XX on my 96mm Mosler setup, and I have a slightly mixed review... The body in general has a lot of push (compared to the Mosler) due to the location of the cab. Since the Mosler setup is slightly conservative in approach with the aggressive handling that the Mosler has, it may have accented more the pushy nature of the 599XX. Everyone in the A main did an 8.7-8.8s lap, so it has pace, but I need to make some setup adjustments and add a rear wing so I can make the front more aggressive.
Old 2011.02.05, 01:45 PM   #3
Bodom

EMU, what are the stock wheel offsets of the 599XX?
Old 2011.02.05, 02:58 PM   #4
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Ill let Eugene answer....but when i was getting my white bodies ready for paint, the chassis i used had +2 all around with no problem.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.05, 04:25 PM   #5
mugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I tested the 599XX on my 96mm Mosler setup, and I have a slightly mixed review... The body in general has a lot of push (compared to the Mosler) due to the location of the cab. Since the Mosler setup is slightly conservative in approach with the aggressive handling that the Mosler has, it may have accented more the pushy nature of the 599XX. Everyone in the A main did an 8.7-8.8s lap, so it has pace, but I need to make some setup adjustments and add a rear wing so I can make the front more aggressive.
Sounds like performance is in the competitive ball park as a start, I have a feeling after your adjustments to your cars set-up we may hear it can compete with the best of em, specially with a lexan wing addition...was your test body chopped for performance already with windshield mod, diffuser cut-out, light buckets out etc or just out of the box?
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.06, 03:01 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
Sounds like performance is in the competitive ball park as a start, I have a feeling after your adjustments to your cars set-up we may hear it can compete with the best of em, specially with a lexan wing addition...was your test body chopped for performance already with windshield mod, diffuser cut-out, light buckets out etc or just out of the box?
I cut out some of the rear diffuser (more like holes in it), but I didnt hack the whole thing off... I think its more stylish, and a little more functional this way.

The window already has a cutout up top, so I didnt feel that I needed to cut it more. Light buckets are molded in, so the front end looks pretty strong. I didnt install the headlights (additional piece) or lenses yet. I may install the lenses and shave the buckets down a bit. I shaved down the outsides edges of the front lip off so it glances off the boards a little better.

I believe that the stock wheels are +3mm all around, so this may be a great body for a WTF MR02... which I am going to try as well when I get a chance. I used 0mm front wheels with 2mm rears... Plenty of room for tri-damper (at least at 96mm, havent tried 98mm, but I dont think it will be a problem).
Old 2011.02.06, 03:21 AM   #7
mdowney
Pew-Pew!

What's the "windshield mod" and what do you do to the light buckets? I haven't read much about body mods yet. Please share...
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.06, 03:27 AM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Window mod is to cut out the part that sits under the roof to lighten it. This is easiest on the white bodies, since the glass is seperate in the package. With ASC bodies, they are pretty easy to remove and cut. Some bodies have glass that is molded with a cut out, others arent... It can be night and day for some of the slightly higher CG bodies.

For the light buckets, I try to shave away material to lighten it, without removing the entire bucket. This also increases clearance for the wheels on certain bodies where the buckets may interfere with suspension travel and rub a tire when the wheel is turned and suspension loaded. Especially if you lower the body.

I didnt mention earlier, that my 599XX weighs in at 33g in its current state, so it may be a big body, but it isnt very heavy because all the sides are relatively smooth, so there isnt many areas that have thick material... Primarily that would be in the rear diffuser, but I shaved a bunch of it out....
Old 2011.02.06, 02:56 PM   #9
mini-z
Administrator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
What's the "windshield mod" and what do you do to the light buckets? I haven't read much about body mods yet. Please share...
Think like a sun roof - but just in the "glass" of the car, not all the way through the body shell etc.
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.06, 04:00 PM   #10
Tjay

Sorry, I didn't ead the entire post just the first post where I was quoted. Lol

Well, for awd. I always look for low, wide and round bumper. This looks like a perfect candidate for that. Lower body= less roll= less chance of traction roll. Wider body keeps the awd stable and round bumer so it won't get caught.

2wd will probably give a "push" feel to it because there no over hang weight in the front and the body is low (no roll). Sorry... I drove a mod mosler but that body is just not my type just because of the square bumper. One of the reason why I don't run pan. Id rather enjoy racing with zero crash that following someone who crashers every two laps and sending my car off the track. This is also why I ran 94mm atm pan body, round(er) front bumper on last years Tekin Nats.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 03:56 AM   #11
Jay7

Where can I find the White 599xx body online to buy? bought the red one and would like to paint my own. I also cut the rear diffuser same way I cut out my enzo. Kept the line of the diffuser but now it doesnt touch the floor when mounted on my chassis. I'm using 1offset up front and 2 offset in the rear. I will try 2s all around.
Old 2011.04.23, 01:27 AM   #12
Roger

I just picked up this body from Fast Pace Racing tonight. Gonna put my paint scheme on it and test it all of next week. Thx for the 411.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.23, 01:44 AM   #13
blt456

Ok I'm going to say what I've observed about this body.

Recently a good number of locals started putting this body on their mod cars.

2 fronts and rears fit but you need to put a spacer on the chassis clip slot to push the body out so you can fit +3 in the rear.

This body is very heavy and looks to not do so well without the Reflex Racing lexan wing. I have yet to see one hooked up without the wing. I got a white body myself and painted it but was unhappy about the weight and size.

Another note is that I see this body create understeer. Maybe is has to do with a lot of the weight in the back.

A nice part is the front end is extremely strong and doesn't need to be shaved or reinforced.

I got to actually drive a mod car with this body. The body feels good but does not want to lean at all. (maybe it was just the setup that was bad..) It feels like you have to throw gobs of power at the car to get it through corners. I honestly haven't seen that great of success with it but I do know some people have gotten it to work for them. These guys run the TDS with pn 33/32 turn motors.
Old 2011.04.23, 02:25 AM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

I dont think that the body is abnormally heavy... but then again, I did do some trimming, and did not install the non essential parts... The car does have some push, which I think has to do a lot with the cab rear design. When I was testing, I did not use a rear wing at all. I want to give it another try, possibly with a softer setup to get a little more body roll.
Old 2011.04.23, 09:15 AM   #15
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

The back of my 599xx are shaved off pretty much in the rear.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote