Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.07.19, 11:17 AM   #1
ScoobyPete

Advice on Candy red Paint scheme.

Hi all, I was messing about attempting to produce a candy red ppaint scheme.
I am using:
Revell Clear Red, metallic Silver, metallic Gold.
Tamiya Silver, Tamiya Gold Leaf.

My 1st attempt was with a Tamiya Silver base coat and the Revell Clear red as the top coat. this produce a Candy floss type colour more like a pink Lipstick than a candy red. So I thought I would try with Tamiya gold leaf as the base coat and the Revell clear red for top coat and this looks a much deeper red but ii doesn’t seem to have the depth that it did with the silver base coat.

I haven't tried the Revell Silver and gold metallic’s as a base yet as I thought I would ask if anyone has any tips for a candy red paint.
ScoobyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.20, 08:46 AM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Just thinking about it....

Did you do the silver straight onto a whitebody? I've noticed that you get a different quality of silver finish if you do it on a base layer of black versus onto white.

The other thought I had was once you get the silver and then clear red you could clear coat with Tamiya pearl clear which has a sparkly element to it....that might give you the depth you want to acheive.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.26, 04:41 AM   #3
ScoobyPete

Thanks Cowboy, I tried with a black base coat then gold leaf then the clear red. The result wasnt too bad, although it was difficult to get an even coats of the clear and I have a few runs still not bad for my 1st attempt.

It does seem more pearlescent than candy though, you get from burgandy through to an orange in diff light. also the red clear didnt want to coat the shut lines so most of the shut lines have a hint of gold showing

Old 2013.07.26, 09:36 AM   #4
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

from the photos I'd say its a pretty excellent result...

Are you using rattle cans or are you using the small Tamiya pots of acrylic and an airbrush? I've never had good results getting even layering with rattle can because my biggest problem was rushing the spraying. I switched to airbrush and my coats have become much more consitent due to the ability to go with lighter layers between coats.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.26, 10:06 AM   #5
ScoobyPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
from the photos I'd say its a pretty excellent result...

Are you using rattle cans or are you using the small Tamiya pots of acrylic and an airbrush? I've never had good results getting even layering with rattle can because my biggest problem was rushing the spraying. I switched to airbrush and my coats have become much more consitent due to the ability to go with lighter layers between coats.
Ive been using the pots of Tamyia or Revell Acrylic with about 3:1 thinner.
The Red Clear was Revell acyrlic.

TBH I got a bit impatient and made the 2nd coat too thick, trying to fill the shut lines, rather than doing a couple of lighter coats.

Here's some pics in Sunlight.

Old 2013.08.01, 01:54 PM   #6
ScoobyPete

major issues

I sprayed a clear coat on the shell and one side has reacted and the paint has gone funny and the black undercoat is showing through. I've attempted to sand it back but its going to be too hard to match the depth of the red clear. So I'll cover it up with some graphics.

Other than that I think it turned out pretty well. Yes the black vents look rough. Not bothered though as it's now pretty much a beater shell.