Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.10.07, 09:32 PM   #1
hyper-me

mini-racing

How is the local race scene? I'm looking to buy an mr03 to race and I'm in Woodstock.
hyper-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.08, 07:03 AM   #2
hpgod

The races are free.

I host the races currently at my house. I have a Race track room setup in the basement and a layout is always down. I run practice packs regularly and am open for people to come over with advanced notice to make sure I dont have anything errands planned that night with my wife. We currently run HFAY races 1 saterday a month. This month it looks like my schedule will set the race on the OCT 30th. HFAY consists of ~13 clubs around the world lay down the same track every month and hold a race in each direction. each club submit the times and we see how each driver stacks up that month. 5 months makes a season. We also run a bigger track (HFAY BTE)2 times a year. It completely fills my track room 25x14 and is a single event. 4 of the regular racers have tracks at their houses. I provide the transponders and wires if needed for the lap counter. I have the I lap lap counter and use the RCscoring pro to run the races. I have 5 wide oval , 1 wide L and 1 wide turn kit available for tracks setup. The race day is a club environment and the day is short. We practice for ~ 1 hour race, practice the other direction then have the 2nd race. We may run a qualifier or two to test setups. The race day is normally ~ 3 hours long.

When we had a hobby shop to race in the club was ~ 25 different racers and is down to ~ 5 members. But the Hobby shop owner retired and moved to MIAMI. A current raceday is 3-4 racers. The skill level varies from rookie to expert. Cars we have mr03s to AM mr02s. 4 members have F1s but we have not raced F1 1 1/2 years.

I hope to see you on the track with us.

For setup the I run PN 15 front and Reflex racing V2 2wd rears. Kyosho 20 and Pn6 rear tires are also good options. Kyosho 30 fronts look good also. I have not tried atomic tires in ~ 4 years so I do not have a good feel for them. The grip is good and no tire sauce/wd40/cleaners is allowed on the tires that hit my track.

Art
day number 7707403827
night number 4044098705
3770 silver springs road
Cumming ga 30041
hpgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.09, 09:55 PM   #3
hyper-me

I will not have my cars until Christmas, It is going to be a family gift. I am buying the rcp track and 4 mini-z cars. One for me, my wife, and two children. My brothers are also going to buy cars to race with me and we will visit you guys for a race in January or February after we have practiced a bit. Should I get the kt-18 radios? Where can I get the best prices for 2 mr02 and 2 mr-03 cars?
Old 2010.10.10, 10:11 AM   #4
russp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-me View Post
I will not have my cars until Christmas, It is going to be a family gift. I am buying the rcp track and 4 mini-z cars. One for me, my wife, and two children. My brothers are also going to buy cars to race with me and we will visit you guys for a race in January or February after we have practiced a bit. Should I get the kt-18 radios? Where can I get the best prices for 2 mr02 and 2 mr-03 cars?
Might check the shop here. Sign up for their emails as they send out coupons and sales every so often (probably some coming up). I've also looked on ebay and you can usually find one a little cheaper. I personally am still on AM cars as the MR-03 cars are just so pricey for such a small car. I also am not a fan of the Kt-18 controller but I've heard others say it's ok.

It would be great to get new racers as lately it has just been myself, my 10-yr old, and Art. We could probably get Patrick or Hank to come out if we had more racers on a given day.
russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 06:01 AM   #5
hpgod

Kt-18 is the lowest cost solution. ~80 ea unfortunately for 2.4. I need to pick up one also for my loaner car mr02. They do have a high radio with the 2.4 module builf in for ~ 150 now. For the kids a used race ready mr02 would be my pick. My kids are yound still (2/4) and run my old AM car with a ECO motor in to really slow it down. I need a 2nd radio for my 2.4 mro2 loaner car.

Hope to see you then. I know my kids love to play in the basement with the track.
Old 2010.10.11, 06:36 AM   #6
Scrapper
Stu

Send a message via MSN to Scrapper
Art
I have 3 radios now a 3pk, a 3pj that works perfectly, and the glitchy one which just has to be set to model one when it is turned on

I could sell u the glitchy one dirt cheap and all you would need is the module and adapter
Old 2010.10.11, 07:24 AM   #7
hpgod

I think I will pass on that radio. My kids will switch the model and it will cost me parts in the long run. If it was just for me I would. But it is for my loaner car and my 4 year when she is ready for racing.
Old 2010.10.11, 11:49 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i bought 4 am mr-02's for our home track and practice time and labeled each car. you can pick up bodies on sale. i bought these when thei shop had them on sale. bought 6 of them. i find it easer when all the kids have the same body type thus less arguing. just changed up the paintjob. they have since moved on to the db9's so we have one of each body the released which was a bit more expensive to do than the gt-r r34. i keep ours box stock. they want to go faster but that means less control for them and more parts i have to buy for them when they break them which is gauranteed. we also painted the controllers for fun. l let the kids pick a color and each painted it or helped.

2.4 is just to expensive for the kids. the kt-18 sucks and extremely overpriced. it simply is not worth the $80-100 shops are asking for them. pick up am cars. you can get a chassis for maybe $90-100 each and a kt-5 is dirt cheap these days.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.11, 03:27 PM   #9
hyper-me

I was thinking of getting a mr03 for me with a futaba 4pk and 3 iwavers for the wife and kids.
Old 2010.10.11, 03:37 PM   #10
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

the 4pk will not work. it does not use modules and the 2.4 is not the same. sorry. best over all has to be the ex10 or ex1. 3pk works, but i had problems some times when i ran it.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.12, 07:52 AM   #11
hpgod

I personnally run my radio from larger scale rc (old airtronics m8) with a pn module adaptor with the KO module. I have never had an issue in 2 years on 2.4.

If the radio is only for Miniz The new Kt-5 i think with the built in 2.4 module looks good. If it is for other rc scales also. find a used high end KO radio and add the mini module. Now is a good time to pick up KO radios as the 1/12 scale season is getting ready to start and alot of 1/12 scalers upgrade at the beginning of the season to new equipement.
Old 2010.10.12, 01:53 PM   #12
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
If you ended up getting some AM cars, I think I have 2 transmitters that i could give you
Old 2010.10.12, 02:48 PM   #13
hyper-me

thanks ! I may take you up on the am radio offer and get some am mr02 cars without radios. that would probably be better then the iwavers. I work in tucker so not too far from you
Old 2010.10.12, 03:08 PM   #14
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-me View Post
thanks ! I may take you up on the am radio offer and get some am mr02 cars without radios. that would probably be better then the iwavers. I work in tucker so not too far from you

You're welcome! You would be happier with mr-02s than iwavers too. Iwavers tend to glitch a lot and break easier.

I'm up your way sometimes too, my girlfriend lives in marietta and I have some family in kennesaw
Old 2010.10.13, 01:21 PM   #15
russp

I also believe I've got a spare MR-02 radio. I've replaced Jaren's with a digital AM 2-channel JR I picked up off ebay.

I might look into the KT-5 myself. Still, Kyosho stuff is just way too expensive. They don't do well in the planes area since while their planes are nice, they are just about double the cost of anyone else. How they stay in business is beyond me. Maybe we will see some deals start to come up now that hobby-lobby is selling their planes and maybe cars.
russp is offline   Reply With Quote