Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.02.04, 03:45 PM   #1
bcpzx3

Review: I.A.S & S.C.S Mr-03

Track Type: RCP
Traction: Low/Medium
Car: Mr-03
Motor: 50T 53/9t gear ratio
Body: SC430

Here is my review on both the I.A.S and S.C.S systems that Atomic have recently released for the Mr-03 chassis.

I.A.S. - Worked great out of the box, did not require any additional parts. I did have a minor binding issue on one of the plastic shocks, this was easily fixed with light sanding of the "Male" side of the shock.

One of the blue collars had a little extra metal from being threaded, I ran the collar in upside down to chase out the metal, that fixed the problem and now both collars spin in and out smoothly. When putting the collar onto the shock body, keep in mind you are working with metal vs. plastic, so be gentle or you will end up stripping the plastic threads on the shock body.

S.C.S. - Came with everything required, my package did come with a missing spring, but I was able to match the missing spring. Very smooth and comparable to running a Damper plate system. Did not require any additional parts. The plastic spring holder does not come threaded, I would suggest using a screw with screw driver to thread it before using the long shaft included in the package. It can be quite painful trying to thread the shaft in by hand without pre-threading the hole.

Overall after adding both of these on my car, the car feels great! Very comparable to other top drivers at the track, at 1/4 of the cost they spent on their Damper system and front suspension setup! I would recommend this for any budget driver.

bcpzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 05:12 AM   #2
Sammich

sounds great. a local racer has just run the same setup, he started with the SC430 body as well, switched to the 599 and FXX and are running great too.

cant wait to put the IAS on my 2nd chassis

edit: running on CRC Carpet

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.

Last edited by Sammich; 2013.02.05 at 07:40 AM.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 07:30 AM   #3
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Great review! Thanks for sharing the info

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 02:46 PM   #4
DanDan

Hey Tony,

I hope that you don't mind that I have some questions about these parts. I didn't mean to bombard you with questions even though that is what I'm doing. New designs are always exciting but knowing what to do with them isn't always easy.

First questions are in regards to the SCS. Did you find that oil or grease helped the effectiveness of this product? Were there any adjustments that you made to the setup other than simply replacing the DDS with this unit? I like the idea because it doesn't require reaming and sanding like the PN DDS setup, but if a damper setup isn't tuned properly results can be ugly.

Secondly, the IAS looks like an interesting concept I may wish to try out in the future. Are you adjusting the front ride height via shock spring preload, or are you doing it the method we're are accustomed to with shims? Do you use grease or oil with this front end?

Is the lack of obvious camber/caster adjustment somewhat prohibitive or is adjusting the camber and gain via shims enough adjustment? From the looks of the manual illustrations on the Atomic site, it looks like you can only use a standard equipment or Atomic upper tower but I'm not sure that I'm correct on that account

What else do you feel must be done to maximize the effectiveness of these new designs? The Atomic product looks good, is priced well and if it works well, that's good for everyone. You're breaking new ground here Tony, I don't think many people have tried these parts yet but if we get a knowledge base started it might encourage people to give these new setup possibilities a try.

Last edited by DanDan; 2013.02.05 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Answered one of my own questions
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 02:52 PM   #5
DanDan

BTW: Good review and thanks for the assembly tips. Ensuring proper installation is the first part of the battle.
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.05, 05:01 PM   #6
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

I havent tried it, but regarding adding damper fluid. To get dampening you have to add dampening fluid. just as any other damper system. Be it tube dampers or disk dampers or this one.
(The natural friction of the parts can offer some dampening, but this is not controllable as it is with fluids)

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.07, 03:20 PM   #7
Kevin S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpzx3 View Post
Track Type: RCP
Traction: Low/Medium
Car: Mr-03
Motor: 50T 53/9t gear ratio
Body: SC430

Here is my review on both the I.A.S and S.C.S systems that Atomic have recently released for the Mr-03 chassis.

I.A.S. - Worked great out of the box, did not require any additional parts. I did have a minor binding issue on one of the plastic shocks, this was easily fixed with light sanding of the "Male" side of the shock.

One of the blue collars had a little extra metal from being threaded, I ran the collar in upside down to chase out the metal, that fixed the problem and now both collars spin in and out smoothly. When putting the collar onto the shock body, keep in mind you are working with metal vs. plastic, so be gentle or you will end up stripping the plastic threads on the shock body.

For the I.A.S. system, I noticed that there are (2) different options. Did you use part # MR3-032 which is for the "Touring Car Body" or did you use the Low Profile Set which is MR3-032-LP? Did you use the anti-roll bars as well? Also, what did you use in the shocks? What kind of oil? What weight? Thanks for all of your help on this.
Dream Killr Racing
Supporter of White Knuckle Racing
Kevin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.07, 03:31 PM   #8
Sammich

they have a low profile set?!?!

Quote:
Old 2013.02.07, 03:56 PM   #9
Kevin S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
they have a low profile set?!?!
Hey Sammich, according to EGR's website, there is a low profile version.
Dream Killr Racing
Supporter of White Knuckle Racing
Kevin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.07, 11:00 PM   #10
bcpzx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
For the I.A.S. system, I noticed that there are (2) different options. Did you use part # MR3-032 which is for the "Touring Car Body" or did you use the Low Profile Set which is MR3-032-LP? Did you use the anti-roll bars as well? Also, what did you use in the shocks? What kind of oil? What weight? Thanks for all of your help on this.
I used MR3-032
Anti-roll bar - no

I only used what was in the package, nothing extra, only thing i changed on the car was move/add a few kingpin shims to retain the ride height.
bcpzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.08, 06:29 AM   #11
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
Hey Sammich, according to EGR's website, there is a low profile version.
jeesh..i wish i would have looked a little deeper, i think when i friend and i saw this initially, right when it FIRST broke onto the scene i dont think the LP version was available. they must have done that to cater to cars like the FXX and HSV in mind.

Quote:
Old 2013.02.26, 03:55 PM   #12
Felix2010

If I can ask, how responsive is the I.A.S. design, with the linear top-knuckle link, compared to say stock MR-03 Kyosho design with pivoting top-arm pushing down on a vertical spring? I like the OEM Kyosho MR-03 fr. suspension design actually. It only lacks bump sensitivity. Does the I.A.S. have noticeably-better-overall(small+med+large) bump sensitivity? Like say for RCP tracks, which tend to generate a low-level chatter due to tiny variations between each tile?

Thanks in advance for the info! I might try this if the sensitivity is increased with I.A.S., esp now that there's the Low-Pro I.A.S. set
Old 2013.12.22, 10:42 PM   #13
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
quick question, what are the various collars for? my low profile kit came with 4 of each kind but the instructions only call for 'collar' so not sure of the purpose for the others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (183.7 KB, 40 views)
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.27, 10:28 AM   #14
arch2b

Bueller, Bueller...

shame that the instructions don't show all the parts that come with the kit so you know what your to do with them.
Old 2013.12.27, 11:27 AM   #15
arch2b

plowed ahead using the small diameter collars, 4 of the 5 provided.

disappointing again in the quality control of the parts. one threaded shock piece 5c was so tight it was very hard to install the threaded collar 5c whereas the other spins so freely i'm concerned it will back off on it's own. very large disparity in fit and finish.

i was tipped off using a tiny bit of grease to work in the long threaded screws #10 worked brilliantly. they went in without a fight and less concerned about stripping what seem to be very soft phillips screws. once again my dNaNo green phillips fit perfectly. while costly, that has more than paid for itself in working with very tiny phillips screws.

i'm sure others are already doing this but i made a witness mark on the threaded collars 5c by scraping the blue anodizing off between a pair of teeth and using a red sharpie to make a clear mark so i know how how many turns i'm making.

Last edited by arch2b; 2013.12.27 at 12:49 PM.