Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.06.16, 07:29 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Hudy Tire Truer Power Supply

i finally broke down and bought one of these. i wasn't sold on the value given you rarely see these for resale and wasn't looking to plunk down nearly $200 but after my last day of racing Gary walked me through taking off the tread from kyosho tires and it made a huge difference and was sold. so, saved up the money, placed the order and waiting for it to arrive. in the mean time i'm looking to resolve the power issue, which is very simple mind you, just looking for the most economical and user friendly solution.

i have a 12.8v, 10A power supply with banana plug output. i already have radioshack banana plugs and some heavy gauge silicone wire so that bit is simple. the trade off is i would have to start carrying around the truer and the power supply. my other option is picking up a cheap 12v, 6A power supply, similar to flat panel monitors use and change out the barrel plug for something coordinated with the truer. that could be replacing the stock wires with the appropriate dia. barrel jack at the unit or replacing the truer gator clips and PS barrel plug with EC3 plugs. EC3/5 seem to be preferred now over deans in some online searching.

the upside to the monitor PS, i would not have to carry around another bulky piece of equipment and it would be plug and play wherever i go. in my reading, 12v, 6A seems to be appropriate. anyone able to confirm this?

while i have the RC power supply, i don't like carrying around stuff i don't always need. i have it at home for use with my route 246 charger but prefer to travel as simple and lite as practical and typically don't carry these items around with me.

i'm leaning toward the monitor PS but the rating will determine pricing/availability which could make the RC PS the best choice.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.16, 07:51 PM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

For use on the road a nice little 11.1V 20C LiPo with a TRAXXAS plug works just fine. No substantial bulk or weight to carry around. Or. Just make sure you have everything you need before hitting the road and leave the truer parked. Several sets of tires mounted and ready weigh even less.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.16, 07:57 PM   #3
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
i use a 2cell lipo... no need to spin so fast!

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.16, 08:23 PM   #4
arch2b

i've seen others use lipo cells and always liked the idea. i don't care for the battery maintenance required for those however. i'm lucky if i remember to cycle my NiMh cells and don't trust myself with something that could explode and my lack of care would certainly not be good for the cell. not to mention i would also have to remember to charge it to begin with. this is why i have not made the switch to lipo for my transmitter, even after 10 years of racing.

also don't trust myself to get all my tires pre-mounted/trued ahead of time either i'm lucky to get 1-2 hours a week to spend on hobby stuff and maybe some time every other weekend which is also why i focus on ease of use, practicality and low maintenance.
Old 2013.06.16, 08:47 PM   #5
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

You can get a cheap 5v laptop power supply that will work just fine. You will just over heat the tires running at 12v. Personally I use my muchmore motor master to run mine. It allows me to set the voltage to any voltage I feel is best for the tire I'm truing.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.16, 08:49 PM   #6
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

I was told by a fellow racer that you can pick up power supplies for next to nothing at the goodwill.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.17, 07:37 PM   #7
arch2b

yeah, power adapters are very cheap if you can find one with the right stuff. not finding many hits in 5-6v, 5-6a units.
Old 2013.06.17, 09:46 PM   #8
hilldebrandt
hilldebrandt's hobby

I've seen this done in 10th scale truers...get a plug in light dimmer from Home Depot. Around 12 bucks. Cut the plug ends off and wire it to whatever connectors you want and use the dimmer switch as a voltage regulator or rheostat and hook it up to whatever power supply you have to power your chargers. Works like a charm in turning down the voltage for the Hudy...

http://dorksonwheels.com(RIP)
hilldebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.17, 10:28 PM   #9
blt456

If you buy a lipo with a traxxas connector on it, you can use the alligator clips on the truer motor without any mods. There is no need for more than 7.4v. I use a 2s thunder power lipo with a traxxas connector and it has been working great for the past year
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 02:00 AM   #10
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilldebrandt View Post
I've seen this done in 10th scale truers...get a plug in light dimmer from Home Depot. Around 12 bucks. Cut the plug ends off and wire it to whatever connectors you want and use the dimmer switch as a voltage regulator or rheostat and hook it up to whatever power supply you have to power your chargers. Works like a charm in turning down the voltage for the Hudy...
This is a bad idea if you're using a switching power supply.

I recommend the 2S LiPo.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 12:31 PM   #11
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I've had a hudy truer for almost 6 months now and ill add my voice to forgoing the power supply. After plenty of experimenting I found a lipo with banana plug ins works great...I find its even a bit much for trueing some softer tires but by sslloowwly taking material off I avoid graining the surface of the tire.

If you don't want to carry/maintain a lipo you could do the same with a NiMH stick pack...a little safer and close to the same output.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 06:41 PM   #12
arch2b

while the battery solution sounds great, i'm personally trying to avoid creating additional work to enable use of this. getting a battery, especially one that requires care and maintenance is not my cup of tea. i don't run other scales. i don't own a single battery for RC other other aa/aaa. if i already had lipo for some other use i wouldn't hesitate but i don't and don't plan to begin.

don't get me wrong, i find all the suggestions useful and informative and i'm sure others are getting valuable information out of it but they don't really address my particular needs, which are unique i guess. i want plug and play, no muss, no fuss, no worries about packing ahead of time, no desire to charge something other than my car/transmitter, etc. just want to be able to plug into a commonly available power source at a hobby shop, store, home, etc. i thought for sure there would be other like minded folks but i guess once you get into tire truer territory your in deep enough that most already have and use all the other stuff on a regular basis. my cars are lucky to hit a track 2 days a month. wish it was more but like most, i'm simply working to much and have kids/pets, etc.
Old 2013.06.18, 06:56 PM   #13
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Then a trip to Goodwill for an older style higher amperage computer brick is the way to go.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.18, 07:02 PM   #14
arch2b

funny you mention that, i already have one i rigged for 12v and 5v power. frankly, surprised more people don't use them given you can get them for free from junk pc's. mine just happens to be mounted into a tool box so it's not really portable. it was more for a transportable electronic work station back before the time of kids.
Old 2013.06.18, 07:32 PM   #15
arch2b

found a 12v 6a power adapter for a couple buck so thats worth trying. 7.5v 6a power adapter is a bit more expensive and harder to find.