Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > 1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion > Kyosho > Mini-Z Racer MR-02

Old 2006.05.31, 03:19 PM   #1
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

can someone tell me w/o a doubt what the differences are between these Atomic mounts?

AR138 Atomic Version III motor mount
AR163 Atomic LCG 98mm motor mount

I have the first one (ver. III); the only differences i've been able to tell are the second one can't be used with 94mm wheelbase, while the first one can be used in 94 and 98, and the first one can accomodate screw or clamp fit motors and the second one can only hold a screw fit. Also, the second one has a rounded end for the DDS post holder, where as the edge is flat on the pinion side wall where the DDS post holder is fastened.

so why get the second one?

I can't really tell from the pictures on the Atomic site- I am assuming that the motor in the LCG one sits alot lower? I can't tell the configuration from the pictures (they use the same pics for both it seems) and i'll admit that the motor in mine, the Ver. III, is low already....

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.31, 05:44 PM   #2
LBRC

How about $4.00 difference in manufacture suggested retail price, even though the AR138 will work with motors that do not have screw holes like the Kyosho X-Speed, many people with modified motors that have mounting screw holes like those from Atomic prefer the simpler and lighter mounts like the AR163, and many competitive racers may also prefer shorter H-plates with their Enzo bodies. By having both types they have a little something for everyone.
Old 2006.05.31, 10:12 PM   #3
herman

Quote:
so why get the second one?
i've got a ver iii as well... and yes i believe the differences are all what you explained...

i think your question could be likened to... why buy an mr01? and the answer is... evolution...

atomic thought of a better mount that would basically have more options for everybody... run a 94mm chassis? ver iii's there... run a 98mm chassis? ver iii's there... have mounting holes on your motor? ver iii's there... no mounting holes on your motor? ver iii's there... i'm thinking they've got more bases covered with the ver iii...

and if you don't want to spend the extra $4 they've got the ver ii...

hope this helps...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.31, 10:17 PM   #4
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman
i've got a ver iii as well... and yes i believe the differences are all what you explained...

i think your question could be likened to... why buy an mr01?
evolution... atomic thought of a better mount that would basically have more options for everybody... run a 94mm chassis? ver iii's there... run a 98mm chassis? ver iii's there... have mounting holes on your motor? ver iii's there... no mounting holes on your motor? ver iii's there... i'm thinking they've got more bases covered...

and if you don't want to spend the extra $4 they've got the ver ii...

hope this helps...
ahh, see, i thought the lcg came out after the ver III lol

i have the III and it's very versatile as you have stated. Now, if they could only machine the edge differently near the pinion side of the DDS ; )

Old 2006.06.06, 09:37 AM   #5
ruf
4play

The LCG is the updated 98mm pod to have the same features that Atomic developed with their Ver.II and Ver.III 94mm pods. In my opinion the LCG is the best one available, it's only drawback being that it can't be run in 94mm WB which I don't use anyways. That being said, I haven't gotten my grubby paws on one yet.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.12, 11:17 PM   #6
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
The LCG is the updated 98mm pod to have the same features that Atomic developed with their Ver.II and Ver.III 94mm pods. In my opinion the LCG is the best one available, it's only drawback being that it can't be run in 94mm WB which I don't use anyways. That being said, I haven't gotten my grubby paws on one yet.
I purchased an LCG to compare it to the Ver. III and it's got some nice features that have been mentioned, but, as usual with some of this stuff finding it's way over here, one needs to check fitment to see if there will be any problems or interference.

The most obvious issue is the negative brush tab has a little slot clearanced on the bottom bar of the mount, but it's barely enough for the tab, let alone the tab, wire and a capacitor prong. it took some very, VERY creative positioning and soldering to get it to work w/o hitting the mount in that area.

another big issue that can show its ugly face w/ mounts is interference when using DDS. this means 1. that the DDS post arm could hit the can, 2. the DDS disk or plate could hit the can, or...3. interference between the DDS plate and the spot above the DDS post arm on the mount.

the LCG offers great clearance w/ #3, even with the fat-a$s Atomic Ti plate (this can't be said for the Ver. III mount)

the LCG offers good spacing between for #2

the LCG DOES NOT offer good spacing for #1....i still had to use the lexan spacer i made for my Ver. III, but for a different reason lol...the arm can not go very low, so if you use it w/o a homemade lexan spacer (in the area that the plate attaches to the chassis top), the top spring will be pretty compressed on the DDS vs. the bottom one.

overall, i like the design and advantages this thing can offer, but it's still far from perfect....

i have some pics.

this mount will be used solely on my one mod MR-02 and i guess i'll put the old one on my soon-to-arrive new MR-02, which i am not sure if it'll be stock or mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0966.JPG (269.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0967.JPG (184.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0969.JPG (176.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0970.JPG (333.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0972.JPG (276.2 KB, 48 views)

Old 2006.06.13, 05:19 AM   #7
color01

i think atomic could've made the bottom end slide instead of the top; that would've fixed the issue of the motor hitting the damper post. looking at photos, the Ver. III post will offset the damper post a few mm forward. you could probably mooch the damper post off a Ver. III mount, and use a 94mm damper plate to compensate.

i've got my LCG mount coming very soon, and reading this just whets my appetite, lol...

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.13, 03:13 PM   #8
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

i really don't want a colored mount, so i blasted it a bit with some fine media-

it came out great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0973.JPG (291.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0974.JPG (299.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0975.JPG (294.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0976.JPG (379.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0978.JPG (312.6 KB, 21 views)

Old 2006.06.14, 01:42 AM   #9
color01

it looks like kitchen-counter material.

mine's in, i've got none of the issues you spoke of... perhaps because the fiberglass damper plate is thinner?

Greyscale RC

Old 2006.06.14, 09:17 PM   #10
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01
it looks like kitchen-counter material.
jerk! haha

ok, fine- i polished it a bit-

also, here is a shot of the soldering and positioning changes i had to do with the negative tab, wire, and capacitor.

Old 2006.06.15, 12:05 AM   #11
color01

the motor mount looks great, a lot like the silver Ver. III pod.

now the intriguing thing is the motor... Z2?

Greyscale RC

Old 2006.06.15, 08:12 AM   #12
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01
the motor mount looks great, a lot like the silver Ver. III pod.

now the intriguing thing is the motor... Z2?
yeah, i'm glad i did it because it looked sorta neat but it kept reminding me of the this crappy cast bass pedal i had on a drum kit i had when i was little....so i had to give it a little sheen with my dremel and some mothers premium.

plus i couldn't take the peer pressure from certain members on MZR to improve it's appearance hahaha

yes, the motor is a z2...interestingly, it has proven to be very manageable on my track. the expansion pack was critical to really get some speed opportunity, but i am currently turning approx. 5 second laps with it.

Old 2006.06.15, 01:10 PM   #13
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
yeah, i'm glad i did it because it looked sorta neat but it kept reminding me of the this crappy cast bass pedal i had on a drum kit i had when i was little....so i had to give it a little sheen with my dremel and some mothers premium.

plus i couldn't take the peer pressure from certain members on MZR to improve it's appearance hahaha

yes, the motor is a z2...interestingly, it has proven to be very manageable on my track. the expansion pack was critical to really get some speed opportunity, but i am currently turning approx. 5 second laps with it.
bass pedal? that thing must've looked odd. and what are you talking about, pressure... it wasn't me, i swear. it was your bass pedal!

i suppose i'd have to drive on RCP before i can say anything more about trying to control a mod motor indoors.

edit: which diff height position are you using on your mount? i've got mine as high as possible (well, ride height as low as possible), but the chassis is still 'raked' towards the front (front ride height's still lower). guess i'll have to fabricate some form of a spacer?

Greyscale RC

Last edited by color01; 2006.06.15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 2006.06.15, 01:13 PM   #14
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
i really don't want a colored mount, so i blasted it a bit with some fine media-

it came out great!
I think the mount looks good. I also had to do some interesting wiring to get around my disk damper. I am not really sure that the disk damper is worth all of the trouble.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.20, 11:35 AM   #15
LowJacK

whoa-hold up a sec

HEY builthatch. What did you mean by;

"i really don't want a colored mount, so i blasted it a bit with some fine media-"

I love what you have done to remove the colour from you alloy parts and would like to know what you did. I've been reading up on home-anodizing but what you did is super-cool.
LowJacK is offline   Reply With Quote