Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.09.30, 12:03 AM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

overview of my first USGP experience

well, me and the wife made it to the USGP practice and qualifying on saturday and let me say we had an awesome awesome time. Ah the sites, the sounds. Words cannot express what one feels when he goes to a gp for the first time. F1 is boring? I don't think so. That's the last thing on your mind once you enter the grounds of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to experience the moment of a lifetime and see these cars in action live.

Naturally i was there to enjoy myself but i must admit i did have some major goals in mind that i actually hoped to accomplish when we left. They were as follows:

1)be able to park near the main gait
2)video tape from three different areas of the circuit
3)buy mclaren merchandise namely a cap, coffee mug and flag.
4)Lastly, believe it or not, meet up with gargoyle to run the Zs

what i actually accomplished:

1) this was our first GP so we were somewhat excited when we arrived. let me say the indy motor speedway is HUGE beyond huge. You would think looking at the track map that it's not that big but any pictures of the Indy grounds is very decieving. It takes a good bit to walk around to see everything that could be seen. Anyway, we wound up on the north end of 16th street and there (despite arriving a little early) we saw people, street side vendors and road blocks so it was a bit overwhelming at first. i didn't know where to really go but wasn't about to try my patience. i hastily drove into the first parking spot where we ended up by a motel just south of lot #3. we ended up entering thru the tunnel under the south vista on the east end.

it actually worked out really well by parking east of the track instead of near the main gait. Here's why. After entering the grounds we wanted to make our way to the paddock section so i could videocam the pit garages before the first practice session started. On our way there we came accross a small group of people who appeared to be standing around as if waiting for something to happen along a closed gaited entry way to our left. Opposite this to our right was a parking lot accross a two lane drive. i went up to the first person i saw and asked what was happening. he replied that the F1 drivers park at the lot accross the drive and enter through the gait where the crowd were assembling.

So what luck! by shear co-incidence we come across where the drivers would walk in. What a great way to start the morning i would say. So i got my video cam ready and low and behold no sooner did i get set up when i see a row of cars pull into the lot and the crowd starts to migrate toward an SUV that pulls into the parking lot. who steps out of it none other than Ross Brawn! i didn't get his autograph but sure enough i got him on tape getting crowded by the masses to get a signature. Without further details here are the list of people i got to catch on videotape on this fine saturday morning:

Ross Brawn
Patrick Head
Eddie Jordan
Craig Pollock
Paul Stoddard

Jacque Villenue
Alex Yoong
Mark Webber
Nick Heidfeld
Pedro DeLaRosa
Mika Salo
Allen McNish
David Coulthard
Michael Schumacher
Rubens Barrichello

MS and RB drove buy and entered through the private gait without getting out. The rest on the list actually got out to walk to the gait. Naturally each one were quickly surrounded where they freely gave autographs until they made they're way inside.

hard to believe but i managed to get three autographs- david coulthard, jacque villenue and eddie jordan!! yes, that's right. i got brave while i was filming and decided to jump in with the rest of the mob, widdle my way to the front and made my ball cap accessable amonst all the pens, booklets and notepads already forced upon these celebrities. much to my suprise my hat was grapped by these three famous people and signed!! makes me regret not having my Z in my bag at the time to have DC sign it. Anway, don't ask why i didn't get the rest to sign. i was lucky just to get even three. However, i at least got them all on tape. pretty good i think for a goal i didn't even have in mind to begin with.

2) i wanted to video tape from different vantage points so naturally we did a bit of walking to make our way around to these places. the first section we sat at was the paddock area just in front of the pits. i happened to get Juan Pablo, Kimi and DC in their respective garages. I missed MS and RB though before they climbed into their cars. the sounds of some of the cars revving up and down was pretty awesome to hear before practice began. even more so however when they actually started practice and we watched the cars roll down pit lane. eventually the cars would pass the front of us accross the long straight of the start/finish line. ear plugs are a must have and at times not enough when these cars pass at full throttle. the second area i was able to film from was the north west vista. From there i was able to get RB during practice where he missed turn one and went straight. hehe. The last area to film was the s. vista back on the east end where we came in.

3) as for merchandise, strangely the Indy Motor speedway trackside stands and other vendors don't carry mclaren items. at least very very very few. There's plenty of ferrari, williams, jaguar and honda but hardly any mclaren. This couple decked out in West McLaren garb told me they got their stuff from the McLaren web site. Clearly i was very dissappointed as i wasn't finding any of the things i wanted to get. When we were getting ready to leave for the day, we decided to check out this row of vendors outside the track grounds along 16th street. Under one of the tents i just so happen to notice a 'West' flag on display! Much to my relief i managed to at least get one of the three items i had in mind. Unfortunately the guy had no coffee mugs or hats. but oh well, one item's better than none.

4) this goal was a bit far fetched as i never really communicated details for meeting with gargoyle before heading out to the grand prix. i didn't expect to find him as i don't even know what he looks like or where exactly to look meet him. So gargoyle when you read this, sorry bud. maybe next year. Naturally the Z thing never happened but that's all right cause there were plenty of things to see after walking around. There was the Orange display with full size F1 replica and three seater virtual reality simulator. My favorite display was a replica of DCs F1 car in the mercedes benz building. As far as RC's go, i did see Williams 1/8th scale F1s for sale. i think 8th scale because it was bigger than a 10th scale but much smaller than a 1/4 scale. pretty cool but i didn't splurge on getting it though. Anyway, next year a miniZ group definately should get together after the qualifying runs. If anything, it'd be worth getting together just to have lunch during the lunch break. Hope to catch you next year gargoyle.

So here's my feelings overall. My wife and i had a great time and now plan to stay the entire weekend for next year. Like i mentioned, this was our first GP so for us every moment was well worth the long journey to Indianapolis. I've kept up with Formula One for the past three years and let me say that reading about it and watching the races on TV all this time pales (and i mean pales) in comparison to actually seeing it live and up front. I can't recommend enough for any of you who haven't been to any GPs to start saving up and go to one. It'll enrichen how you view F1 more than you will ever imagine. The loudness of the motors at full throttle, the crackling and popping of traction control, seeing the pits at early morning before practice, the flags, the people, everything. Simply awesome. i guess you can say i've been to the mountain top and come back a changed man. what can i say. i love F1. More so now than ever.

thank you for your time. and i apologize for lack of pics. but for those who've been to any grand prix in this world, you know what i mean.

cheers.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.09.30 at 07:22 AM.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.30, 01:32 AM   #2
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
I see you had a great time, just what I expected , I'm going to a real GP next year, maybe 2..., I only saw one F1 2001 in real life in action, it must be awesome to see and hear a whole field of cars in 2003

Quote:
The loudness of the motors at full throttle, the crackling and popping of traction control
It's really loud, like someone screeming into your ear , but I never used earplugs, the sound is to damn beautiful
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.09.30, 07:17 AM   #3
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

you're a better man than i am Smolders. with plugs in at times it was too loud. nothing like it though. music to the F1 lover's ears.
Old 2002.10.01, 12:13 AM   #4
herman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sm0lders
.....it must be awesome to see and hear a whole field of cars in 2003

It's really loud, like someone screeming into your ear , but I never used earplugs, the sound is to damn beautiful

.... eh?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.01, 10:38 AM   #5
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

man o man

race reviews continues to be close to 50/50 due to how it ended sunday. Austria all over again.

strange that when you're at the race, how things are in the news is the last thing on your mind. then reality hits as you read what's happening with the general viewing populace...

(gargoyle... where you at? you should have recovered from your hangover already )

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.10.01 at 10:53 AM.
Old 2002.10.01, 11:48 AM   #6
le-manz
Mini-Zter

Location: Copenhagen-Denmark-Europe-The world-Space-Giants toenail
west, its all in the eye of the beholder. If you had a great time, well thats what you had then Who really cares who wins of either of the prancing horses. They are in a league of their own this year so does it really matter. As you said in your review its all about sights and sounds. The rest is politics and speculations. Yes more real racing and overtaking is what we all want but hopefully that'll come next year (i have my doubts ) Untill then I'll just enjoy seing and hearing these beatiful machines

Btw I'm glad you enjoyed your first one. Personally i can't wait till the f1 caravan hits the european roads again. Silverstone just wasn't enough for me......even with the mighty ferraris
le-manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.01, 08:51 PM   #7
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

my sentiments exactly.

what i'd do to make it to silverstone though. home of the mclaren squad!

one of these days. hopefully bernie won't take it out by then
Old 2002.10.01, 10:40 PM   #8
gargoyle7642
Mini-Z Fanatic

Red face Sorry man!

I left early Thursday morning to go to the USGP. Before I did that however, I called Wednesday night to confirm my reservations. (Made months in advance) I was advised that my room had been cancelled and I was never contacted. Needless to say, I was up until like 3 a.m. trying to find a place to stay. I then had to get up at 7 a.m. to leave. In my panic to find a place to stay and just being plain tired when I got up, I forgot my Mini-Z. I totally forgot about it. I am sorry. Trying to get something together for next year sounds great though! After I got home today I renewed my tickets online for next years race! Anyone interested can go to: www.imstix.com Again, sorry West.F1. Maybe we could do it by the main entrance for some great pics!
Old 2002.10.02, 07:31 AM   #9
maxedoutcc

Send a message via AIM to maxedoutcc
sounds like a blast, im going sat and sunday to the miami IRL race. www.miamirace.com

although my seats are general admission, it too will be my first experience and i cant hardly wait.

Brian
Old 2002.10.02, 12:17 PM   #10
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

welcome back gargoyle. sounds like the place that cancelled you out owes you big time. Maybe a freebie for next year or an executive suite for the price of a regular. I’d a been ticked beyond ticked

Maxedoutcc- what better place to enjoy watching a race than in Miami
Old 2002.10.06, 09:53 AM   #11
mini-z
Administrator

West.F1, glad you had a good time! gargoyle7642, sorry about your accomodations, that's crazy - let us know what they do to make it up to you! All - let's make a point of organizing something next year, just need to make sure we remember a few months in advance.
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.10.06, 07:35 PM   #12
maxedoutcc

Send a message via AIM to maxedoutcc
Quote:
Originally posted by West.F1

Maxedoutcc- what better place to enjoy watching a race than in Miami
oh man West.F1 WHAT an experience. This was the CART championship and man all I can say is WOW, I ended up weaseling my way past security and with my Gen Adm tickets was able to get some really nice seats through various parts of the racing. I was fortunate enough to get to go to two of the three days of racing and saw the trans am series/lemans/cart series racingon both days. They also had the rock and roar tour with the band "Train" so got a free concert too *Woohoo* overall my thoughts are it was the best $35 spent EVER, well lemme take that back, after all was said and done im in for around $350 but I found a $20 bill TWICE today so that offset the cost by $40 today was definately an AWESOME day. I'll be uploding pics to my server tomorrow.

Brian
Old 2002.10.07, 08:18 AM   #13
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

yeah i saw the trail end where paul tracy goofed up with 7 laps remaining. nothing like seeing a podium finish go up in smoke on an unforced error.

glad to see da matta getting top podium though. toyota will acquire a good driver in F1 i think.