Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.01.15, 08:23 PM   #1
Taazz

Fried FETS

I turned on my 02 without turning on the transmitter first. The motor powered up, I turned the car off, but the motor kept running. I then popped a battery out.

After this occured, I turned on the transmitter and put the battery back in. Problem is that I noticed that there was power to the car without turning on the switch. Started smelling that burned smell that spells trouble.

I looked under the board and found that one of the FETS at the front where the steering motor wires are soldered was burned.

I replaced both FETS in the front with FETS from a fried 01 board. I am pretty sure I got them back on with out any overlapping connections.

When I popped the batteries back in I again got power without turning on the switch and the FET to the front outside of the board immediately fried.

Before all of this I had wired up a motor by putting the motor wires under the terminal screws without using tabs. It is possible that I pushed a wire in too far and shorted something. Could that have caused the problems?

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the board to power up even though the switch is in the off position and burn out the FETS at the front of the board?
Taazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.01.15, 11:07 PM   #2
LBRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taazz
I turned on my 02 without turning on the transmitter first. The motor powered up, I turned the car off, but the motor kept running. I then popped a battery out.

After this occured, I turned on the transmitter and put the battery back in. Problem is that I noticed that there was power to the car without turning on the switch. Started smelling that burned smell that spells trouble.

I looked under the board and found that one of the FETS at the front where the steering motor wires are soldered was burned.

I replaced both FETS in the front with FETS from a fried 01 board. I am pretty sure I got them back on with out any overlapping connections.

When I popped the batteries back in I again got power without turning on the switch and the FET to the front outside of the board immediately fried.

Before all of this I had wired up a motor by putting the motor wires under the terminal screws without using tabs. It is possible that I pushed a wire in too far and shorted something. Could that have caused the problems?

Any thoughts as to what might be causing the board to power up even though the switch is in the off position and burn out the FETS at the front of the board?
Yes you motor wire is touching something most likely the left one. The only way the motor runs with the switch in the “OFF” position is if the switch is shorted internally (bad switch) or more likely since you are smoking your FETs is that a motor wire is touching something it should not. Since the + battery contact goes to the circuit board then to the switch and back to the circuit board all right in font of the motor contacts it would be inadvisable to try hooking up a motor with just wire if even one strand of wire touched the live battery contact "puff" it would be very bad indeed for your FETs.

Last edited by LBRC; 2006.01.15 at 11:09 PM.
LBRC is offline   Reply With Quote