Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.06.27, 06:06 PM   #1
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Oh no! my car died!

today i got a call from my GF saying that a mini-z was on the floor (no body), upside down and was missing a wheel. Mind you the car was stored about 4-5 feet in the air, power off and batteries in.

i came home and i noticed the wheel was totally broken off at the center, with the center remaining on the diff shaft. Interestingly, i can't see any other damage from the fall whatsoever; no cracks, dents, bends, scratches, etc. The car has a brand new chassis top and bottom so it would be very noticeable.

so, i noticed the batteries seem dead. i put the power 'on' on the car and nothing happens. So i put a set of batteries in it that have some power left and the car goes full throttle, power switch off....power switch on, nothing happens. Keep in mind this car has been in the same exact configuration for months with no problems; i recently changed the chassis, but that was about it and nothing was hit or struck on the board when i changed that, i treat the car with kid gloves. i noticed a slight odor when i smell the board and chassis compartment, could be normal, not sure. take a look at the photos and tell me what you think might be wrong, if anything? no wires were touching or switched, pinched, etc when the chassis was swapped. Everything was normal. The fet job was done months ago by someone at a local track and i do not remember what it 'should' look like....

tell me if it looks like something looks wrong here- i can't recall if the marks where there from the et job and a slightly sloppy solder job or if they are new...and also it looks as if some of the legs are missing a solder joint or something.

UPDATE- i noticed a bunch of solder somehow found itself on the little switch piece inside the chassis, the one that the motor wires screw into. it looks as if it splashed down somehow during it's running on the floor after it took the dive, the car im sure ran itself dead so there was surely quite a heat buildup. also, the little 'window' in the chassis, in the battery tray where you can see the fet stack when peering through it from the outside of the car, was melted a bit from the inside with a little brown spot. So it seems something overheated when sitting there? the car was off...i can't understand what would happen if nothing was out of the ordinary as far as wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1030.jpg (197.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1031.JPG (217.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1033.JPG (211.4 KB, 66 views)

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs

Last edited by builthatch; 2006.06.27 at 06:17 PM.
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.27, 06:10 PM   #2
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
looks like one side is unattached
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.27, 06:20 PM   #3
kittysniper101

you said the wheel was broken and that the fets now look like that. It looks to me like someone drove it around and then crashed into something after they had been driving for a while and the kept trying to gun the throttle after the wheel broke and the fets heated up too much and the solder melted off allowing them to slip.
kittysniper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.27, 06:28 PM   #4
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysniper101
you said the wheel was broken and that the fets now look like that. It looks to me like someone drove it around and then crashed into something after they had been driving for a while and the kept trying to gun the throttle after the wheel broke and the fets heated up too much and the solder melted off allowing them to slip.
noone was home; its jsut me and my gf here and i left at 10 and the car was fine, sitting on the shelf. the car somehow decided to turn on, drive off the shelf, and run itself continually until something melted.

Old 2006.06.27, 06:47 PM   #5
SaiTam
Are you Fetted?

I left my stock car ON and it was stuck against the RCP track by itself. A minute later the Forward FET fried. It was my fastest stock car ever purchased-33km/h with X speed/8T. After I replace the FET I am not sure whether it will be as fast as before.
SaiTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.27, 06:50 PM   #6
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
The way those fets are right now, I really would not recomend putting power through it... it will short out.
Old 2006.06.27, 06:53 PM   #7
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiTam
I left my stock car ON and it was stuck against the RCP track by itself. A minute later the Forward FET fried. It was my fastest stock car ever purchased-33km/h with X speed/8T. After I replace the FET I am not sure whether it will be as fast as before.
I hope it is...replace the fet with a new Kyosho AWD fet ; )

this car has an atomic z2 and the pictured fet stack that Magic did, tho i'm sure it looked alot better before the over heat. it's a damn shame because the car was off, and i know this for sure, 10000% sure. I checked before i went to bed during an obsessive-compulsive fit, because i was running the cars last nite.

the other nite at action rc i worked with al and swapped the terminals to gold into a new gray chassis, installed delrin servo gears and a new servo saver and for the first time it was driving perfectly. Al commented that it was among the fastest mod mr-02 he's seen.

now its dead!

Old 2006.06.27, 09:28 PM   #8
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I don't have any idea what could have happen but that is a bummer. You'll get it back up and running though.

If you figure out what could have happens, be sure to report back.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.06, 09:02 PM   #9
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
I don't have any idea what could have happen but that is a bummer. You'll get it back up and running though.

If you figure out what could have happens, be sure to report back.
it's back!

check toward the end of this thread-

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22112

0113 fets are PUNCHY! let's see how long they last ; )

Old 2006.08.07, 12:59 AM   #10
jaeneke
miniZ teletubbie

well... i had the same problem last week !

i have a fully tuned AWD for the track and as usual i left the batteries in after driving a minute or 2.
i put the car "off" and i left the house.

an hour later my wife calls me to tell me that the car was stuck on the carpet going full throttle !
i told her to get the car and check if the switch was in "off" position.
...it was...

i told her to put it in "on" and "off" position a few times to see if that works, it didn't.
so i told het to pul out the batteries.

when i got home i checked the damage, the fet's(upgraded) where burned and if i put the batts back in the car starts to run at aprox. 75%.
when i turn the car on the car keeps going @ 75% but with the switch on i can steer and go 100% throttle !

i think that when my wife found the car it should be running aprox. 20-30 minutes because the batteries where almost dead.

someone at my club(who is briljant in electronics)said to me that the fet's are always powered by the batts even if the switch is in off position.
and that something interfeerd that made the car go 'nuts'.

and i have done one thing near the car what i normally never do and that is put the pn discharger with discharging batts next to the car...
HPI savage : 35 full fastlane alloy 4.6BB
hormann HT2 bigscale 26cc
team losi miniT PRO
team losi microT lipo
jaeneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.07, 01:53 AM   #11
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
I know this sounds...well' simple.....but don't leave the batteries in the car unattended....EVER!

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.07, 02:10 AM   #12
jaeneke
miniZ teletubbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogbreathRacing
I know this sounds...well' simple.....but don't leave the batteries in the car unattended....EVER!
jep, i got that point last week
HPI savage : 35 full fastlane alloy 4.6BB
hormann HT2 bigscale 26cc
team losi miniT PRO
team losi microT lipo
jaeneke is offline   Reply With Quote