Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.10.25, 09:06 AM   #1
Bxclip

need help picking a mini z mr-03 kit - first mini z!!!

Hi all,

I've always been into a 1/10th nitro on road cars. since getting married and having a kid, i have fell off( still have the cars)

i visited a local hobby shop for the first time to get paint for our pumpkins.

There is aw they now have a mini z track! and i was hooked!

now i've always been the type to buy every hop up and dont want to start with a rtr kit plus i love speed!

I've narrowed it down to these two kits, which is better in you opinion and why?
i'm leaning towards the 32761G-B MINI-Z MR-03VE Chassis Set Gyro 50th Anniversary because of the gyro and some other stuff.

cant really differentiate between the two motors on which is faster as they don't give much info.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/MINI-Z-...r_p_23495.html

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/MINI-Z-...t_p_24762.html

thanks again
Bxclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.25, 09:57 AM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

First, welcome to the forum. Sounds like another that has stumbled into Bruckner.

Of the two cars you linked the second one is the best candidate. The gyro is a nice touch for shoveling snow(drifting) but is a terrible nuisance for racing. If it is speed you are looking for you will find that most any "Z" platform will be faster than you are ready for in the confined space of most RCP layouts. Since you have a background in fuel you will be a little better prepared.

My recommendation would be to hang out at the track and get to know the people and what they race and start making decisions from there.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.25, 10:30 AM   #3
Bxclip

yep, it was Bruckner!

i was more sort planing on buying, making a small track in my yard and have a few friends get into this with me.

of course we will go Friday's to bruckner!

the Gp was my first choice, i like that i can buy the better transmitter with it.. Bruckner doesn't carry it, where is the best place to order one and get the bet price? can i use any body on it, adjust width?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
First, welcome to the forum. Sounds like another that has stumbled into Bruckner.

Of the two cars you linked the second one is the best candidate. The gyro is a nice touch for shoveling snow(drifting) but is a terrible nuisance for racing. If it is speed you are looking for you will find that most any "Z" platform will be faster than you are ready for in the confined space of most RCP layouts. Since you have a background in fuel you will be a little better prepared.

My recommendation would be to hang out at the track and get to know the people and what they race and start making decisions from there.

Last edited by Bxclip; 2017.10.25 at 10:41 AM.
Old 2017.10.25, 11:46 AM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

I was in a similar boat to you a couple months ago. I had raced Mini Zs for 3-4 years, starting with MR01 and xmods, then mostly MR02 (27am crystals), and then I had kids right as the ASF MR02s were coming out. All the stuff sat in bins in the basement for 10 years. After sticking my toe in the water again, I jumped in up to my neck.

I think you're on the right track with the GP Limited. You should be able to find one for around $225 shipped if you look around. They are backordered at A Main, but I think they'll get them back soon. There's a $5 coupon right now also.

The most confusing thing right now is the different radio formats. After asking some of the same questions you're asking, and racing with a local club, I've come to the conclusion that ASF is still the way to go. If you want to spend a little extra, you can get a new MHS controller and it will work great for that chassis you're looking at, and should also be compatible with ASF.

For me, I like having several cars for different uses. Stock class, HFAY class, modded super fast, and maybe some short wheelbase cars where I just like to run a certain body. I also wanted to keep using all my tricked out MR02s. I did grab a used MR03 Sport ready set, and that will be my stock car and I'll run it with the KT-19 stock controller. But because all the new Sport and Sport2 MR03s are FHS, I won't continue down that path. If you're the tinkering type, you can get MR03 ASF clone boards from Banggood for $40. Basically, I feel like the controller is maybe more important than the individual cars, and I don't want to have to invest in 3 different controllers.

You might check out this thread: http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41067 where I asked some of the same questions.

Yes, you can use any body. You need to get the correct offset for your wheels, and possibly the correct front end setup for the chassis (it can be configured narrow or wide). With that rocket ship GP limited, I'd highly recommend only considering bodies with 98mm or better wheelbase, and +2 or +3 wheel offset. Audi R8, Ferrari 458 Italia, Mosler, Ferrari 599. While some of the info is old, most of it is still relevant: http://www.mini-z-guide.com There's a page of bodies that shows wheelbase and wheel offset.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2017.10.25 at 11:52 AM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.25, 12:03 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

At the top of the forum page you will see a tab named shop. That is our benefactor, Tiny RC.com. Though they are decently stocked they may not always have available what you need so go there first. After that you are pretty much on your own. Shopping with Kyosho directly is a good bet as well and then there is RC Kenon which has always been a really good place to shop. Just don't get blinded by the bling. Ask around before selecting anything.

All of the 2wd chassis will adjust from basically 90mm to 102mm wheelbase with various motor placement options as well. There are wide and narrow adjustments for track width as well. The most popular configuration remains to be 98mm, wide, mid motor. The wheel offsets are governed by the individual body which is up to you. You will want something in a +1 front +2 rear or a +2 front and +3 rear for the best steering balance. For tires you will want to stick to Kyosho 30 front and 20 rear. There are many other options out there but batch to batch consistency can be a concern as well as excessive wear characteristics. With the Kyosho rubber you have stability in the tire department. For batteries any good grade of AAA rechargeables with a MAH rating of 1000 or less will get you going. Anything rated higher will give you run time but less power and punch.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.25, 12:24 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
if you like to tinker, you could build a car relatively inexpensively. you can start with the PN 2.5W chassis and pick up various parts kits to obtain the stock parts needed (steering box). electronics are personal preference. you can go with a kyosho board, any variant of DSM carried by PN, ASF by GL Racing or GOGO Lap, etc. if you can find a damaged board to steal the switch, servo and pot from, the ASF clone board is a good option but you need the switch, servo motor and pot.
from that point, your picking parts based on preference and depth of your wallet

if you interested in AWD, do more reading... there are any number of aftermarket chassis kits these days that offer very compelling performance.

if your set on building off of one or the other kits linked, the VE Pro GP limited offers more parts, speed, etc.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.25, 01:07 PM   #7
Bxclip

appreciate all the help. will go with the gp within the next month!
Old 2017.10.25, 03:47 PM   #8
bobbyz

I can verify the GP with the VE Pro board being a good choice. I held off for quite a while getting a brushless setup, but recently put a VE Pro board in a PN 2.5 chassis. Works great! Ditto on checking to see what classes your local track runs, and seeing what setups others are running as well
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.10.26, 05:44 PM   #9
Minizorro

If you think you’ll end up buying loads of aftermarket parts, get the most basic car with the board of your choice, brushed brushless or pro., and choose your alunparts.
Not sure the pro is worth the money unless you have the lates ko radio. Talking about radio, which one do you use for your 1/10? Some radios can use the KO module (some internally) so if you happen to have a radio that could be used for your Miniz, I would consider sourcing a KO module
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote