Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.05.16, 08:43 AM   #1
jude26

Micro RS4 vs Mini T vs Xray M18

I'm thinking of getting myself a 1/18 scale vehicle and I'm not sure which of these are better. Which are the advantages/disadvantages of the three? I guess the MiniT doesn't really fit with the other two since it can go offroad and its only 2WD. I guess then that its really between the Micro RS4 & Xray M18. Which is more reliable, cheaper, easier to build, faster, ect....
Any help is appreciated.
jude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.16, 09:46 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

1/18ths

Here's a link to the YourMicro Forums

HPI Micro RS4
  • Available as kit or in RTR format.
  • Proven over time
  • Hassle free belt drive
  • Asjustable 140-150mm wheelbase
  • Can use 1/10th or "standard size" electronics on it
  • Plenty of hop ups available
  • Excellent 3rd party chassis choices
  • Cheap to run and maintain
  • A huge following

Team XRay M18
  • Kit form only with no motor or electrronics
  • Smooth shaft drive
  • Independant suspension all round
  • Uses Micro RS4 wheels and bodyshells
  • 150mm wheelbase only
  • New product, so limited hop-ups available
  • Limited battery configurations
  • Only uses Micro Electronics
  • Becoming very popular with racers

Losi Mini-T
  • Only avilable in RTR
  • Standard electronics not exactly brilliant
  • New(ish) product, so hops ups coming out fast
  • Off road ability
  • Limited bodyshell choice - as in off road bodyshells only

I don't own a Mini-T yet, but I do own a few Micro RS4s an M18 and a Bartos Racing Product SC18.
The BRP SC18 is a 1/18th RWD pan car that can and will whup any Micro RS4 or M18.

he bottom line is: personal choice. Choose what suits your requirements, all the Micro scale cars are awesome.
No manufacturer makes the perfect 1/18th scale Micro racer, but there are some fantastic choices out there

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.16, 11:02 AM   #3
jude26

Thanks for the detailed answer.
I'm really starting to lean towards the Micro RS4
Old 2004.05.18, 04:23 PM   #4
helee4

Send a message via MSN to helee4 Send a message via Yahoo to helee4 Send a message via Skype™ to helee4
Finally put together my Xray M18 last night with a 6 cells K3 motor, and all I can say is -- this thing rocks!

It is better fit with micro electronics, except for the servo, standard ESC (I've got MC230) fit pretty good as well.

I was debating the same thing before I decided buying my Xray, but after reading much from www.one18th.com, pretty all owners pointed to me that M18 is made for racing and even in the stock form a highly hopped up Micro RS4 can be difficult to catch up with. Though, it requires assembling, but think of how many times we have to take apart our mini-z, this is really most of us has to go through eventually. It is extremely solidily built, and can take more abuse with my poor driving skill One more thing, once you have gathered all your parts for your M18, excluding the body work, it should really take you about two hours to assemble it.
helee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.18, 07:30 PM   #5
rckid1
Mini-Z Nerd

[QUOTE=Mondo]Here's a link to the YourMicro Forums

[The BRP SC18 is a 1/18th RWD pan car that can and will whup any Micro RS4 or M18.

Brps are insanly fast i had one but never got the chance to run it but if you get a Big Block and some killer electonics that thing is faster than a medeoker nitro car

Mod MR-01 Blue chassis, roll shock, x speed, red alum. screws, kyosho sp turning tirods and kuckles, diff, corvette, bearings

Mod MR-02 Enoz custom, BBS alum rims, st. steel king pins, red chassis, x speed, oil shock, diff, bearings
rckid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.18, 07:48 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
talk about timing

i too am considering getting somethign for the streets on those hot summer days.
these 3 choices are the same ones i was looking as well. while the rs4 seems to have lots of parts and availability is a sure thing, the m18 was recommended to me over the rs4.

i only wish i could find a honda civic hatchback body for them i'd love to have an rc version of my own tuner car (past tense)

can anyone point to a good place to check out prices etc, other than ebay?

will yourmicro shop carry the m18?

Last edited by arch2b; 2004.05.18 at 09:49 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.19, 09:28 AM   #7
helee4

Send a message via MSN to helee4 Send a message via Yahoo to helee4 Send a message via Skype™ to helee4
arch2b:

$89 Shipped

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//p608.html
Old 2004.05.19, 11:36 AM   #8
jude26

Hey Arch, I ended up going with the Xray M18. I heard too many good things about it and after reading the article my RC car action, I was sold. I bought mine off of ebay brand new kit for $89 + $7 shipping.
Hope you find a better deal then that.
Old 2004.05.19, 12:48 PM   #9
helee4

Jude26, I think you made a good choice, cuz I am very happy that I decided to get my Xray M18 instead of other 1/18 scale cars.

I wouldn't recommend getting the Power Pack though
Old 2004.05.19, 12:59 PM   #10
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
well, i think i might have an m18 deal in the works so it looks like i'm going to get that.

can anyone recommend a good electronics package? i don't want anything extreme, just good enough to have fun.

any recommended upgrades? not looking to break any land speed records, this will be just for fun but i don't want to get passed by my turbo z's either
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.19, 02:14 PM   #11
helee4

Here is my setup:

Futaba 2PL - got it from tower hobbies for $89, with MC230 ESC, can't use the servo because that's standard size. A lot of ppl use Novak SPY, but I've heard them said it is actually lack of punch and braking power compare to MC230

Hitech 81mg micro servo (with metal gear)

I have got a K3 motor with aluminum motor mount, 6 cells from United RC. Price is good and I have heard the K3 is actually faster than Speed 300 motor.

But if you decide to get a 6 cells but only stock micro motor, you will need to use 17T pinion gear and 37 Spur gear, cuz I fried my stock motor in the first day. Seems like heat is a common problem for most M18 owners.
Old 2004.05.20, 12:46 AM   #12
herman

hmm...

are there any problems with the servo's? i've seen some without servo savers, and i don't know if the 81 mg can handle all the bashing....

thanks for any info....
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.20, 03:03 AM   #13
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Servos

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman
hmm...

are there any problems with the servo's? i've seen some without servo savers, and i don't know if the 81 mg can handle all the bashing....

thanks for any info....
He HS81MGs are great little servos, believe you me. Use the HPI Servo Saver kit (with the Micro RS4 and M18) and it should last.

I have an XRay M18 too. A free sample from a very good freind He knows who he is.
I have just bought a Mamba Brushless setup for it from United RC. I chose the 5600kv motor as the 6800kv is just too fast. (According to Castle Creations, the manufacturer 60mph+ on a Mini-T with the 6800Kv motor!)
This M18 is going to fly, before I complete it, I am hunting down a carbon chassis and some ball-diffs as I fear the standard units wont hold up to the brushless setup.
If I like the brushless setup I will convert one of the Micro RS4's to brushless too.

Stay tuned right here

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.05.29, 07:49 PM   #14
TeaQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
well, i think i might have an m18 deal in the works so it looks like i'm going to get that.

can anyone recommend a good electronics package? i don't want anything extreme, just good enough to have fun.

any recommended upgrades? not looking to break any land speed records, this will be just for fun but i don't want to get passed by my turbo z's either

Did you end up getting the M18?

I have a VERY nice RS4 I'm trying to sell/trade

---==6-Cell Mod Tutorial==---
TeaQue is offline   Reply With Quote