Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Mini RC

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 2007.07.25, 06:38 PM   #31
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
will you continue with the initial chassis build? after all, we are all reading about your race worthy xmod and the claims it's performing better than a/your mini-z. i think you have many interested reads waiting to see the results of that build.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.26, 05:49 PM   #32
color01

Kel - After building my Xwaver, I'm pretty convinced that any kind of Xmod electronics will limit your performance versus any Mini-Z. I'd just pick up two EnjoyRC or Iwaver boards and convert the cars over.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.28, 10:02 AM   #33
Kel

I have been busy working on the hobby-grade EVO for a while. I need some of your help. Does anyone know how to hook up a HS-55 servo to a Iwaver board? I am having trouble making the stock servo work with the upgraded board, so some help would be nice.
Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.29, 12:08 PM   #34
bda52
I want my two dollars!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bda52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel
I have been busy working on the hobby-grade EVO for a while. I need some of your help. Does anyone know how to hook up a HS-55 servo to a Iwaver board? I am having trouble making the stock servo work with the upgraded board, so some help would be nice.
I do not know the answer to your question but you might have better luck posting that question in the "Iwaver" section of the board.
bda52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.31, 01:14 PM   #35
Kel

Arch- don't worry, the other build will continue. I'm just doing this other chassis on the side while I wait for parts.

The Hobby grade EVO is here. I put an Iwaver board in there, and the results are pretty good. I have not had a chance to race it yet, but I will soon. Here are some pics:

It is all in working condition, and the steering is glitchless. I will post how I like it after I get some time to test it out.
Old 2007.07.31, 01:27 PM   #36
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
nice, clean work!
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.31, 02:28 PM   #37
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

Send a message via AIM to Limeaway
Looks great! Once you do test it, and you're satisfied with the result, you should think about shortening some of the wires, looks confusing . Have you considered using some atomic wheels in order to use some mini-z tires? You could just shave off the ridge on the Radio Shack wheels, though...
Limeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.01, 05:21 PM   #38
color01

AWD dish rims of some brand would be perfect for this.

I like the clean conversion, glad to hear that it works fine!

Greyscale RC

Old 2007.08.02, 06:38 AM   #39
byebye

Kel that's some impressive work !

Arch2b we should consider sticking this thread. It has lots of good information as far as upgrades and tuning. I just cant' think of where to put it.

Kel again I commend you. Sounds like a fun project. I have an EVO sitting in my junk bodies drawer aling with NIP upgrade parts. I believe you can actually make a race worthy x-mod while still staying within the rules of HFAY stock class.

Goodjob! And keep us posted.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.03, 12:49 PM   #40
Kel

Thanks Byebye, I hope that your EVO will be put to good use.

I finally got a chance to test out the Iwavered evo. And the results are....well... alright, in my opinion. The range was much more than an xmod, and the steering was smooth. Yes, it was easier to drive around the track, but the only thing it lacked was speed. I was running a stage 2 in an atmoic ball-bearing case, and the speed was a little less than my stock racer evo. Even if I took out the AWD, the speed was not that much better. I think the FETs on a EVO car are much better than any stock Iwaver or Mini-z FETs, which is why the speed is more on the EVO board. I should also add that I was using the same gearing as my stock class racer.

In the end, I don't think I'm going to keep the Iwaver board in there for much longer. I have other projects that could use it, and even though the steering is better than an EVO's, it is not worth it in an xmod. I am going to continue the stock EVO chassis for now and use the stock electronics. I have improved the EVO's steering alot, even though it is harder to drive than the Iwavered one. Besides, I always like a challenge, and the purpose of this build is to make the Xmod race worthy while keeping it's electronics stock.

For those of you who want to try the Iwaver conversion on the Evo chassis, you need to solder the orange and black pot wires on pad S1 on the iwaver board, and the white pot wire goes to pad S2. The servo motor wires go to pad M- and M+ on the C4 resistor pad. Hope this helps.

More updates on the stock EVO car in a few hours, while I finish up mounting a new body on it.
Old 2007.08.04, 09:34 AM   #41
Kel

Now the stock racer really looks like a mini-Z! I got a Mini-z blue skyline R34 mounted and it fit perfect. I didn't even need to extend the wheel base, the wheels and the wheel wells lined up perfectly. The improvements of using this body is that is it lower, weighs less than my xmod body, even after all the material was shaved away, and the added strength. Almost forgot that it looks sweet! Check out the pics on how I mounted it.

I used a modified Xmod WRX front clip. It fits perfect in the body clip slot with a little trimming.

Now for the rear mounting, the setup is similar to a Mini-Z's. On each side of the body there are pins that line up to holes in the chassis. The Pin things on mine are screws that are held in on the other side of the white piece, I had to take them off and then glue them back in. To put on the body you just need to flex the body, like you do to fit on a mini-z, and it clips right in.

Here are the mounting holes on the sides of the chassis. Once the body clips in, it holds very well. I have yet to have the body fall off after a crash.

And here are some shots with the body on. I think it looks great with the gold rims and low stance.

Now when I'm driving on the track, it looks like a mini-z until I show the chassis. If you ever wanted to mount a Mini-z body on an xmod, this is a pretty easy and good way to do it. Tell me what you think.

Last edited by Kel; 2007.08.04 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2007.08.04, 01:00 PM   #42
Limeaway
MA-010 Owner

Send a message via AIM to Limeaway
Nice job! Really clean fit, looks as if it was made to fit on the evo chassis.
Limeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 01:51 PM   #43
color01

That's just clean as heck. Now you need better wheels and tires.

Greyscale RC

Old 2007.08.04, 03:52 PM   #44
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

exellent way of mounting the body
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 04:22 PM   #45
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Look's slick, I guess now it is a Zmods. I had my run in with Xmods body on an MR02, that showed me how much heavier the bodies are. And how it effects the handling.

This thing has so much in the nose, it's like a 454 big block. If I go easy with it it's fine, just no good for racing though.

Last edited by HammerZ; 2007.08.04 at 04:27 PM.
HammerZ is offline   Reply With Quote