Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.09.18, 09:03 AM   #16
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
speaking in generalities

being a shop owner is no easy task. i've talked to enough of them to know they have alot to do and very little wiggle room with which to do it. the bottom line is, it's his business and inorder for it to continue staying in business money will always be an issue. i know some shop owners that are just as frustrated dealing with it as some customers are but it's the necessary evil and some one has to do it.

while those prices are no doubt on the high end, new york i would think has a premium on realestate. it's not like having a shop in a strip mall out in the burbs (i'm assuming he's in the city). what mini-z's i've seen in local hobby shops have been marked up very high as well but that had more to do with tower screwing them than location. while pricing from k. usa is cheaper, as the prices have dropped on items here, it may not be so for hobby shops who don't have dealer setups with k. usa and i havbe no idea if you guy does or not.

i have heard stories about lhs owners getting very upset or hostile in general toward cutomers who bring in items purchased from other sources. while i understand their situation, i would seriously disagree with that attitude taken. i'm just lucky i guess that the lhs guys here are total large scale snobs and don't really pay attention to anyone smaller than 1:18. giving people attitude for things like this does nothing for creating a welcoming atmosphere or even friedly one for that matter. everyone has the freedom of choice and if that is not supported, i would not stick around very long. btw, i have supported lhs shops before for other things such as trains and paint supplies.... not all of them are still around now it's a very tuff market now that e commerce has become more of the standard business model for this feild as there is less overhead and operating costs. brick and mortar shops are in a very tuff position, one that i do not envy. especially with products such as rcp and core available to the average person or group and the ability to host racing by the average person or group will only further hurt the old business model. i can say that having races without the hassle of money being involved is a very nice thing venu's like the dc/ps/ny gtg races so far have been free of charge as have all the dc gtg races i've hosted. i think you'll find more and more people less willing to pay to race especially when their is attitude involved when local club racing will become more and more of an available option.

this may or may not apply to anyone here, just airing my thoughts i guess. i've come across other such stories of the last 4 years.....
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.18, 10:13 AM   #17
gasman1

Send a message via AIM to gasman1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionblade
I know it did sound arrogant, but it wasn't really meant as an insult to anyone else...just frustration with Al, mostly because of him accusing me of not paying. And I did ask him to put me as last in the B main before he sorted everything, and that, well, it wouldn't be fair. And look what happened...I don't like to do that. It's not enjoyable for me to do that, and I know none of the other guys liked it. I just want everyone to run with who they can.

I didn't ask Mag to defend me so adamantly, I was confused why he did. It seemed to have mattered more to him than me what main I was in.

I didn't like it, but I figured I'd just accept the bad day.

And I've had disagreements with him before, so this isn't anything new, really. If you remember Bobby(or as Mag referred to him as, "hacker Bobby"), well he and his buddy Izzy were at the old place a lot. We ran together a lot, so naturally we clashed sometimes. Some weekend in February or so, in the main, Bobby, Izzy, myself, and the kid Nick were racing. I don't know what the two of them were saying about Nick, but it was bad enough to make him cry...They left, and I was accused of making the poor kid cry, though I had nothing to do with it. And in the whole argument in the office, Al didn't even defend me, though he didn't know what happened. And after that, he started to ignore me a little, so I ignored him back. I guess when I came and stopped buying stuff from him(notable the SLR), he stopped paying much attention to me. Honestly, I'd love to support him...but he marks everything up so much. $50 for an Autoscale? $23 for and unpainted body?? $8 for 2 tires?! You see the pattern.

That whole motor rule doesn't concern me at all, so I'm not bothered...don't know why Mag was worked up.

But the thing about putting himself in the B main instead of me did honestly bug me a little...but only because it was Al. I thought that since he's the owner, he would take care of his customers a little? He gave his 3rd place trophy to Johnathan, why not let me into the B main? He didn't even have to bump himself out, really...could've just stuck me in. Honestly, with the 9t in there, he knew I was fast...my lap times were better than his.

But hey, you're right, that's racing. I just don't think racing should be a business sometimes...especially when I get accused of skipping out on paying someone. That's not the right way to go about it.
Sometimes it better to keep one's thoughts to one's self.

Our club has delt with Al on several occasions and found him to be quite accomodating and fair. He has rent to pay and a family to feed. Put yourself in his shoes and you would be doing the same thing if you wanted to stay in business.

Maybe you are alienating yourself by posting these comments. It's Ok to write them down to vent your anger, just don't click on the "Submit" button. Just my personal opinion.
Old 2005.09.18, 12:54 PM   #18
michvin

I wasn't there to see what happened, so i won't comment on that.
As to prices, yes, Al is quite expensive, but he can't really compete with ebay prices - he has a rent to pay etc... (lap counter alone costs couple of 1000s....).
We'd better notargue - we're too little to split up. Let's keep peace and good racing!
Hope to see you guys next week!
Old 2005.09.18, 02:55 PM   #19
Lionblade
Honor & a shot of sake.

Send a message via AIM to Lionblade Send a message via MSN to Lionblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
I wasn't there to see what happened, so i won't comment on that.
As to prices, yes, Al is quite expensive, but he can't really compete with ebay prices - he has a rent to pay etc... (lap counter alone costs couple of 1000s....).
We'd better notargue - we're too little to split up. Let's keep peace and good racing!
Hope to see you guys next week!
Crop said something about Al getting the new Core system...but not receiving the software & the cable was too short. Something like that.

I just hope there's no tension between Magic & Al from now on..it doesn't bother me what race I'm in or what motor I have to run, but Mag said something along the lines of "I'm sure you wouldn't care if I stopped coming here" to Al. Hope there's no strife next week between anyone.
Lionblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.18, 03:02 PM   #20
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Magic does not shy away from confrontations that he feels strong about. The motor issue as well as a few small issues had been bothering him.

Costs for running his business are quite high, and he could probably just barely keep the doors of the shop open on racing fees alone. He needs the sale of parts to make it somewhat worthwile. A lot of work is put in to setup such a venue. A garage track is much easier to setup, since most of the time, people would be running a single group. You also have to remember, that he has a family as well. Which takes its toll on the hours that he can race and have the track open. We used to race until 3am at Canal, which I loved because there was lots of practice between heats.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.18, 03:28 PM   #21
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Crop said something about Al getting the new Core system...but not receiving the software & the cable was too short. Something like that.

I just hope there's no tension between Magic & Al from now on..it doesn't bother me what race I'm in or what motor I have to run, but Mag said something along the lines of "I'm sure you wouldn't care if I stopped coming here" to Al. Hope there's no strife next week between anyone.
you have to buy a usb extension cable and he will get the software via a link to download. it's all ben discussed in the core support section of the forum
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.21, 09:32 PM   #22
Lionblade
Honor & a shot of sake.

@EMU: I have a few packs of IC3's coming, one for you. Unfortunately, I won't have them in my hands until Tuesday at the earliest, so I won't be able to give them to you on Saturday.

By the way, did you notice if I left 4 extras IC3's at the track? I can't find them...running on 1 pack will be a little exhausting for the batteries.
Old 2005.09.21, 11:39 PM   #23
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
@EMU: I have a few packs of IC3's coming, one for you. Unfortunately, I won't have them in my hands until Tuesday at the earliest, so I won't be able to give them to you on Saturday.
Thanks
Quote:
By the way, did you notice if I left 4 extras IC3's at the track? I can't find them...running on 1 pack will be a little exhausting for the batteries.
Magic has your cells.
Old 2005.09.22, 02:48 PM   #24
Lionblade
Honor & a shot of sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Thanks
Anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Magic has your cells.
Figures. I left in a hurry last Saturday. I should be back in the B on Saturday, hopefully this Speedy 05 won't break down on me.

I'm still kind of annoyed the other one went...the motor was only a month old, maybe 4-5 hours of runtime on it. Must've just got a bad one.

What are you running this weekend? If you run the McLaren, I can use the Magene themed Enzo and the 3 team cars can race together. It'd be cool if we were both good enough to get into the A main...3 cars with the same scheme would mess with a few people.

Even when he had a bad back we couldn't beat him.
Old 2005.09.22, 02:53 PM   #25
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Anytime.

Figures. I left in a hurry last Saturday. I should be back in the B on Saturday, hopefully this Speedy 05 won't break down on me.

I'm still kind of annoyed the other one went...the motor was only a month old, maybe 4-5 hours of runtime on it. Must've just got a bad one.

What are you running this weekend? If you run the McLaren, I can use the Magene themed Enzo and the 3 team cars can race together. It'd be cool if we were both good enough to get into the A main...3 cars with the same scheme would mess with a few people.

Even when he had a bad back we couldn't beat him.
I dont think I am going to run the McLaren body on the 01 anymore. I have attached an Enzo front clip The McLaren body is just a little too narrow, so if I brush the walls, servo breaks. I think I am going to convert one of my 01's to an 015 chassis sometime in the near future when I get some cash (so I can at least have a servo saver).

The only way your colors would change, is if I owned your body. Magic uses my car, which is why he is green/silver. If he uses his own cars, he can be any color

Last edited by EMU; 2005.09.22 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2005.09.22, 03:03 PM   #26
Lionblade
Honor & a shot of sake.

Running an Enzo always seems to be a good alternative.

Do you prefer the yellow Enzo or the Green/silver one? The different wings chage the hadling a little bit. I prefer the green/silver, it seems to push a little more, which I like. Which one are you going to use?

I've finally got enough for a new body...but I don't really think it's worth it right now, not sure what's gonna happen with my Z's in a few weeks...I know it looks like I mooch off you by eventually using one of your bodies every week..
Old 2005.09.22, 10:20 PM   #27
EMU
EMUracing

The green/silver is more stable, yellow is faster (paint adds weight, and stability).

I dont know which body I am going to use. I need to grind both of their rear windows out for shock clearance. Whichever body I dont use, feel free to use.
Old 2005.09.22, 11:17 PM   #28
michvin

EMU,
I've just pre-ordered the AWD mini-z
Old 2005.09.22, 11:19 PM   #29
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
EMU,
I've just pre-ordered the AWD mini-z
You lucky guy Im going to have to wait a little while I may get one of the new Xmods to setup for drifting.
Old 2005.09.22, 11:21 PM   #30
michvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
You lucky guy Im going to have to wait a little while I may get one of the new Xmods to setup for drifting.
Do you have a site with the new x-mod?