Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.08.01, 09:08 AM   #1
flood
Elite

Send a message via AIM to flood
Kingpin fallout and one other problem

I am really loving this little car, its loads of fun.

The only problems that I seem to be having is the kingpins keep losing the clips that hold them in. I have used all my spares that it came with and I am thinking about upgrading to the stainless kingpins. Do they come with new clips? Are they metal as well?

Also I had a problem with the steering servo. I had used the car for about 45 minutes on a tennis court (highspeed endurance) and the steering stopped working. I thought maybe it was because the battery was low. I re-charged the batteries and was still not able to steer the dang thing. I took the servo unit apart in the front and did not see any apparent problems, put it back together and it worked again. Any idea as to what happened?

Any input is appricated, I hope that the stainless steel kingpins use metal clips and not those cheesy plasic ones.
flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.01, 10:24 AM   #2
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

clip pop-out is a problem for me too. unfortunately those plastic ones lose grip over a short period of time. even without repetitive removal.

i asked the LHS if there were any c-clips small enough that i could use... nope

as for your steering problem, i'm wondering if it's a combination between bumper drag and lack of tire grip causing you to understeer.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.01, 12:25 PM   #3
DEREK A.
Mini-Z Novice

KING PIN CLIPS

HEY GUYS, I'VE NOTICED THAT THE LITTLE PLASTIC CLIPS SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE. AFTER SPLITTING THEY DON'T HOLD PROPERLY. I'M ALSO ON THE HUNT FOR AN ALTERNATIVE.
DEREK A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.01, 12:48 PM   #4
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

it's a shame we can't buy the clips by themselves without having to purchase those other spare parts we don't need

mini-Z, any ideas from the shop?

currently working on ideas myself...

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.08.01 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2002.08.01, 01:08 PM   #5
flood
Elite

You can't just buy the clips?! ?

Thats silly, if that is they way it is. I WILL come up with a solution to this if that is really the case. I saw a pic of the stainless steel pins and they dont' appear to have a spot for the clip even?

Has anyone used these on the F1 cars yet?
Old 2002.08.01, 01:44 PM   #6
Josheus
Mini-Z Pro

how bout twirling some wire round it then twist the end tight???? just an idea
Josheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.01, 03:08 PM   #7
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

F1 Kingpins

No, the Kyosho stainless kingpins for the F1 do NOT ship with those plastic circlips.
I received three sets today from the Mini-ZRacer.com shop

What I did was put a drop of CA glue on them, as I have no reason to remove them.
I placed just a pinhead amount on either side of the areas where those clips make contact on the groove.

As for the jammed steering issue, look for small stones that wedge within the steering arm area. That was more than likely the cause.

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.01, 03:21 PM   #8
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

flood.

the kingpins have grooves for the clips, otherwise they could easily slide out.

i might try the ca glue idea as i'm down to my last two clips.

in fact i might even use some string and tether it in case they still find a way to pop out from a good impact.
Old 2002.08.01, 04:29 PM   #9
flood
Elite

Yeah, the glue isn't a bad idea. It may last alot longer than the clips.

I think the rocks in the arm may have been it. I took it all apart and may not have noticed any debris in there. Plus when It wasn't steering correctly it was hard to move the wheels... So I will look at that next time, thanks.

Adding string may also serve as a feature of an F1 car. Don't they tie the wheels onto the frame to keep them together in case of an accident? I am afraid of losing the kingpin, I have been lucky in finding them so far.

Old 2002.08.02, 10:21 AM   #10
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
mini-Z, any ideas from the shop?
I will try to find out if they are included in any of the replacement parts sets, and in the mean time, if anyone is able to find a suitable replacement at their LHS or hardware store, let us know the specs and we'll get some and send them free with kingpin orders or something.
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.02, 12:04 PM   #11
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

Quote:
I will try to find out if they are included in any of the replacement parts sets

miniZ. they are sold as a set with other misc parts. not sure what the package number is right off hand but you end up getting only two clips each time. the package also has the square shaped tool, pinion tree, and bunch of other stuff.

so every time you replace two clips you get a collection of extras you don't need.
Old 2002.08.02, 12:30 PM   #12
flood
Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by mini-z

I will try to find out if they are included in any of the replacement parts sets, and in the mean time, if anyone is able to find a suitable replacement at their LHS or hardware store, let us know the specs and we'll get some and send them free with kingpin orders or something.
Thanks for checking. It should have a metal clip with metal kingpins. It would just make sense.

Im suprised that they used this design. I have only had it a week and I already know this design sucks, and others have to have the same problem. What needs to be done is steel kingpins with a hole drilled at the top, then you could put a metal clip through the hole then bend the ends so it doesn't come out ! There must be a reason that they did not do this but I don't know why.

Perhaps they want to make a million extra dollars on small plastic c-clips?

I was able to fashion my own clip out of a piece of plastic (thin). I heated up a needle and pushed it through the plastic, then used an exacto knife and cut the V to the hole. I don't think its good looking at all, more ghetto than anything. But it holds up better than Kyosho's design.
Old 2002.08.02, 12:37 PM   #13
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by West.F1

miniZ. they are sold as a set with other misc parts. not sure what the package number is right off hand but you end up getting only two clips each time. the package also has the square shaped tool, pinion tree, and bunch of other stuff.

so every time you replace two clips you get a collection of extras you don't need.
This doesn't sound like the most effective solution then - can someone try to source them at a hardware store or something, and we'll hand them out on request?
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.08.04, 09:32 AM   #14
Lord_bunker
Mini-Z Pro

you could try filling a notch in the pin then tapping the chassis for a set screw like some of the 1/10 buggies and what not do to hold in the hinge pins.
Lord_bunker is offline   Reply With Quote