Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.06.18, 07:57 PM   #1
celt

it's a squirt gun!

hey gents,

Getting back into mini-z racing from a long time off - new track opening here in Madison Wisconsin.

Picked up the MR-03VE PRO GP w/ 12000kv motor! Wow that seems like a ton of power. Also an EX-6 radio...

Question is, the throttle is like a squirt gun. It goes to insane fast just breathing on the throttle...no modulation that I can feel. No way a mortal could drive this thing. Read the manual, calibrated the EX-6, altered every setting I could think of - no effect.

It would seem that 12000kv is a little excessive, but I assume it shouldn't behave like this?

Last edited by celt; 2017.06.19 at 10:38 AM.
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.06.19, 01:11 PM   #2
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

You can turn down the throttle travel to a lower level. I'm guessing its way up.
Old 2017.06.19, 02:59 PM   #3
TeeSquared
Redline

Throttle exponential might help too, but it also might make it worse because then you get more than 50% of your throttle range for less than 50% trigger throw on the top end.

This might sound crazy but bear with me: Are you still using the 6 tooth pinion? I'd install an 8 or 9, but still significantly turn down the throttle (try 30% to start). You may find that the higher gearing slows down the power delivery because less torque will be applied to the wheels. This increases the top speed though obviously, so throttle EPA will be used to limit top speed.

If you have or can use someone elses ICS adapter, you can probably tweak the power delivery settings or throttle response. I have no experience with this though so hopefully someone else can comment.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.06.19, 03:03 PM   #4
TeeSquared
Redline

Also, two more things:

1) Brushless Mini-Zs, in my experience, will always lack the progressive and linear feel of brushed motors. Higher KV motors seem to feel even less linear.

2) You might want to get the Blue "Eco" brushless motor from Kyosho and start there. It's about as fast as the old 49 turn X-speed motor by Kyosho but with more torque. Much more derivable on regular sized tracks and the run time is awesome. I use an 8 or 9 tooth pinion.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.06.19, 03:09 PM   #5
celt

thanks guys...

You've given me plenty to try. I found this article that seems to explain what you are saying well.

http://www.mini-z-guide.com/radio_endpoints.htm
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.06.24, 08:06 AM   #6
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
hey gents,

Getting back into mini-z racing from a long time off - new track opening here in Madison Wisconsin.

Picked up the MR-03VE PRO GP w/ 12000kv motor! Wow that seems like a ton of power. Also an EX-6 radio...

Question is, the throttle is like a squirt gun. It goes to insane fast just breathing on the throttle...no modulation that I can feel. No way a mortal could drive this thing. Read the manual, calibrated the EX-6, altered every setting I could think of - no effect.

It would seem that 12000kv is a little excessive, but I assume it shouldn't behave like this?
If I'm not mistaken there are warnings on the 12000kv motor instructions say that the gearing should stay with the 6 tooth pinion.

I think working with your transmitter can improve the squirt effect... I've had success with my converted 4pk getting a linear curve to power delivery on a kyosho red and a PN 5500kv. I don't know how different the 12k so I wish you luck with your efforts.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.06.26, 11:40 PM   #7
herman

I have the kyosho brushless blue (eco) and red (x speed) motors but haven't tried that insane 12,000kv motor. With the stock 6t pinion, the blue is almost like the kyosho stock motor but a bit faster with more punch when it kicks in (at least that's how I feel). It's about the same with the red motor (compared to the xspeed brushed motor). Hope you get it sorted out with that motor. Let us know what happens and what you did.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.07.10, 05:09 AM   #8
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
You've given me plenty to try. I found this article that seems to explain what you are saying well.

http://www.mini-z-guide.com/radio_endpoints.htm
This article only applies to transmitters that use modules and aren't mini z specific. Your ex-6 is mini-z specific. When you adjust your throttle highpoint/endpoint from 100% to 90% it will change accordingly. I have the exact same combination, (ex-6 with ve, ve pro, & ve pro gp) and I can squeeze the trigger a little and have any ve car crawl along at slow speed.

Try setting your throttle curve to a negative value.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote