Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.01.08, 03:33 PM   #16
themelis factor
PN RACING TEAM DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub1m View Post
Welcome to the carpet Landon. Carpet is just the best surface for the Miniz's.
You can't say that buddy it's just the easiest to set up and drive on. RCP is much more difficult to set up on but by far the fastest. I feel thats why everyone is going to carpet due to the setup factor. Anyone can put hard springs on the frontend and Win, TQ, break lap records the first time they run car. RCP you actually have to put some time on the track and work on the car

PN RACING
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP
THEMELIS FACTOR RACING CELLS (TFR)
themelis factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 12:18 AM   #17
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
I hope to have some good pics today of the sub-floor.
I assume you got the more permanent installation done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
Set up development hasn't really started yet, but initially the Kyosho tires I was running on the RCP worked the best. After the sub-floor gets done (tomorrow is my guess), then testing will move into a more aggressive phase. I'll keep every one here posted. "What tires" seems to be the big question so far
How did your Wednesday night racing go and what have you learned???
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 05:32 AM   #18
machgo5go
DJ Eddie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themelis factor View Post
You can't say that buddy it's just the easiest to set up and drive on. RCP is much more difficult to set up on but by far the fastest. I feel thats why everyone is going to carpet due to the setup factor. Anyone can put hard springs on the frontend and Win, TQ, break lap records the first time they run car. RCP you actually have to put some time on the track and work on the car
Pretty much well said since same opinion came from Kyosho's R&D personnel who I met at their home track in Japan in this past Summer : "My thinking is same as yours. Carpet is fine for beginner. RCP Urethan is good for expert. In Japan 50% carpet circuit and 50% RCP Urethan circuit."
MR-03 S2K Narrow AT60T Nihm
MR-03 BRZ Narrow PN70T Nihm
MR-03 Enzo Ferrari GT Concept Xspeed SP2012
MR-03VE 2005 NSXGT AT 12000KV w/Lipo
MR-02 Nissan R390 GT Lemans 39T PN
AMZ Benz TC 8500KV
X Power IDT Ultra 5600KV Audi
X Power IMT Ultra 6800KV M3
MB-010 FT86 Comic Racer 39T PN
MF-015 Mclaren MP4-25 50T w/Lipo PN
MR-01 Mugen NSX-GT 02 X Speed Retired
dNaNo FX-101MM T2 XANAVI NISMO GT-R

MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " A Place To Escape from Reality"! TD
214 State St. Suite 209
Hackensack, NJ 07601. 201-820-1347
LIVE Mini-Z RACING EVERY Fri at 7 PM.
Outdoor Saturday On Road Racing 1/8GTVE,1/10TC&USGT

DG DESIGNS

machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 07:22 AM   #19
Sammich

cant wait to get back this weekend

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 09:32 PM   #20
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
You can't say that buddy it's just the easiest to set up and drive on.
I agree.
Quote:
RCP is much more difficult to set up on but by far the fastest.
I agree, RCP is finicky.
Quote:
Anyone can put hard springs on the front end and Win, TQ, break lap records the first time they run car.
I disagree (you can do that because your an amazing driver)
Quote:
RCP you actually have to put some time on the track and work on the car
I agree, RCP very finicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
Carpet is fine for beginner. RCP Urethan is good for expert. In Japan 50% carpet circuit and 50% RCP Urethan circuit."
Beginner, Intermediate, expert...don't matter if you can set up a car and drive you will make any surface work. It's all about preference

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.18, 03:37 PM   #21
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Johnny, I do have to say that I agree with Philip after having some time on the carpet. Because a surface has higher traction doesn't necessarily make it better. The fact that is RCP is bumpy and inconsistent does make it harder to set up for, which IMO doesn't mean it is better. Actually I think it makes more sense to say the exact opposite. The other thing I don;t like about RCP is how you are held to certain types of corners, that are almost always the same distance apart (well some increment of 20" anyways). Ive been racing on RCP for about 7 years now, in a couple of different locations, but with pretty much the same space. I almost never see something new, which is why I built the elevations and such for our club. After 3-4 years racing on elevations, we've done pretty much everything we can do with those. With the carpet track, my lane width isn't set, my curve radius isn't set, and I could theoretically do a layout with no lanes perpendicular or parallel to each other. This freedom and variability will greatly enhance the racing enjoyment for our group. Also, on RCP there is the possibility of a bump every 20". I have two main seems and a couple of small ones on our new set up. The carpet is the same thickness at those seems, so there is repetitively no bump. It's nearly impossible to go 6' with our RCP without finding a joint with at least an 1/8" elevation change. That's over 2" at scale! These aren't rally cars

Either way, I think carpet or RCP is up to the gorup who is running. After a couple of short weeks, I think carpet is better, but I said the same thing 7 years ago when we went from carpet to RCP. The main differences from back then to now......I couldn't drive back then (not that I am that good now)....and we were using office carpet...not the real stuff.

On your tire question, I still haven't tried my old silicone carpet tires, as there hasn't been a need. The Kyosho tires and PN rubber tires are handling just as good as they did on RCP. I'm sure we will do more testing, but my RCP set ups seem to be nearly perfect for me on our new surface.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.22, 12:25 PM   #22
hrdrvr
MBMZR

A bit late, but here are some good construction pics of the track.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2013.01.22, 12:41 PM   #23
Daddy Rabbit

It is great and going to be a lot of fun.
Come race with us everyone.
"Don't back up, Don't back down....Full throttle, Wide open"
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.22, 12:44 PM   #24
hrdrvr
MBMZR

While I was letting the carpet settle, we made a couple of temporary layouts to try out the new surface.

RCP walls weren't holding good enough alone (not ready to start putting screw holes in my new carpet), so we put some 4x4s down to help hold them in place.

After running a bit on big lanes we decided to put down a tighter layout for the weekend. I set up a layout with two big straights, and very few parallel lanes to either of them. The flow of this layout was different than anything Ive ever driven on, and I just threw it together in short order.

Yesterday, I took that layout down, and taped the seems from the underside of the carpet. The seems are super smooth, and there is no need for tape on the top side of them any more.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2013.01.22, 03:12 PM   #25
ScoobyPete

Look fantastic wished I lived in Myrtle Beach.
ScoobyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.22, 03:14 PM   #26
Sammich

i'm amped, cant wait until tomorrow

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 07:58 AM   #27
hatley

Hi

Once again had a blast with the beach guys can't wait in till march to start the CC races still on the fench with the carpet track thanks to the Thompson family for making it happen
Old 2013.01.27, 11:44 AM   #28
BJH44

Quote:
I have to disagree on this with u. ive only been racing mini z's for little over a year, but since going to the carpet, I can look back on some of the stuff ive learned from working on full scale cars, be cause the carpet reacts like a real racing surface. u can get the car to break lose in corners tht u need it to, and make it stick in corners tht u want it to. ur able to attack the corners with out the worry of flipping and in no rele racing situation will u flip a car because u push ur car to hard in the corner, maybe spin it out, but not flip, so I think since we have went to the carpets, its become more like ur really racing. and we are able to run just about any motor on it because of tht. with the rcp ever square is a different about of traction. weather is more or less. and in full scale racing ur never gonna have tht. jmo
BJH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 12:50 PM   #29
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH44 View Post
I have to disagree on this with u. ive only been racing mini z's for little over a year, but since going to the carpet, I can look back on some of the stuff ive learned from working on full scale cars, be cause the carpet reacts like a real racing surface. u can get the car to break lose in corners tht u need it to, and make it stick in corners tht u want it to. ur able to attack the corners with out the worry of flipping and in no rele racing situation will u flip a car because u push ur car to hard in the corner, maybe spin it out, but not flip, so I think since we have went to the carpets, its become more like ur really racing. and we are able to run just about any motor on it because of tht. with the rcp ever square is a different about of traction. weather is more or less. and in full scale racing ur never gonna have tht. jmo
But you can't compare to full scale racing because of the scale speeds achieved with modified motors. If you had a real car that went proportionally as fast as a mini-z it would most likely flip, traction roll,and all the other bad characteristics of mini-z if you don't have it set up right. If you think about it a mini-z that goes 15 miles an hour is going +/- 400 scale miles. A mod class mini-z is probably going +/- 500 scale miles an hour. If a full size car were to go that fast into a corner like a mini-z on rcp it would most certainly flip. So therefore your argument of carpet being more scale and realistic is quite the opposite, carpet is unrealistic unless your mini-z is going 5 mph on carpet.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 03:13 PM   #30
BJH44

im saying it reacts more like a real car on the carpet....... not talking about the scale speed, I know if u scale the speed up tht its way up there. not talking about tht. im talking tht u can drive it like a real car....... had a event on it yesterday, and id say 9 out of 10 ppl liked it. and we had well over 10 so I think It was a good move for Lets Go racing. jmo
BJH44 is offline   Reply With Quote