Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.07.18, 02:02 AM   #1
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

Oil shocks and roll shocks

Dear All,

I'm new here and I hope I post this thread at the right place.

I have some questions about the oil shocks and the roll shocks.

I recently purchased a Mini-z Warsteiner Mercedes CLK. The attachment contains a picture of it sitting next to my 1:10 scale CLK. It's so tiny! And the Mini-z has got a awesome power to weight ratio too.

Firstly......From some of the threads that I've read on this forum, I learned that there is a friction shock and oil shock available for the rear, I'm just wondering how efficient are they.......I mean much they can take away that back end "hopping" during hard acceleration?

Secondly, are the roll shocks friction shocks or oil shocks?

Can any experts from this forum give me some info? Is there a thread somewhere that talk about this already?

Thanks

Skylineboy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big&smallclk.jpg (106.7 KB, 96 views)
Skylineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.18, 03:55 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Shocks

Skylineboy,

The roll shocks are availabe in (cheaper) friction or (expensive) oil shock configurations.
It depends on what you need. I dont run any of them.
If you use the roll-shock system, you shouldn't really require the third (centre) shock.
Some people use all three. I tried a roll (or side) shock system on my Mini-Z and it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
Now I use a plain, single friction shock on mine, combined with a decent Carbon-Fibre O-Plate instead of the H-Plate.

To prevent rear end hopping goes beyond shock absorber systems.
The following can help too:

Ball-Diff
Carbon Fibre H-Plate
Tire choice

What make is your 1/10 CLK?

The UberMod is back in town...
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.18, 04:29 AM   #3
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

Thankyou

Thanks for the info Mondo.

Good point about the tyre choice, the Mini-z always seems to struggle to put the power on the ground since there is so much wheel spin. I'm just guessing that the original tyres are either a hard or a medium compound. Something sticky with be good.... or a bit more weight on the back will be good too.

What brand of tyres should I purchase? Any good suggestions?

Another minor problem that I found.... did you put any grease on the front king pins and on the rear centre shock? The front suspension doesn't seems to move that smoothly on my mini CLK.

I have to give credit to Kyosho that the rear suspension works well! It is simple and efficient. The CLK never bounce off any corner dots at speed and the stock car handles better than some of my 1:10 scale race cars.

By the way, what exactly is a carbon fiber O plate?

Thanks again for the help, I'll pop down to the local hobby shop tomorrow to get the friction shocks that you've suggested.

Skylineboy

With regard to the 1:10 scale CLK, it is a Tamiya kit. The chassis is a TA-04S which comes with full ball bearings, turn buckle arms. The attachment contains another photo of it. It uses an LRP F1 forward/reverse speed control and a Orion 16 triple motor with 24 degree advanced timing. The local police using their radar gun clocked it doing 61km/h at side street....
Old 2002.07.18, 04:33 AM   #4
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

Oops... forgot the photo...

Sorry... left out the photo last thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tamiya_clk.jpg (120.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 2002.07.18, 04:49 AM   #5
The Thunderer

Re: Thankyou

Quote:
Originally posted by Skylineboy
Another minor problem that I found.... did you put any grease on the front king pins and on the rear centre shock? The front suspension doesn't seems to move that smoothly on my mini CLK.

By the way, what exactly is a carbon fiber O plate?
The idea of putting grease on the front kingpins and shocks has been brought up before... DON'T DO IT. I believe that what will happen is you'll attract more dirt than improve your suspension. Simply buy some stainless steel kingpins and springs (the shop here has them) and that should help you out.

The O-plates are available at the shop here too... I haven't tried them yet, but will sometime soon. Just trying to weigh which cars will get my attention... Micros or Z's (and I drove my DTM for the first time last night!!!).

Here's a link for them both!

Shop Suspension Link

-----
"Where there is lightning, there is The Thunderer."
The Thunderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.18, 10:09 AM   #6
mini-z
Administrator

Skylineboy, instead of greasing your kingpins which attracts dirt etc., you should upgrade them. The stock kingpins are not very smooth, and don't allow free travel. Upgrade kingpins are far smoother and allow the suspension to work properly. Welcome to the Forums btw!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.18, 12:33 PM   #7
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

Did I fitted the Eagle rear shock properly?

Thankyou to Thunderer and Mini-z for the advice.

People here are really nice! You guys reply so quickly!

I just been to hobby shop and came back with a rear friction shock made my the company "Eagle". There were no instructions that came with it, the attachment contains a photo of the chassis with the rear shock fitted.

Did I fit it on properly? What I did was I down loaded some photos of other people's chassis with the rear shocks fitted and I try my best to follow them... I hope I got it right. But the "vertical" part that is mounted on the motor case seems a bit loose... it is normal?

With regards to lubricating the king pins......You guys are the experts and I promise I won't grease any of the king pins. I'll get some stainless steel parts next week.

Thanks again.

Skylineboy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eagle_rear_shock.jpg (91.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 2002.07.18, 01:32 PM   #8
Mondo

Friction Shock

Skylineboy,

Firstly, your rear shock is A-OK! Installed correctly.

Regarding the "O-Plate"
The original O-Plate idea hailed from Ken Mifune

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attach...s=&postid=2513

Since then, other enterprising Members have created a DIY kit that allows you to manufacure an O-Plate.
This kit (With or without a Carbon-Fibre strip) is available from the Mini-ZRacer.com Shop

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=383

Alternatively, the carbon H-Plate could be a solution:

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=141

As for tires, I've heard nothing but good things about the Shimuzu, but I don't think they are available with a wider rear.
There are other brands of sticky tires with wide rears available.
Foams could be your choice! Remember, the softer they are, the quicket they'll wear down!

The aftermarket kingpins are a must and by far one of the best improvements for the front end.

Also look at a ball-diff and bearings
Once you feel you have the beast under control go for the Mini-ZRacer Ball-Bearing motor!

That Tamiya CLK is lovely by the way..

Old 2002.07.19, 02:49 AM   #9
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

OK... lots of stuff to get... need lots of money too!

Thanks again Mondo!

I've only have the car for 3 weeks... and I've learned so much about it already.... and I guess there is still plenty to learn!

With the friction shock fitted, the Mini-Z CLK now have less back end chatter during hard acceleration.

Now, there is so much fun in doing throttle steer around corners! Something that I can never do with my 1:10 scale cars. Mini-Zs are totally awesome!

This is just an educated guess, the carbon fiber rear H and O plate are stiffer then the original one installed on the Mini-Z isn't it? If my assumption is correct, the Mini-Z with a carbon fibre plate fitted will have less roll and more manoeuvrability. Am I right? Correct me if Iím wrong.

I've haven't got plans to go racing with the Mini-Z CLK yet (actually, I haven't found any clubs that race Mini-Z here in Melbourne), I'm still trying to "master the beast" as you've suggested. I'll ring up the hobby shop to see whether they have any Shimuzu tyres in stock. I'll order some stainless steel king pins as well.

Iíve never used foam tyres beforeÖ. not even in my 1:10 scale cars. What are they like?

Iíll buy the bearings as well as the ball diff later. My university second semester is about to start again, and I'll have to spent most of my money on books.

At the momentÖ is learning how to drive the car properly.

Just a minor problem that I've realized.... the Mini-Z steering trim seems to be a little bit "all over the place". What I mean by that is.... I'll have to make multiple adjustments on the steering trim to keep the car running straight. Is it normal for the Mini-Z to do that?

Thanks again Mondo.

Skylineboy

PS... have you got a picture of your car? What modifications you've done to it?

The attachment contains a photo of my Mini-z running on tiles. It's hard to capture a running Mini-Z with 2 hands while I'm trying to drive the car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clk_cornering.jpg (21.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 2002.07.19, 03:37 AM   #10
The Thunderer

Skylineboy:

You've touched on the BANE of the Mini-Z. The steering tends to be "all over the place" due to all the glitching that occurs. There are many mods to correct this on the board... I've tried a few. Some work for awhile, others don't do so well, but for some reason, the glitching returns. I'm still looking for a permanent solution, and will keep looking!!!

-----
"Where there is lightning, there is The Thunderer."
The Thunderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.19, 03:56 AM   #11
Mondo

Mini-Z's

Skylineboy,

A Mini-Z is a non-stop learning process.
They make great indoor devices and although I don't get use my Mini-Z's much, I do love them.

As requested here's a shakedown of my collection:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...=&threadid=731

Some pics of my resurected CLK:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...=&postid=25682
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...=&postid=21875

My other chassis with standard upright motor mount for the 206WRC bodyshell:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...s=&postid=7323

My new love affair: The Micro RS4

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/at...=&postid=27894

Sheesh, enough allready Mondo!

Old 2002.07.19, 10:18 AM   #12
Skylineboy
ZoomZoom

To Thunderer : From what youíve mentioned, I guess Iíll just have to get used to adjusting the steering trim. Thanks for letting me know, otherwise I would have gone back to the hobby shop and ask them to fix the problem!

To Mondo : Wow! So many nice cars! So many hop up parts! A HPI RS4 Micro as well! Gosh you are lucky!

I absolutely love that black Mercedes CLK with the wide offset rims. Did you just took off all the decals of the Warsteiner CLK and spayed it yourself?

As Iíve read on some threads on this forum, the stock RS4 Micro is slower than the Stock Mini-Z. It that true? The reason that I asked is thatÖ.. isnít the RS4 Micro operates a more powerful motor? I was thinking that extra power and torque would have compensated for the extra weight that the RS4 carries. Is the Micro good for handling?

In comparison with you, I havenít collected muchÖ the attachment contains all the RC models that I have currently. Looks like I need another Mini-Z in my collection. The CLK looks a bit lonely there! Actually, my dad was quite interested in buying one too, I guess Iíll have to start saving up for another Mini-Z.

Back on to the handling issue of the Mini-Z, I found that the front end of the stock Mini-Z is stiffer then the rear. My car tents to under steer a bit during high speed corners. I'll have to say Mini-Z is a relatively stable machine dispite it is so light. Any tips for setting up the car so that it can be driven smoothly? What type of springs should I use in the front and rear?

Evening after driving the mini-Z for 3 weeks, I still continued to be amazed by the rear beam axle of the Mini-Z. It soaks up small and large bumps nicely yet it is so simple!

Thanks for showing all of your cars!

Skylineboy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc_models.jpg (130.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 2002.07.19, 10:58 AM   #13
Mondo

Handling

Skylineboy,

I used slightly harder springs up front (Yellow)
Front end grip can be improved with tyres.
A softer tyre up front and slightly harder on the rear will improve things.
I found a little weight on the font also helps, so I replaced my standard front bulkhead with a slightly heavier alloy unit made by TopCAD.

Thanks for compliments, although your RC collection is quite impressive too.

Old 2002.07.19, 11:20 AM   #14
butler
Mini-Z Chief

Send a message via MSN to butler
Re: Handling

Quote:
Originally posted by Mondo
Front end grip can be improved with tyres.
Or wide wheels, like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00808.jpg (146.2 KB, 59 views)

Haynes Manual: Lightly...
Reality: Start off lightly and build up till the veins on your forehead are throbbing then re-check the manual because this can not be 'lightly' what you are doing now.
butler is offline   Reply With Quote