Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.10.01, 12:37 PM   #1
bobbyz

Flipside& I-lap scan issue

i'm having some issues getting the UID to show up after scanning Ilap transponders. I still don't know for sure if it's a software or hardware issue. I've installed v0.75 on two computers (Win XP) and got the same results so far. The COM is set correct, and I've read thru both manuals several times, but still can't figure out why it's not scanning in transponders. Heres some questions that I hope will help pinpoint the solution:

After scanning the transponder does the software automatically generate the 7-digit UID in the far left field, or does the user key in the UID and scanning verifys a correct UID?

Is v0.75 compatable with both 1st and 2nd gen. ilap transponders? (Not sure which version I have yet as I bought the system used from a club that disbanded)

Are there any other settings in the Device manager that may need to be changed in order for the software & hardware to communicate with each other? (So far I've just needed to changed the COM port assignment, and when I do change it Flipside does give me a new/correct COM# that wasn't availabe before. I know from this that the software is able to recognize info from my PC changing.

Lastly, is there a very specific method for scanning a ilap transponder? (I've tried every method i can think of: scan with no name, scan with name only, enter in all new racer fields then scan last, key in 7digit# manually then scan, scan with car under bridge for the whole scan, zip car bridge slowly and quickly while scanning> all no bananas)

Any help will be much appreciated. BTW I greatly like the interface and set up fields of your software compared to others I looked at. I can't wait to get it going.

Thanks, Bob
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.01, 04:06 PM   #2
pinwc4

Flip Side Racing software does work with the I-Lap latest hardware and the 7 digit ID's. All that should be necessary for configuring the software is selecting the correct COM port. When setting up new racers you click Create New Racer and then the Scan button and drive a car under the bridge. If everything is working correctly the 7 digit UID will be automatically entered in the field on the left.

The software does not work with the 1st generation I-Lap lap counting hardware. Also if you have the 1st generation lap counter it does not work with the newer transponders with the 7 digit UID's. The 1st gen I-lap system only worked with transponders numbered 1-10. I think if your lap counter is a USB based system you have the newer generation lap counter.

If your lap counter has a Serial plug instead of USB (or a Serial plug with a USB adapter) then you have the 1st generation lap counter and it will not work with Flip Side and it also will not work with the newer transponders from I-Lap.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.01, 06:11 PM   #3
bobbyz

Thanks, good info to have.

I was able to get in touch with I-lap and get a firmware update, and can now get the transponders UID to show when scanning.

The remaining issue i'm still having is the auto selection of racers i've created showing up on the RaceScreen before I click on 'start'. Driving a car under the bridge should automatically add a racer, correct? So far i've only been able to automatically add a racer after starting a freeplay profile, but then it wouldn't count laptimes as i continued to pass under the bridge on each lap.

Just want to verify: adding racers to a lap or timed style race should happen at the RaceScreen before the StartRace button is clicked?

The feature I don't quite understand yet is why there is a 'start race' button on both the RaceConfig screen as well as the RaceScreen. I don't see how racers can be added to a race if you use the 'start race' button from the RaceConfig screen.

Any more info is much appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

I really have read through everything thoroughly, hopefully it's just something minor i'm not aware of.
Old 2011.10.02, 09:29 AM   #4
pinwc4

Glad to hear you got the transponders being detected. I would not have guessed a firmware update was necessary.

Racers do not get added to the race screen before you start a race. They only show up on that screen after a race is started and that racer has been detected. You do not need to do anything before you start the race. Racers are automatically added to the race when they are detected during a running race.

So if you have racer1 defined and go to the race screen and click start the software will countdown and have a start horn. After that start horn when racer1 crosses under the bridge they will be detected and added to the race. If they cross under the bridge before the start horn that is not counted and they are not yet added to the race.

The start button the Race Config screen is just for convenience. It is the same as the start button on the Race Screen other than the fact that if you click it on the Race Config screen it will switch you to the Race screen and start the race.
Old 2011.10.02, 08:32 PM   #5
bobbyz

okay, this is starting to make more sense to me. I also did some reading thru the Flipside thread, and saw that there used to be a function to manually add racers which has been removed on more currect versions.

A few questions i'm not sure of currectly:

Does the current race info show up as the race is progressing on the RaceScreen, or on the LiveGraphing Screen during a race. (so far I haven't been able to see laps being counted or timed as cars pass under the bridge. I've just set up three simple race profiles so far: a freeplay profile, a three lap race, and a 2minute timed race.)

Once the current race ends, and the same race profile is started from the RaceScreen, will the racers be autodetected again the first time they pass under the bridge after the horn, or do you have to go back out to the RaceConfig and start the race from there to get the racers to autodetect?

Thanks again for your help getting familiar with Flipside. Its a great program, and I'll be sure to post some feedback once I get more familiar with it.

Thx, Bob
Old 2011.10.03, 08:01 PM   #6
pinwc4

The best source of documentation for the software is the manual. I have written about 30 pages of documentation for the program. In the program you can get to the manual by clicking one of the buttons on the Main screen. Or you can get a pdf version of the manual from the website. Here is the link to it:

http://www.flipsideracing.org/svn/tr...ngsoftware.pdf

To answer your questions though, yes the current race information does show up on the Race Screen. During the race this screen will constantly update as the race progresses.

After a race has completed when you click the Start Race button it will clear all the existing race data off the screen and start a new race. The automatic detection will occur once again after the countdown for the start of the race.

The only reason you would go back to the Race Config. Screen is to change the race type.
Old 2012.02.13, 12:19 AM   #7
xtremekarting

Hey,

I know this post is bringing the dead from the past.

I got the latest Ilap system and i have done everything but as the first person said but i also can NOT manage to scan my transponders at all.

Followed all the STEP by STEP info (checked com port etc) but when i press scan, nothing just happens.

Got 12 units and been 3 weeks of trying flipside, ilap, and the other softwarebut all just cant to "LINK" the transponders to the software.

Please help.

REgards
xtremekarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.13, 11:43 AM   #8
I-Lap

Call me.

Craig
I-Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.14, 04:57 PM   #9
bobbyz

Saw this thread pop up again, and wanted to follow up. Craig and Jeremy were great to work with, and with some emails and phone calls they were able to get the Ilap timing system working great with the Flipside software. My particular issue was fixed with a repair to the decoder. I am extremely happy I chose the Ilap/Flipside system, and even though I bought a used system from a third party that had an issue to fixed, Craigs help and expertise was second to none. Craig and Jeremy were both great to work with and I have nothing but posative things to say about their inventive products and support.
Old 2012.02.15, 10:10 AM   #10
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremekarting View Post
Hey,

I know this post is bringing the dead from the past.

I got the latest Ilap system and i have done everything but as the first person said but i also can NOT manage to scan my transponders at all.

Followed all the STEP by STEP info (checked com port etc) but when i press scan, nothing just happens.

Got 12 units and been 3 weeks of trying flipside, ilap, and the other softwarebut all just cant to "LINK" the transponders to the software.

Please help.

REgards
From the software side there is very little configuration. Set the hardware type to I-Lap and select the correct COM port (usually the last in the list). After that you can go to Edit Racers, click Create New Racer, click scan and then pass a transponder under the bridge.

Give Craig a call at I-Lap he provides excellent support.
Old 2016.07.27, 02:30 PM   #11
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
Saw this thread pop up again, and wanted to follow up. Craig and Jeremy were great to work with, and with some emails and phone calls they were able to get the Ilap timing system working great with the Flipside software. My particular issue was fixed with a repair to the decoder. I am extremely happy I chose the Ilap/Flipside system, and even though I bought a used system from a third party that had an issue to fixed, Craigs help and expertise was second to none. Craig and Jeremy were both great to work with and I have nothing but posative things to say about their inventive products and support.
care to share your configuration steps? i hope to get this re-installed trackside shortly and hoping someone who has already figured it out can lay the steps out to follow.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.07.27, 05:52 PM   #12
bobbyz

arch,

It was a few years back when I set this up on an old XP laptop.(before two kids, when free time seemed unlimited At first I thought I must have been doing something wrong, but needed to get a firmware update, and then had to send my decoder to Craig at Ilap for a repair.

Once these two issues were ironed out, it was pretty much making sure the COM port was set correctly, and Ilap was selected from the hardware list. After that it was just some trial and error learning how to create each "Race" profile, as well as setting up each "Racer". I also read and reread the Ilap and Flipside documentation several times.

I'm still running an older Flipside Version, but it works fine for practice runs, and occasional 2-3 car races on my Mini96. I was hoping a new version with Race Management component would come out, but I haven't seen it come out yet.

All that to say, it took me a couple weeks to get things sorted out/fixed/updated, but just kept forging ahead. Just let me know, and I'll help out as best I can.