Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.02.10, 09:17 PM   #1
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Quick info on 3racing Ball Diffs plz?

Namely, 3Racing Version 3 Ball Differential for AWD (AWD-26/V3) and 3Racing Ball Diff for Mini-Z MR-02/MR-015 (MZII-003).

How are these compared for Atomic, PN, Kyosho? Keeping in mind I'm a relative noob, I'm leaning towards something cheap to try out first vs tanking $50 per kyosho diff for the quality difference unknown to someone like myself. So could someone experienced please break down the differences, advantages, etc for me?

I kind of want to start racing my AWD and 35$ for a diff set is something I can do vs $100 as of right now. Same with my MR, 16$ diff sounds better than $50.
Old 2009.02.10, 09:55 PM   #2
MantisMMA
tire schredder

they are decent although the stock spur gear sux, replace it with a pn one. and if your on a budget just use the stock gear dif in front but pack it with 15,000 wt grease. been using this setup for 2 hard months and it works perfect!
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.10, 10:40 PM   #3
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
http://www.reflexracing.net/products.asp?cat=16
Out of the 2(well 1 in stock) ball diff spur gears, which # of teeth is better and would this gear work with 3racing diff at all? Same question for MR diff and spur gears. Thanks!
Old 2009.02.10, 11:32 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I would personally go with the Atomic diff for the MR. The end result is worth the extra $. The Atomic diff comes with a ti shaft, and the pressure plates have a D cutout in the center to keep them from slipping against the plate holders. You can also get some ceramic balls, which increase the consistancy and reliability of the diff. I prefer this setup over the PN ceramic diff, since it costs about the same amount of $, but you get a ti shaft.
Old 2009.02.10, 11:51 PM   #5
Skv012a

But 3racing MA diffs with atomic gear will be fine? Main reason I'm asking is because I want to consider making MA Lancer my Street Supremacy project and shift my MR to Battle Machine, but with stock diffs locked I need either new gear or ball diffs to race.

Also a dumb question, but the 9$ 3racing alum knuckles(camber or not, doesn't really matter yet) are a pair or just a single one?

Lastly, out of PN AWD spring sets, should I get the II or III set? What are the differences if any?
Old 2009.02.10, 11:57 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

I havent used the newest 3Racing AWD diff. I dont have any AWDs at this time, and am focusing only on 2wd.

The 3Racing AWD knuckles come in pairs.

PN AWD set II and III have different spring rates from eachother. One set fits between the rates that the other set has. I would recommend buying both sets if you choose to use them. You will have a lot more choices in spring rates. Since I do not have any AWDs at this time, you may want to wait and hear what people use in their AWDs.
Old 2009.02.11, 12:24 AM   #7
Skv012a

I'll go ahead and order. I'd prolly get these parts eventually anyway.

I see one potentially good set here- PN/3racing? MR spring cups for low down AND awd spring options. If I'll combine the types of springs I use for both cars, it'll be much better in terms of keeping track of them.

I figured 1 degree camber will help even out the tire wear/increase the grip area of the tires and remain rather neutral otherwise. Mostly wanted these for durability and smooth up/down travel.

As long as these diffs hold up my newbie abuse, i'll be pretty happy for a while.
Old 2009.02.11, 12:32 AM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

You may be very disappointed with the 3Racing MR diff. It needs quite a bit of work to match the Atomic or PN diffs, let alone the Kyosho. In the end, all diffs can be similar in performance, and cost about the same to get them there. Some just take more work to get there. the 3Racing, is hard to use out of the package, and needs a lot of love to get to a good performing diff.
Old 2009.02.11, 07:56 AM   #9
Skv012a

Same with their AWD ball diffs or not as much? I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that I'll be getting the AWD diffs for now, since I'm more pressed about getting my AWD seriously racing on entry level than my ready-to-race MR.
Old 2009.02.11, 08:24 AM   #10
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ I would get an ATM TAR or composite diff for the rear of your AWD and leave the stock gear diff up front. I run this way on all of my AWDs (stock and mod), and it provides plenty of tuning and a very balanced ride once I get the rear diff set right.

I havent tried the 3r AWD diffs, but there are folks tlaking good about them. I would reccomend changing the spur out for a Kyo spur. Its usually reccomended to do that for the ATM gear too though, as you cant get better than the Kyo to Kyo mesh.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.11, 09:47 AM   #11
Skv012a

What about getting 3R smaller gears vs a spur? Either way, I'll just have to see how these Ver.3 diffs work.
Old 2009.02.11, 10:21 AM   #12
acerpower

i just bought a 3racing ver.3 ball diff and it feels pretty smooth after some minor work. i haven't gotten to really try it yet because i'm waiting for other parts. the only thing i'm not crazy about so far is my diff was missing the the set screw on the nut.
acerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.11, 12:10 PM   #13
Skv012a

While we're here, what kind of love would this diff require to make it "good?" Is it the basic sand all parts, lube the balls, etc?
Old 2009.02.11, 01:29 PM   #14
rc_bam226

When I had a MR-02 with the 3R diff, a little TLC, sanding the rings, lubing and/or replacing the diff balls, and just overall removal of the assembly gunk they use to mass produce them.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote