Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.04.10, 03:49 AM   #16
herman

Quote:
Great write up I waited until you were done with your 14 posts to reply. I am downloading the Bmain video now, at 20kps so I should be able to watch it in about 30-40 minutes, then I can download the Amain.
by emu
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.10, 03:52 AM   #17
herman

thanks for the comments...

Quote:
I am downloading the Bmain video now
oh no... you will all see what a lousy driver i really am....
i suggest that you go straight to a main... these guys are really good... as i mentioned, it's hard to believe that they're running stock!!!
Old 2006.04.10, 03:53 AM   #18
herman

reply by emu

Quote:
Do they show when you click the links? It may need a little time for them to become available... I have never used the yahoo photo albums, perhaps one needs to login to see them

I just finished watching the B video, A video is 90% DL'd. Your driving is better than you claim, while it looks a little rusty, you look like you would be good competition with some practice.

I hope you can get those pictures up, I am anxious to see them. Do not rush to do it, I am going to go to sleep soon (2:45am).

I just finished watching the A main. For the most part they are clean drivers, I noticed a few traction rolling occasionally... I also noticed that they do not tape the bodies down to prevent them from coming off during a race. This is something I learned the hard way. I use masking tape, so that in the event that I need to remove the body to access the chassis I can do so easily by ripping the tape, however, then it is no longer taped down.

It was nice to see that one car did not fully dominate the race. They were all around the same speed. Where we race, speed will differ from car to car with the same type of motor (Speedy 05BB or X-Speed). Some racers get accused of using FETs, while they are not because they were lucky with their motor and the car is noticably faster than all the other cars.

It is great to see how other countries hold their races, I truely enjoyed those videos. Thanks again for another trip and bringing us along with you
Old 2006.04.10, 03:55 AM   #19
herman

hmm... kinda frustrated that i can't bring you guys the whole package experience without the pics, so to speak...

you're right about being super clean drivers respecting each others lines... i did notice however that there was one guy who actually taped his body to the chasis...

i felt that fet upgrades are shunned upon at that track and probably elsewhere in japan... i asked fumio san about fets, and he kinda snickered, shaked his head and said no no... not allowed...

as i mentioned, i feel that keeping it stock, keeps everything generally fair and in check (not to mention cheaper for everybody)...

a couple of guys there had some 3-5 stock motors on their pit tables to choose from... i really guess that not all stock motors are created equal...
Old 2006.04.10, 03:56 AM   #20
herman

reply by emu

Quote:
I dont think that any motor is equal to another unless it has been tested and tweaked, however that would become too expensive.

I like either a tight spec class with stock motor (since it is cheap and easily available), or an open class using stock FETs and a seperate modified class (upgraded FETs). When you have an inbetween ground, it creates more of a gap between the racers. While some racers may favor higher speed, their handling will be inhibited due to the increase of speed. While other racers may favor better handling with a smoother motor that will give them more carry speed.

I tend to favor an open stock class allowing any upgrades besides FETs. However, some people I race with would like stock and modified class to be combined. As generally they output the same amount of laps since a stock racer is more consistant. I tend not to like that idea, since if the track is not very technical, a modified car can fly past other cars on the straights, and just cruise through the infield at the same speed as a stock car. So if you have a good driver in a modified car, only a modified car would be able to keep up. Although in a very technical track, the modified car would be at a disadvantage since it will be giving up alot of the throttle control that a stock car has due to the limited punch.

These little cars, so much to think about...
Old 2006.04.10, 04:00 AM   #21
herman

Quote:
These little cars, so much to think about...
lol... right you are... good points being thrown out there...
Old 2006.04.10, 08:57 AM   #22
briankstan

the pics work fine for me...

great write up. Both here and in about the Kyosho Store... great pics and descriptions. sounds like you had lots of fun.
Old 2006.04.10, 12:24 PM   #23
SaiTam
Are you Fetted?

The guys were probably using AD band cars and that's why their stock motor equipped cars were fast.

Did you have a translator when you were there?
SaiTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.10, 01:20 PM   #24
Fish

Send a message via MSN to Fish
Thumbs down

Excellent writeup as always, herman. Pleasure to read .

d/ling videos now to watch.

miniRC ca
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.10, 07:49 PM   #25
herman

Quote:
The guys were probably using AD band cars and that's why their stock motor equipped cars were fast.
that's the surprising thing... everybody is using am... (to my knowledge) i can ask fumio san... hmmm...which leads me to the following question... can the ko lap counting system pick up ad band and am band at the same time while running together?

anyway, compared to say h.k. - during my last trip there... it seems like nobody is using am anymore... everybody is into ad... like go figure...

hmm... maybe that's why the awd had an advantage over the mr015 in class a... the awd use the same fets used in the ad band esc...

Last edited by herman; 2006.04.10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 2006.04.10, 09:11 PM   #26
herman

Quote:
Did you have a translator when you were there?
nope... too cheap to hire one... just asked around at the place we stayed... also the people around the area... getting around tokyo isn't as difficult as we thought... we were lucky to pick this up at a station... it's a definite must if you wan't to go around...

http://www.tokyometro.jp/e/tmguide/index.html

or visit http://www.tokyometro.jp/e/ for more info...

Last edited by herman; 2006.04.10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2006.04.10, 09:36 PM   #27
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Thumbs down

Another excellent article!!

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.04.12, 05:41 PM   #28
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Herman,

Great report, I would love to visit that track too. You guys can check out this link that has ARS races and reports every week or so.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/nakker/ - left icon Mini-Z

I follow this site very often.
Old 2006.04.13, 08:10 PM   #29
herman

thanks for all your comments...
Old 2007.10.20, 03:30 PM   #30
SaiTam
Are you Fetted?

Hi everybody.

I am currently in Tokyo and have two of my Mini-zs with me.

I will check out ARS today since it is near where I stay. When I was at SUper Radi Con hobby shop they have the flyers for two new tracks. One was narrow (not interested) and the other is large but not close to me.

I did the the Super GT Time attack challege in Kyosho shop. It was a waste of my money and time with their rental. I think I had a good chance of winning if I had my cars with me while I was there. The winner gets a ticket to see the GT Race in Fuji Speedway which even if I win I cannot go anyway.

More reports later.
SaiTam is offline   Reply With Quote