Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.11.23, 03:52 PM   #1
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
Question Firelap 2.0 Steering Issue

So, I just got another firelap and for the first time I got a bad one... it would cost be more to ship it back to TE than to fix it I think.

The steering is stepped BADLY.. I have like 5-7 steps left and right and that is it. Also, when turning right it doesn't recenter all the way, I can hear the motor groaning but it just doesn't recenter. This car isn't any good to anyone as long as it is like this.

What I need to know is if this is a steering servo only problem and if it is how much would it be to replace the steering servo with somthing better so the car is drivable.

Thanks in advance
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.23, 07:42 PM   #2
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Only four looks at this thread? Someone has to have replaced a steering servo before...
Old 2005.11.23, 07:55 PM   #3
Shaun
000-00-0001

I'm running a Firelap 2.0. But when I first started running it, I noticed that the steering was kinda loud. Sorta like a gear grinding sound. Also the steering wasn't smooth. I examined the servo gears and noticed it was hard to turn the gears. These gears should turn freely. The servo motor gear wasn't meshing correctly. It was way too tight. I adjusted the servo motor and everything was nice and smooth. And no loud noise from the gears.

Not sure if this is the same problem you're having but I thought I would share my experience.
Check the servo assembly for any binding gears.

Good Luck!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.23, 10:00 PM   #4
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Thanks for the tip... I will try looking at the problem myself before replacing the servo. It sure would be a lot cheaper
Old 2005.11.24, 02:47 AM   #5
Hypocrisy

sounds like you have to change the steering position sensor, its the littre round black thing. some people at my club had just that problem with their iwavers, just change it and your problem is solved. i had to change mine after 4000+ laps on the track. i bought mine from rc mart .com 2sensors for $16. its never wrong to have a spare one in your toolbox
Hypocrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.24, 06:06 AM   #6
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Sounds like they found out how to get rid of all the old LXX PCBs they had laying around. Wonderful that areseemart site... charing 16$ for 2, $1.00 parts.

Last edited by Draconious; 2005.11.24 at 06:09 AM.
Draconious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.24, 08:01 AM   #7
jaeneke
miniZ teletubbie

mmm i'm a proud owner of 1 iwaver02 and a firelap02 and they both do wel @ everything...(especially steering)

but i used one for spare parts and i noticed that sinds i use a alloy servo saver(gpm, because the stock ones are as good as trash) the saver binds on the inside of the chassis.

just go over it with a dremel and its fixed
jaeneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.24, 08:09 AM   #8
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

I just pulled apart my car and there was some problem meshing the gears when turning to the right... i'm trying to fix it right now, have removed pieces of plastic (idiots) that were between the teeth ... the motor is strong enough I think ... the pot seems to be accurate, it knows when it is offcenter even by the slightest amount but i'm pissed at how frickin small and crappy the wires are on that damn thing, I barely touched it and a wire fell off... off to go fix the wires and put it back together for a test run...

btw, anyone find that the gears are too slack... I mean, they slide on their axis back and forth about 2mm... any suggestions for that?

Thanks
Old 2005.11.24, 08:35 AM   #9
Draconious

yea.. use kyosho gears
Old 2005.11.24, 09:34 AM   #10
Shaun
000-00-0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
I just pulled apart my car and there was some problem meshing the gears when turning to the right... i'm trying to fix it right now, have removed pieces of plastic (idiots) that were between the teeth ... the motor is strong enough I think ... the pot seems to be accurate, it knows when it is offcenter even by the slightest amount but i'm pissed at how frickin small and crappy the wires are on that damn thing, I barely touched it and a wire fell off... off to go fix the wires and put it back together for a test run...

btw, anyone find that the gears are too slack... I mean, they slide on their axis back and forth about 2mm... any suggestions for that?

Thanks
I hate removing the PCB. Almost always have one of those thin wires bend and break away from the board. As far as having slack in the gears, all my cars have some play in the gears. I've even used alloy gears. Since their the same size as plastic gears you still have the same amount of play. You could add some small spacers to keep the gears from sliding. Just don't make them too tight or they will bind up.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.24, 12:40 PM   #11
machine
learning the hard way

Of all the units i've got I've seen this with 1. I opened the top cover and checked the servo gears little bits of plastic found, blew them out and it's happy again. You can also check the pinion on the servo motor, it may be to far into the gears. You should have some play in the gears not alot but enough so that they move freely. As long as the gear teeth remain in contact the back and forth movement shouldn't be an issue.

Just to check i open a new Kyosho up last night (and a wire came off the board...) and it has the same amount of back and forth as the firelap. I also picked out a tiny piece of plastic debris from the servo case.

As a rule, be it Kyosho/Firelap i always desolder the wires fromthe board when ever i open it up.
Old 2005.11.24, 12:50 PM   #12
Draconious

Once they break, I usualy replace them with winding-wire.. magnet-wire... type in motors... works great never breaks
Old 2005.11.24, 12:56 PM   #13
Shaun
000-00-0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
Once they break, I usualy replace them with winding-wire.. magnet-wire... type in motors... works great never breaks
How do you insulate the bare wire?
Old 2005.11.24, 02:03 PM   #14
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

I opened it up but it gets too tight when I put it back together... I will have to check the pinion on the motor. Thanks for that advice.
Old 2005.11.28, 08:12 PM   #15
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

So i've had this firelap for a while now and I still can't get anywhere with this problem. I was talking to a friend who is a mechanical engineer, he knows nothing of the cars but I just shove it in the face of anyone at the house. I am going to try some sewing machine oil on the servogears ... I can't believe I have not fixed this yet... annoying. I could just throw it to the side but I can't enjoy any of my cars now that I have that broken one on my mind...