Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.07.05, 10:36 AM   #16
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2miniz View Post
the body to use is.............

the BATMOBILE!

how badass would that be ripping around the track!
with or without the machine guns......
I have the Batmobile too....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.05, 07:04 PM   #17
bermbuster
GF Racing

I made my decision.....
I picked up my box stock mr-03. it is going to stay in the box until the race....

unless the rules change the only hop ups are bearings (no ceramics)
and the yellow top shock (mzw207)

I believe we will have a gentlemans agreement and run "box stock" even though the rules will allow the 2 hop ups.....I will have the hop ups on hand....just in case......(i really dont want to use them!!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxstock.jpg (307.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 2011.07.05, 07:18 PM   #18
greenepa76

I might as well get a car ready too. I'm not sure if I'm doing the box stock or not yet. Thank you for setting an example Bermbuster! I'll have my "upgrade" parts on hand also should it be necessary, but I'll run as stock as possible. The gear diff doesn't do too bad there if you can tune it right.
greenepa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.05, 07:26 PM   #19
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I am curious whether spring changes will be permitted in the box stock class?

In general, I would think that an MM body would be better, but RM may not be too poor depending on layout.

I personally would go with an LM, since it comes with a DDS For a tight track, it may be limiting, but tire choice may be more limiting since you must use the kit wheels according to the rules.
Old 2011.07.05, 08:04 PM   #20
blt456

Mr03 chassis set with a lexus sc430!
Old 2011.07.05, 08:31 PM   #21
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Mr03 chassis set with a lexus sc430!
out of the box it is a rm....a plastic one at that.....
Old 2011.07.05, 08:44 PM   #22
blt456

The rules say the chassis can be in any config, so a mm sc430 should be ok
I guess people would have to polish their front suspensions but that sounds like a fun class!
Old 2011.07.05, 10:06 PM   #23
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I am curious whether spring changes will be permitted in the box stock class?

In general, I would think that an MM body would be better, but RM may not be too poor depending on layout.

I personally would go with an LM, since it comes with a DDS For a tight track, it may be limiting, but tire choice may be more limiting since you must use the kit wheels according to the rules.
As per gentlemen's agreement, they're going NO dampers allowed except the stock black plastic pieces that come with the base-trim MR02/MR03.

For a Box Stock race RM wouldn't lose out at all I think, since the motor's so weak you might as well aim to be the smallest and lightest car on the field without having too little weight over the rear end (looking at you, McLarens!). If I were to actually care about winning, you can bet I'd be picking the Maker's FD3S or the F355 Challenge.

In any case, I think we're putting too much thought into this. Base-trim MR02/MR03, pick a body shape you aesthetically like, put it down on the track! Making this too competitive is just asking for trouble.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2011.07.05 at 10:24 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 04:51 AM   #24
herman

wondering what is your take on modifying the box stock parts...
i.e. polishing the stock kingpins in the 02 and 03... or packing the gear diff with some kind of grease to improve handling... or like even breaking in the stock motor...

strictly speaking it is still box stock... with some kind of enhancements...

would really love to see a vid of this class...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 07:57 AM   #25
color01

Mm... 02 needs polishing, 03 not really. I fell in love with the 03 at first because out of the box it's already so smooth -- slap on a disk damper and the right motor/gearing and it's almost competitive for normal "Stock" class.

As for grease, I used to for drifting but not for racing -- I set my ball diffs to as loose as I can get away with, why would I tighten up a gear diff that's freer by nature? The on-power gear-tooth leverage provides enough LSD effect as is to keep the car from diffing out, so long as you're not actually lifting the inside rear wheel.

I still don't break in my motors, haha... fine by me and the gentlemen's agreement going on, should I race Box Stock.

I would seriously just run the 03, Box Stock with a 9t pinion and a mildly shimmed front end (only using the shims in the RTR package!) and be satisfied with it.

Greyscale RC

Last edited by color01; 2011.07.11 at 08:00 AM.
Old 2011.07.11, 12:07 PM   #26
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
imo the 02ex will be the better car.... it has a more compliant front end as far as the front end polished king pins will not be permitted... but kingpin oil is allowed!
the problem i see with the 03 is that it has far to stiff front springs.... and spring changes are not allowed!
alex m got a brand new 02ex yesterday changed the pinion/tires/bearings and was as fast if not faster than the gt stk cars!

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 12:48 PM   #27
greenepa76

I agree.....as I ran both of these cars! Big fat Nissan GTR MR02 vs. Narrow featherweight Ferrari 355 MR03 and the fat Nissan still out cornered the little Ferrari, which accelerated quickly, but squirrely through the turns. Little bumps didn't affect the Nissan either, but then again, the 02 is heavier.
greenepa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.13, 03:03 AM   #28
herman

kinda liking the discussion... as to what chassis / body combo everybody will use...
anybody daring enough to run the short wheel based cars - lancia stratos? or probably a porsche 934? or any high mount chassis with high mount bodies? wonder how they will do in this type of race...
Old 2011.07.13, 03:10 AM   #29
herman

just curious...
maybe you guys can make a list as to what body chassis you are going to race in this class?
format (driver) (chassis - mr02/mr03) (body)

took the liberty of putting berms ride since it looks like he already got his...
(feel free to cut and paste)

1 bermbuster - mr03 - mclaren

Last edited by herman; 2011.07.13 at 03:13 AM.
Old 2011.07.13, 04:16 AM   #30
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
kinda liking the discussion... as to what chassis / body combo everybody will use...
anybody daring enough to run the short wheel based cars - lancia stratos? or probably a porsche 934? or any high mount chassis with high mount bodies? wonder how they will do in this type of race...
I can't find any Strati for sale anymore! Otherwise this would be my go-to body just to have some fun!

Sadly I still can't make the July 30th but if there are any more of these in the future...

1 bermbuster - MR03 - McLaren F1 (short tail)
2 color0 - MR03 - FD3S

Greyscale RC