Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.01.13, 12:38 PM   #1
madmart
Mini-Z Novice

Talking My 12'x6' Track

If you're like me, you bought a Mini-Z because you thought it would be cool to have something small enough to race in your house... then you found out how fast they are! :-)

Determined not to let this be a factor, I undertook the task of creating a relatively small (12'x6') track that can be assembled on my dining table in a couple of minutes. The result was better than I'd expected and I thought I'd share some details for the amusement of others.

http://www.knifeedgetech.com/fun/minitrack/

Cheers,
Martin.
madmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.13, 12:54 PM   #2
cc2096
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to cc2096
Nice track madmart!! Looks like pure craftsmanship. Have fun on it, and thanks for putting up the directions on making one, I think I may just have to do that.

First Mini-Z: Warsteiner Mercedes

Current Hop ups: None.... yet
cc2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.13, 01:21 PM   #3
emil
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to emil
track material

you mentioned foam, like neoprene rubber. how's this work? do you suggest something else? i have a huge roll of indoor/outdoor carpet with a tacky, black rubberized backing.

hmmmmmmm.

good plan though. this is a good model for improvements, although this may work perfectly well for you.
Old 2003.01.13, 01:25 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
off topic

madmart
the track looks well made. very cleanly done. it does look rahter narrow.

emil
any luck with the attic space track?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.01.13, 01:29 PM   #5
emil
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to emil
not really

monday's suck, and i have to find a way to get my overland. if not that, an f1 will be first and i'll have to wait on the cool trucks.

boss isn't around today, but i think it would be okay. i'm thinking weekend evenings. other than permission, all we'd need is time and materials. i have the time and inclination, but no materials at present to even test things out. i don't even have a car yet! but yes, i plan within the next 2 weeks to have a go at something. we'll stay in contact via email.
Old 2003.01.13, 02:45 PM   #6
madmart
Mini-Z Novice

Re: track material

Quote:
Originally posted by emil
you mentioned foam, like neoprene rubber. how's this work? do you suggest something else? i have a huge roll of indoor/outdoor carpet with a tacky, black rubberized backing.

hmmmmmmm.

good plan though. this is a good model for improvements, although this may work perfectly well for you.

The foam I used for the track is exactly like neoprene, only much cheaper. Neoprene was in my original plan until I realized it was going to cost me $100s to finish the track. Eventually I found a cheaper substitute on eBay and it works great. Prior to this, I was racing on some indoor/outdoor carpet in my garage, but the traction wasn't that great. On the other hand, I never tried turning it over and using the rubber backing!

Given enough room, I'd have gone for wider lanes, but with the length of the straights I have, 12" is more than enough. The traction on this material is so great that the car doesn't stray onto any part of the track unless you drive it there, so precision passing is just a matter of practice. Don't get me wrong, I like to powerslide as much as anyone else, but I'll have to save that for larger venues!

By the way, a fringe benefit I wasn't expecting is that I have no need for expensive sticky tires or hop-ups to get the rush of feeling like I'm going as fast as I dare. On the other hand, some of those hop-ups look cool, so I'm still trying to decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. :-)

Cheers,
Martin.
madmart is offline   Reply With Quote