Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.03.14, 04:19 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Advan Godzilla GT3 Jomurema GT01

Advan Godzilla GT3 Jomurema GT01

Materials:
Used Jomurema GT01 autoscale
Krylon Fusion Gloss Black
Krylon Fusion Satin White
Future Floor Polish
Pattos Nissan GTR GT3 Godzilla No 09 Spanish GT 2015 decals, 1/27 scale, clear vinyl in customized to remove background colors

Made some new friends at a DE Murdertown Mini-Z race and they liked my customized GT01's I made and asked for a custom GT01, shortened to 94mm. I've done a couple 90mm GT01's and intrigued at trying my hand at 94mm.
First mistake was thinking less section cut = easier. Less section cut in fact made it harder as I had less room for error and in some cases, no margin at all. I made better use of the plastic shavings and Plastruct plastic weld to make a plastic putty this time and little less fussy with the 2 part epoxy plastic bond. The cut turned out spot on, nearly perfect alignment on both sides, much closer tolerance than the last one thanks to learning from prior cuts.
The GT01 was already painted when it was given to me however that was butchered when I sectioned the car so decided to go all out and breack it down for complete respray. I had bought the Godzilla decals some time ago however had not found the inspiration yet to use them and with my racing almost a month straight, much more than usual, I hadn't had any time to do these jobs with last week's break from racing and Hobby Works canceling all events for March, I have some built in time to get to my backlog. Assuming I continue to feel motivated to get these done... these can be time consuming and I don't do them for money/profit so sort of at my whim when inspiration takes me. I asked Patto to strip the background colors as usual and quickly realized that cutting out lighting is a tricky bit. If I had given myself a bit more time, I would have painted the yellow stripes on myself but decided to stick with the decals as I wanted to clear this job out this weekend (2 weeks total).

Overall, if the Owner doesn't want it, I do! Very interested to learn how it drives at 94mm. I really like the livery and already plotting what i can apply this livery to again.

arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.14, 04:22 PM   #2
arch2b

Here are some of the sectioning process cuts.

Old 2020.03.14, 08:12 PM   #3
smokey_truck

That is great skill and came out great. I made one 90mm one and it is interesting to see 94mm and curious on how it drives.

Smokey
smokey_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.16, 11:59 PM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

A couple days ago, I wrote a really long post about how awesome this is, but I don't see it. Must have quit browser without submitting.

Anyway, really nice work! I used to do a lot of body chopping with bit Charg and Microsizer bodies, but was always worried about durability with Mini-Z bodies. That looks tough as nails. Have you ever had a modified body like that come apart?

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.03.17, 06:08 AM   #5
arch2b

I’ve chopped a few GT01’s already and have yet to break one. The plastic used in particular is very well suited to being bonded. It doesn’t feel the same as Autoscale plastic when cutting with a knife.

I still have my Bit Charg stuff . Fun times with those.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.03.17 at 06:14 AM.
Old 2020.03.17, 11:52 AM   #6
TPDazzle

Looks nice and clean. Nice paint as well. Good job!
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.04.04, 03:32 PM   #7
magnum_junior

Nice customizing work! I see you use the same polystyrene glue I'd use for static models. I wonder if Tamiya white putty would work for filling and gluing?
Also, any idea if a vinyl mask would work for simpler paint designs?
I have this knowledge from doing models and also painting lexan bodies but too hesitant to start the zr1 or r8 white body I have.
magnum_junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.04.04, 05:40 PM   #8
arch2b

if you can cut vinyl masks with sufficient resolution, i'm very interested in trying. You just need to be able to pull it off without taking the paint with it.

I've never used Tamiya putty so no idea but really would like to try it on a wide body conversion. I've always wanted to make WRC wide body kit for 90mm body.