Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.04.14, 10:25 AM   #1
Metal Mech

Reintroduction and MA-010 help/advice

Ok guys time to reintroduce myself. I joined years ago but I am guessing my old account went defunct from lack of activity. I will try to keep this short but I tend to ramble.

So back in 2010 I bought a MA-010 ready set with a Subaru Impreza rally body. Is also purchased two other bodies to go with it. I planed to get a radio and build a track in my garage. Life happened and I ever got a radio or track. Never even took the car out of the box.

Fast forward to now. I had been showing interest in buying a 1/10 car to build as a drifter just for playing around with. While talking to a buddy at work I remembered that I had this car in a box in the basement.

So I have decided I would like to turn this into a drifter for fun. I have been reading the old threds and getting some info. My issue at this point is actually finding parts. I don’t want to accidentally buy parts that don’t fit the 010 chassis.

Also at this point I don’t have a clue what radio to buy either since everything has advanced in 8years.

My plan for now is to try and get a radio and drift tires. Then work up from there.

I would appreciate any advice on parts for this chassis. For example what drift tires do I need? So far I found 8.5mm tires that were sold out and 11mm that are avalivle.
Metal Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.14, 05:12 PM   #2
ScottGTO
Tinfoil member status

welcome back. I am in the same boat. I just rekindled my interest in Mini-z's now that my boy is just turning 4, thought it would be a good time to start building his interest (really it's dad who wants back in ha ha) Logged back in today and saw my last time visiting the site was in 2011..
ScottGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.14, 11:03 PM   #3
herman

Welcome back guys...

Well the quick answer is to get a radio kt-18 and drift tires... drift tires might be hard to come by these days though (in a pinch, you can probably tape the tires)... and that's pretty much it.

Hope this helps...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.14, 11:31 PM   #4
Metal Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Welcome back guys...

Well the quick answer is to get a radio kt-18 and drift tires... drift tires might be hard to come by these days though (in a pinch, you can probably tape the tires)... and that's pretty much it.

Hope this helps...
That answers my question about the Radio thanks. I know the tires are difficult to find but if I did find them what size are they? I have seen 8.5mm and 11mm. I also have different size rims front to rear. So do I need both sizes or does one set come with staggered size. Or does it even matter if they cover the whole rim?

Also other future mods? Bearings I guess are a good idea. I also remember reading that certain parts on the factory chassis were prone to stress and cracking. Which parts were those?

I know it’s gonna be a bit difficult tracking down some parts but as long as I know what to get I can keep a lookout for it.
Old 2018.04.15, 09:58 AM   #5
TPDazzle

AMAIN has drift tires in stock in 8.5 and 11 mm. I would just get bearings and tires and then drive your car and see what you want to change or wait until something breaks and then upgrade.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.16, 10:40 AM   #6
Metal Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPDazzle View Post
AMAIN has drift tires in stock in 8.5 and 11 mm. I would just get bearings and tires and then drive your car and see what you want to change or wait until something breaks and then upgrade.
That sounds like a pretty decent plan to me. Probably get a better feel of what changes when I upgrade something if I know how it drives stock.

Do you know which tires I need? Maybe both?
Old 2018.04.16, 08:10 PM   #7
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mech View Post
That sounds like a pretty decent plan to me. Probably get a better feel of what changes when I upgrade something if I know how it drives stock.

Do you know which tires I need? Maybe both?
I am definitely not an expert on AWD. I have never owned one. Mini z s typically use narrow tires (8.5) on the front and wide tires (the 11 mm) on the rear. The diameter should be the same for all of them. Look at the rims on your car and see. Some bodies that are narrow use narrow rims front and rear, most use narrow fronts and wide rear. Measure the width of you current tires and order the same.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.16, 08:42 PM   #8
herman

Quote:
So back in 2010 I bought a MA-010 ready set with a Subaru Impreza rally body. I know the tires are difficult to find but if I did find them what size are they?
if i'm not mistaken the subaru rally has narrow 8.5mm rims all around... you can visually check this if they are the same width... if not, that would mean one is narrow and the other is wide (11mm)

Quote:
Also other future mods? Bearings I guess are a good idea. I also remember reading that certain parts on the factory chassis were prone to stress and cracking. Which parts were those?
bearings are ok, but i don't think you'll go fast enough to break anything while drifting, unless you smash into a wall or something... drifting stock is ok though (not much of a drifter)

good luck

Last edited by herman; 2018.04.17 at 02:31 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote