Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2019.06.04, 03:00 PM   #1
tommy_greeneyes

Summer shootout trophy race (RC Car World) July 7,

This is our Summer shootout trophy race. The 3 classes will be running our Kyosho Stock, 70 comp stock class and modified. They will be 2 qualifying Heats and mains.

RC Car World
4340 N Route 130, Willingboro, New Jersey 08046

Kyosho Stock-

Kyosho chassis, no modifications
Stock electronics, no modifications
Stock motors & PN 70t motors are OK too, no modifications
AAA rechargeable nimh only
Kyosho bodies, no modifications (whitebodies with paint or stickers are OK)
Aftermarket front body mounts and reinforcements are OK
Kyosho tires, no doping
T-plate open
Front springs open
94 & 98mm bodies that can't fit the LM or MM2 mount can run a PN Multi Length Disk Damper with soft springs only
86 & 90mm bodies are open disk damper with stock motor mounts
Bearings are encouraged
Wheels can be replaced with similar offsets
Metal wheel nuts are encouraged
Aftermarket servo gears are OK

70 comp class :
AAA batteries with any 70 turn brush motor or any 3500 KV brushless motor.
Kyosho Hardbody only no Lexan bodies

Modified class: Any 2wd or 4wd
8.4 lipo pack or AAA batteries.
Open body: lexan body or hard body
Run what you brung and hold on tight

We will have one largest mini z track. 3 tiles wide and very flowy course. Will have a great driver stand to look over the top of the layout.

Top 3 finishers get trophies.

We will lay the RCP track over top this big carpet track. And we'll make the largest and fastest Mini z track..
Pit Area is big
Old 2019.06.05, 02:20 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Im looking forward to the event! Track looks huge, and lots of pit space...
Old 2019.06.08, 12:01 AM   #3
tommy_greeneyes

Do not miss

This will be a race no other mini Z racer want to miss.
Old 2019.06.14, 01:52 PM   #4
tommy_greeneyes

updated rules for boxstock class

update 2.0

I am going back to the way the rules we did at Hobbytown tom river NJ in box-stock class. after buying a new box stock car this gives them an option to there set up

Kyosho BoxStock Class

Brush or brushless car Kit are allowed

Kyosho chassis, no modifications

Stock electronics, stock FETS

Stock motors & PN 70t motors or any 3500kv brushless (PN,GL
TECH- 70 turn needs to have a 9 tooth pinion
3500kv motor can have a 10 tooth pinion
but you need to have the Kyosho stock gear diff

AAA rechargeable NiMH only

Kyosho bodies, (white bodies with paint or stickers are OK)
3d print wings are ok

Aftermarket front body mounts and reinforcements are OK

Kyosho tires or PN tires only

T-plate open

Front springs open

94 & 98mm bodies that can't fit the LM or MM2 mount can run a PN Multi Length Disk Damper with soft springs only
86 & 90mm bodies are open disk damper with stock motor mounts

Bearings are encouraged

Wheels can be replaced with similar offsets
Metal wheel nuts are encouraged
Aftermarket servo gears are OK

Last edited by tommy_greeneyes; 2019.06.14 at 02:27 PM.
tommy_greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.14, 03:10 PM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I would attend if were not the same weekend as my son’s B-day.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.16, 09:01 PM   #6
Mike Keely

The V3 PN 3500 is way faster then the PN 70 turn motor with a 9 or 10 tooth pinion. I would say that the PN 3500 should run an 8 tooth pinion now.
Old 2019.06.16, 09:39 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Is this a motor thing, or an EVO issue? Does the EVO provide more top end than the older ESC? I had always run the PN 3500 V3 in my kyosho stock LM car before I swapped it over for superstock duty, and felt that my 70t car had more top end, but less power off the corner.

When i had raced with you in the hotel conference room, i switched to my brushed car simply because I had no straight speed. Is my PN V3 a dog motor, or is it the EVO electronics that are drastically increasing the performance of the motors? Are racers changing rotors, adjusting ESC timing settings? These are all things that can contribute considerably to performance. How do we tech this?

Perhaps the competitiveness in the kyosho stock class is outgrowing the spirit of the class, and its real purpose as an entry level sportsman style class. I don't want to make hard judgements, but the goal of such a class is that a racer can get up to speed with minimal changes to a stock RWD model car. If the bar is set to needing an EVO, 3500V3... then perhaps discussion and evaluation needs to be made on the structure of the class including the EVO... Perhaps those cars should be directed towards 70 comp and have the kyosho stock as a brushed only class to reduce headache of balancing the power?

Im not trying to jump the gun, but open discussion on the matter and see where everyone stands with it.

Last edited by EMU; 2019.06.16 at 09:41 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.17, 06:09 AM   #8
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Is this a motor thing, or an EVO issue? Does the EVO provide more top end than the older ESC? I had always run the PN 3500 V3 in my kyosho stock LM car before I swapped it over for superstock duty, and felt that my 70t car had more top end, but less power off the corner.

When i had raced with you in the hotel conference room, i switched to my brushed car simply because I had no straight speed. Is my PN V3 a dog motor, or is it the EVO electronics that are drastically increasing the performance of the motors? Are racers changing rotors, adjusting ESC timing settings? These are all things that can contribute considerably to performance. How do we tech this?

Perhaps the competitiveness in the kyosho stock class is outgrowing the spirit of the class, and its real purpose as an entry level sportsman style class. I don't want to make hard judgements, but the goal of such a class is that a racer can get up to speed with minimal changes to a stock RWD model car. If the bar is set to needing an EVO, 3500V3... then perhaps discussion and evaluation needs to be made on the structure of the class including the EVO... Perhaps those cars should be directed towards 70 comp and have the kyosho stock as a brushed only class to reduce headache of balancing the power?

Im not trying to jump the gun, but open discussion on the matter and see where everyone stands with it.

All good calls EMU. I can see no need to try to back door a class in order to improve performance just to make sales of a better part. This is exactly how 1/10th scale got out of control in the first place. Run the motors as manufactured. No changes. Period!! Aside from the fact that the VE motor is more reliable and requires much less maintenance there is no need to futz with it.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.17, 12:28 PM   #9
arch2b

You’ll never get back to brushed only class. It’s simply far to restrictive as the only for sale chassis that is brushed are sports left in the market and RWD FHSS and the legacy cars still in use, which is becoming fewer and fewer with each race i attend.

I have the EVO board in many cars and there is a noticeable gain in performance from the EVO board. My impetus for changing to EVO is driven by interoperability of brushed/brushless more than performance, but that’s just my motivation. It’s just my opinion but the EVO board is the genesis for the notable gains of the V3. Otherwise, like any other motor, you get good ones and bad ones. I’ve not had the best of luck in that regard with PN brushless motors. I find the V3 overall improved over previous versions but the GL3500 is stronger than earlier PN versions as well.

I would be OK with not including EVO electronics in stock class. I would have to tweak an existing ASF chassis to get back to stock but it’s understandable. I would honestly like to go back to stock motors as well but there simply isn’t support from the drivers to do so and all the regional clubs have bumped up to 70/3500 for stock complaining the stock motors burned up in anything more than 5 minute mains. As much as I like the box stock motor class, it would drive more away, than bring in. See also points made just below that contribute to the problem.

If a club is dealing with a large contingent of inexperienced drivers, a dedicated stock motor class would be helpful if, and it’s a big if, you could convince them that slower is better. That is and remains the biggest problem in the scale, everyone wants to go as fast or faster than they can reasonably control the car. The prevailing opinion is to go big and dial down speed vs. learning to drive at the full extent of a slower motor. I would imagine this is consistent problem at all scales however exacerbated with the 6” size of mini-z and generally smaller tracks on average.

There is no reasonable manner to tech all aspects of car now that you can tweak board and transmitter settings. You are never going to have that level of control and or ability to regulate unless you further restrict transmitters which no one wants to do either. Now that anyone with bluetooth phone and adapter practically, can adjust board ICS settings, there are simply too many variables to contend with.

I for one would like to see a pathway to get the Atomic, GL, Xpower cars in stock class as well as the same is no longer dominated by Kyosho and the term Mini-Z has simply become the general reference for the scale in the same manner that Velcro is what all hook and loop closures or fasteners are called, despite actually being a brand name.

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.06.17 at 12:35 PM.
Old 2019.06.17, 03:34 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

You bring up quite a few good points. In general the scope of kyosho stock is targeted towards newer racers, to be able to get them on track and racing as quick and inexpensive as possible. In my mind, the goal of the class is not necessarily to be the primary focus class for competitive racing. With that said, the class generally makes really good racing because there are few opportunities to open the setup window or gain an equipment advantage over other racers. This seems to be changing a bit with the improvements made with the EVO.

The scope of my post is my view alone, and I do not speak for the rules of the race upcoming, but it may have influence in future events as we move forward. My personal opinion would be to have the kyosho stock class as an entry level sportsman class with no professional racers, as a development class per se... possibly keep it as a brushed only class? Or do away with it altogether, and have the cars run in the 70 comp class. The two classes being so close in performance, is a little redundant, however there are considerable differences in pace due to gearing restriction above all else. The mr03 chassis with only a disc damper and t-plate for upgrade has excellent cornering performance, that the real performance difference between 70 comp and kyosho stock comes down to the gearing restriction since just about everyone uses a disc damper in the class.

I have mixed feelings about the place of kyosho stock currently, as the discrepancy between gearing of brushless vs brushed motors varies between motor and electronics used. What is apparent, is that we cannot please everyone, but my general thought is that we should not be pushing the latest and greatest product as a necessity to run the class. It boils down to what can be set as the base standard to run the class, and when buy in becomes $350 for the entry level class, vs the $175 for the RTR, it makes me think that the scope of the class needs to be set towards the entry level drivers on entry level equipment.
Old 2019.06.17, 09:48 PM   #11
Mike Keely

I think that stock has been pushed to the limit at our club. I have not won a box stock race in weeks. I may get one 6.9 second lap in a ten minute race while many of our guys are getting multiple 6.7 second laps. Tommy Bond is lapping me in a ten minute race. I need to build a new car next fall to compete with them in box stock.

I agree that these cars just need to be ran in a comp. class. That is not going to happen though. All the things that Ray said in his last post is the new norm for anyone that wants to be competitive in box stock.
Old 2019.06.18, 06:23 AM   #12
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

"Key words", box stock!! Not intended to pick or criticize but failing eyesight and maybe reflexes and glasses have something to do with it as well. Will more motor make it better or just exacerbate the situation?

Last edited by mleemor60; 2019.06.18 at 06:29 AM.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.18, 09:48 AM   #13
arch2b

No one is using the term ‘box’ stock... Box stock only works if there is sufficient numbers and dedication to the ‘slower’ class, neither of which are likely given my many years of working out of both basement clubs and retail stores. ‘Box’ stock classes are a fluke, not the norm. It may have worked had Kyosho not disappeared post 2004 race venues in NA and had not most hobby shops gone under post 2008.
I’ve covered this ground already regarding the multitude of issues a club has to contend with regarding it’s choice for stock class. Unless your running in a small group and all have the same kit or in a retail environment in which a store needs a class to ‘buy and race’, box stock days are long gone. As far as I know, Hobby Works Fairfax stock using the white End bell motor was the last run of truly ‘stock’ motor class. Even then, the overwhelming complaints of more than 5 minute races on stock motors and need to incorporate brushless muddied the waters to the point where were at now, 70t/3500 as the new ‘stock’. Hell, if you look at most other club rules, what is considered stock is more 70comp/mod for us.
The quandary boils down to how do you maintain a level of stock that keeps costs as low as possible while also allowing for the greater participation of the varied people and kits brought to compete? The logical answer we’ve reached is to limit changes to greatest extent practical and try to level the field with regard to motor/gearing to address the absolute mess Kyosho has made of their electronics across the lineup. This continues to completely ignore the 3rd party vendors whom are on pace to really surpass Kyosho with kit offerings which is to our own detriment as a scale. ‘Box’ stock as an answer only works in rare cases and limited venues. Everyone will get a good sense of this with the second coming of the Cup series with its strict limits on slower classes. I think most were not around for the initial run of the Cup series and experience has been lost. Anyone that manages a club will know the minute you make one exception to the rules it continues to erode the intent of the class and the more exceptions you make, the worse it gets. I don’t always like being the one to say no, but at times it has to be done to maintain the intent of the class and hope that it’s not seen as a slight or that i’ve Ignored or discarded opinions as that’s really not the case. I’ve at times really made some people very upset, to the point i’ve Had to block people and or they have left the club. It’s part of the headache and stress that comes with managing a venue that i believe most take for granted as they just show up, race and leave, while all the work behind the scene to make it happen and make it hopefully enjoyable is for the most part overlooked. Anyone who’s managed an event can attest to the amount of work involved behind the scene. It’s a great deal of work to make sure others have a good time. Now think about what has to go into picking and managing a set of classes all the while trying to maintain the integrity of those classes while at the same time not watch them fizzle out. It’s a game of chess really in which you have to think strategically and more long term view vs. immediate desire.
I’m not in favor of banning the experienced drivers from stock class either. I’ve seen what this does over time and the model for success that worked out Hobby Works included ‘experts’ as this demonstrates to all that a stock car is plenty capable of racing at a highly competitive level, which would otherwise be experienced as the ‘newb’ class that is predominantly looks down on and thought lesser of, meaning not equitable. I admit what worked at Hobby Works isn’t the answer for everyone, it simply worked for us in the space we had and complemented by the drivers we had. When you get the experts competing with (not misunderstood to mean against as they will practically speaking not end up in same mains) and assisting the new drivers, everyone wins. You also then have to define what ‘expert’ is. We all get a sense of who that may be but how do you quantify that in a measurable way? How is this equitable in limiting the ability of an expert to enjoy the simple pleasure of a simple class? I’ve often considered quitting all classes but stock and HFAY myself, still do today.

Lets also not forget there is another tool in the arsenal to control speed, the track . It is my opinion that the success of the stock class at Hobby Works was in part due to limiting the track size to HFAY size or slightly larger (less the 3 wide L). The track plays a huge roll in limiting the practical ability to utilize speeds and modified setups. Thankfully for us in this region, there are any number of places one can go to get that itch for larger layouts and faster pace tracks.

Apologies for my many references to Hobby Works as this has been my main push on stock class in a retail location. Now that i’m Back in another Hobby Works, will be re-evaluating the current rules however back to HFAY tracks.

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.06.18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 2019.06.18, 08:32 PM   #14
mugler

My couple of cents in a great discussion. From the get go Box Stock class in any scale of RC racing has pursued 2 intentions 1) lowest cost Possible 2) least amount of maintenance & tuning needed which in turn shifts the balance of competition towards on the wheel & trigger driving skills rather than tuning skills. For this era of mini-z we are going through only RWD’s with original KT-531 radio falls in that category. As mentioned the cost of an EVO car + Rx + Body + Even a regular KT-531 + Kyosho brushed motor (needed for boxStock) + ICS cable ( to be able to switch EVO to brushed) is well over double the price of a RWD. Furthermore the far superior EVO’s ESC and not often mentioned superior holding power of the EVO’s servo with sophisticated adjustment capabilities eliminates it as fair competition for RWD’s.

The following has already been discussed so it’s just a repeat for those who might have not come across it yet but True bare bones box stock’s chassis performance is not considered hobby grade …the conversation starts with a Near Box Stock class ( NBS) allowing reversing the original pins / open tires ( but spec would be better with short K fronts -to eliminate need to true & tire testing) / open T-bar / open front Springs / Open any plastic Kyosho mount of any WB or configuration / Open any kyosho plastic or carbon fiber friction plates or discs that fit any of the plastic motor mounts / For sure keep the kyosho motor in there but maybe allow the AWD version also which has more torque…etc etc.

Also very important to have to all driver levels up to full expert/pro to participate in this class. One of THE most heart pumping & memorable races I participated in was back in 2010 box stock class at Kyosho Headquarters with all 6 drivers in the a-main finishing on the same lap !! Making signing up in NBS class mandatory before one can sign up for other classes or awarding bonus points in other classes for podium position finished in NBS class or making the NBS class the qualifying round for the other faster classes could be things to be considered to keep the experts & pros running NBS. If only Novice & sportsman drivers are to enter NBS then from the first time they put their car down on the rack the only possible goal they can have is to graduate to the faster classes when they improve which usually means they think hop ups will take them there which then disqualifies their car for the NBS class in a hurry…its pretty easy to believe that's a big part of what kills any box stock class that tries to stay afloat but can’t…that being the faster drivers around only want to run the faster classes.

Last edited by mugler; 2019.06.18 at 08:36 PM.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.19, 01:20 AM   #15
TPDazzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
My couple of cents in a great discussion. From the get go Box Stock class in any scale of RC racing has pursued 2 intentions 1) lowest cost Possible 2) least amount of maintenance & tuning needed which in turn shifts the balance of competition towards on the wheel & trigger driving skills rather than tuning skills. For this era of mini-z we are going through only RWD’s with original KT-531 radio falls in that category. As mentioned the cost of an EVO car + Rx + Body + Even a regular KT-531 + Kyosho brushed motor (needed for boxStock) + ICS cable ( to be able to switch EVO to brushed) is well over double the price of a RWD. Furthermore the far superior EVO’s ESC and not often mentioned superior holding power of the EVO’s servo with sophisticated adjustment capabilities eliminates it as fair competition for RWD’s.

The following has already been discussed so it’s just a repeat for those who might have not come across it yet but True bare bones box stock’s chassis performance is not considered hobby grade …the conversation starts with a Near Box Stock class ( NBS) allowing reversing the original pins / open tires ( but spec would be better with short K fronts -to eliminate need to true & tire testing) / open T-bar / open front Springs / Open any plastic Kyosho mount of any WB or configuration / Open any kyosho plastic or carbon fiber friction plates or discs that fit any of the plastic motor mounts / For sure keep the kyosho motor in there but maybe allow the AWD version also which has more torque…etc etc.

Also very important to have to all driver levels up to full expert/pro to participate in this class. One of THE most heart pumping & memorable races I participated in was back in 2010 box stock class at Kyosho Headquarters with all 6 drivers in the a-main finishing on the same lap !! Making signing up in NBS class mandatory before one can sign up for other classes or awarding bonus points in other classes for podium position finished in NBS class or making the NBS class the qualifying round for the other faster classes could be things to be considered to keep the experts & pros running NBS. If only Novice & sportsman drivers are to enter NBS then from the first time they put their car down on the rack the only possible goal they can have is to graduate to the faster classes when they improve which usually means they think hop ups will take them there which then disqualifies their car for the NBS class in a hurry…its pretty easy to believe that's a big part of what kills any box stock class that tries to stay afloat but can’t…that being the faster drivers around only want to run the faster classes.
I agree with Mugler's take on NBS class completely. Especially the part about all racers being required to sign up for NBS first, then whatever HFAY or modified class after. My club is basically garage racers that solely do HFAY, so we all have HFAY cars, but I keep a NBS car and KT 19 ( unfortunately I have a sports2 instead of the newer RWD) for my occasional trips to race with PDX. They used to have a similar rule, not sure if they still do. It seems this allows a fair and affordable entry point, while still allowing die-hards to spend lots of money on all the go-fast bits they want to.
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote