Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs > Murdertown Racing Club, Wilmington DE

Old 2019.06.02, 02:51 PM   #16
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Great location, easy to find with GPS, plenty of parking. i should adjust directions to avoid more tolls though, seemed like i was hitting everyone of them on the way. it was about a 140 minute drive for me each way which felt short to me as i make a 4.5 hour drive to a job site twice a month for work.

It would help to provide a map to the upstairs gym, old school buildings that have decades of alterations tend to be maze like Perhaps someone from the building has an old evac map they can give so that a markup can be made. there is more than enough space to accommodate en larger track and easily 20 more drivers than we already had. Nearby facilities made it convenient and lots of natural daylight which makes for a bright space. stadium seating was fun, could be great for larger events when you have a crowd that wants to watch as well. The building staff is super friendly as well.

The track was LARGE! it could have benefited from 3 tile back straight that was 40+ feet long and maybe one or two other straight sections to allow for overtaking. it must be my aging but i'm having increasing difficulty with really wide tracks and accurate depth perception in making the turns on the far ends.
Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of smooth side tracks however not anything that would prevent me from attending nor should it for anyone else. the difference is marginal really but enough that you need test/practice time if coming from carpet of rough tiles as it requires changes to tires at the very least. I was running PN supersoft rear and Kyosho 30 front on all my cars as this is my default setup anyway. I didn't want to drastically alter my cars as they work fantastic on home track so did my best to adapt driving style to the smooth tiles. I have to be honest in my assessment in that I did not do well in that regard. I had a couple stints of great laps sprinkled in-between a majority of the time trying to keep off the rails and other cars. I may have come in last place in all classes possibly but i achieved my priority goal which was to have a good time. not all my cars would hold straight for 40+ back run on a 2 tile width which made it a challenge to stay smooth and achieve some manner of consistency.
The bumpy wide inside turns, please... I'm not unaccustomed to a bumpy track as Fairfax Hobby Works was notoriously bumpy due to previous cobblestone floor finish but the near jumps some of the tiles created were more of a frustration than challenge. I hope those tiles can be laid out to flatten out again but the inside turn right after the timing bridge was more rally stage forcing all to take a far outside line or risk being dukes of hazard road jumped or high centered. I can say that it made for some measure of entertainment however so not all bad. it certainly didn't stop some from laying down blistering laps. just not something i would employ again unless that is part of the desired challenge.

What can i say, always a good time to hang out on a good day with fellow racers and catch up on various things and meet some new guys. For me, this is my hobby and break from stress of work, life, etc. so primary goal is always to enjoy myself first and let the results work themselves out. Trophies or awards aren't my motivation at all in racing, it's improving on my own skills and enjoying a common experience with people i enjoy sharing time with. Time is after all, our most precious commodity.

While lunch was fantastic, don't get me wrong, I just love the old lunches with incredible tacos easy to say when i'm not the one making them... first class lunch for sure and very much appreciated! I neglected to try the pizza though...

I look forward to more events held there! I'm sure they have space to store track if it's made a regular thing to make setup and tear down easier on you guys. it's a big building with lots of closets, nooks and crannies. i'm very accustomed to setup and tear down and it becomes a chore at time, always there to help when needed. It's something most don't appreciate about events, that someone has to do all that work vs. just showing up and racing.

Can someone post the results?!
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.02, 05:42 PM   #17
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
We will have the results posted soon.

Ray, you can be certain that the bumpy sections of track will not be used again. There was a miscount with with the amount of inside corners were had at the location vs what were in stock at the storage... when the track was assembled, we were 2 corners short and Tommy had 3 inside wide radius corners in his car. The cause the bumps. I skirted the issue quite literally by altering my line to go just around the outside of the bumps... but, it was not pleasant having the bumps in the track. Test assured that it will not happen again.

I have very little smooth side experience myself. I have raced twice on the murdertown small track smooth, and the PN race. While setup is not drastically different, I have found that the feel of traction is. My muscle memory differs from what my eyes tell me on track.

We definitely intend to make the straight 3 tile wide, as well as other sections. I would have liked to widen the diagonal chicane sections to give more space for alternate lines. I particularly had difficulty with the hairpin on the left side, where I expected the car to slow more with scrub, but ended up pushing wide quite often. This almost became my line, as it also helped through the diagonal section since it was just a small adjustment to prepare for the right hairpin turn entry. Sort of unintended, but it produced some consistent results.
Old 2019.06.02, 06:05 PM   #18
arch2b

Maybe thats what i'm battling as well... (muscle memory). I'm trying to hit a line that just isn't performing as anticipated or more appropriately, my car isn't handling the line the same way. Either way, i'm the drive so my issue. I'm not the best driver to start with, every time on the smooth is an exercise for me. I prefer smooth over carpet in fact but working with over a decade on rough side makes transitions to other materials feel like learning all over again

Yeah, understood why the bumpy tiles were there... You guys in the top spots clearly made it around OK, i just kept relapsing into trying to take a tighter line to make up for lack of consistency elsewhere on the track and it bit me almost every time. Again, more my fault than anything.

Every event is an opportunity to better the next one! I've yet to hold an event that didn't have something to overcome. Again, first event in a new place, your going to find out what works and what would work better. If there is ever anything i can do to help, just let me know. i look forward to the next one!

i'm sure those tiles will flatten out. a couple days in the sun usually works for me. if not, you can simply carve up a couple blank tiles to make new pieces. i'm a big fan of the wide inside turns and worth the effort.

got to say, the speaker and mic are a great idea. it just happens the stand was behind and above making it a bit harder to understand at times as it sounded like charlie brown. when the timing stops beeping, also helpful to be very clear about starts/stops. Mike K has a loud voice and usually takes care of that for us, i'm not a great public speaker myself. Having a race commentor is always fun and helpful. unfortunately, it seems they repainted the place limiting white backdrop space the the projector.
Good job on posting each race results on the wall as well. i don't think most appreciate how busy the race operator can be at the PC and easy to get overwhelmed with questions while trying to work the PC. the pin up of the results goes a long way in keeping the race director focused on whats in front of him. Hats off to you guys, it's a lot of work

looking over the video i got, editing now... due to view settings to keep the wide angle from appearing distorted, it's a far feeling video which means it feels like your much farther away from the track when the camera was actually right in the middle of the driver stand.

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.06.03 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2019.06.02, 08:09 PM   #19
Mike Keely

Sounds like it was a big success. If you have a race planned and the outdoor weather is looking bad I will try to make it. You know that I will be on the water if I can during the summer.

Sounds like you can get some really big races set up with some sponsorship. It would be great to have another 50+ racers battling it out on a big lay out. I hope this works out for all of us that race this class! Thanks for putting so much effort into it.
Old 2019.06.02, 08:38 PM   #20
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Thanks Mike, I do hope that we can build up to those numbers. The facility and track size can handle it...

You were missed, but we understand... it was such a nice day, I'm sure the water was a great place to be. We don't have anything scheduled until after summer, as we expect many will want to enjoy the nice weather. The remnant guys that made it were much appreciated. If we get a few more of the fast New Yorkers, it could start to be a great show and good racing.
Old 2019.06.09, 04:22 PM   #21
arch2b

Apologies for taking so long with the video. Each video is about 2.5 hours of PC time so it's a length process.

70 Comp
Qualifier 1
A Main

Modified
Qualifier 1
Qualifier 2
A Main

Kyosho Stock
Qualifier 1
Qualifier 2
A Main