Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.06.03, 03:00 PM   #61
DMALMAD

I appreciate your feedback but it is not neccesary for the plans I have in mind which I think I have made clear. If you have personal comments that you would like to make I have plenty of space in my pm box and would be willing to answer any and all of your questions. This chassis was designed for me, a racer (which means that I race on an on road, mini z sized specific track). You insulted me and then wonder why I respond by saying that your feedback is not wanted when you question my intent. I am recieving some intrest from parties that are real racers, and while I love tinkering what is the use of a chassis that you never race? I am not trying to alienate perspective buyers but any chassis like this whether x-power or atomic is not right for the regular basher who plays with. While mini-z comes down to having fun, you can have just as much fun with a bone stock mr-01 as any high end chassis if your are just kicking around in your living room, which is why it makes no sense for me to try and advertise this chassis to those who are not going to be able to get its full potential. And in the end it may not work at all so who cares anyway.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.03, 03:36 PM   #62
DMALMAD

Moving on... I played with the front end a lot on tuesday and got a lot of good data. I think that I have yet to find the right balance front to rear but individually they feel just right lol. Basically If I make my front how stiff i usually want to make it it makes only the rear work but I like the rear soft to get that great rear grip. I will work on increasing the rear stiffness and playing with droop some more as I think that I am about 85% there as to the way I think it can drive. Anyway take a look at my front end now and excuse the makeshift plastic c-clips as I lost all two of the stock ones

As a sidenote I think that the white plastic is going to be the go to as the dye in the black plastic really makes the suspension bind and when I polished it out the balls kept popping out. The lpf front was great but the combination of rubbing and limited ride height/ droop settings meant that for carpet I am going to have to stick with the spring over. Too bad it was really smooth.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 2015.06.03, 05:18 PM   #63
Number1

Just curious, how good/fast is this car now?
Are you doing 8.0 yet? or 7.9? or even 7.8? and how fast was your mrx?
I want to know if I need to worry.
Old 2015.06.03, 05:28 PM   #64
DMALMAD

Not that fast yet. Early on when the tires were good my setup was way off but then I made some changes and the car started to feel really good but then the tires went. I would have had lap times but I did not have a working transponder wire with me.

MRX is probably at a 8.1 it is still slow
Old 2015.06.05, 11:07 PM   #65
DMALMAD

First race in the books and I am pretty happy with the car but not with myself. I was able to pull off an 7.8 hotlap and the hotlap of the main was a 7.7 so I am right there. The car qualified 4th on the grid but in the 3rd qualifier I misjuudged my tires so I think that I could have qualified as high as 2nd had I had my tires right for the 3rd qualififer. When it came time for the main my pinion striped so it only did a 8.2 hotlap and I was in 4th place when I had to pull off. I was battling for 3rd for a while but the car was not right during the main (pinion was semi-stripped the whole race). Anyways I will post the video tomorrow when it is avialable. Overall the car was able to do consistent laps so I am pretty happy. I still have more work to do but for the first race night it did well.
Old 2015.06.06, 08:08 PM   #66
DMALMAD

Got a lot more laps in today and was really able to dial in the car. No lap counter so I do not know exactly how fast but the car felt much easier to drive and overall faster. I took some videos of today and the best one I got is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lbc...ature=youtu.be
In this video the car has a slight push to the left that you will notice and lacked a little corner speed. During my last run I finally got my camber gain settings right and was able to get some even tighter laps. Here is the race night video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4_IrkPE3uk but you will notice the pinion and the bad handling. I think that the pinion gear caused some of the pushing I was facing and I also had a lot of right oversteer that was causing some lift so to avoid that I had to go wide and take off some travel, hence the pushing. But I think that now the car is on par with the MRX so if I can get the car equal to the MRX within the first two weeks when I have been running the MRX for over 8-11months I cannot wait to see what I can do
Old 2015.06.06, 08:37 PM   #67
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
nice video, great race calling/announcing
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.06, 08:39 PM   #68
DMALMAD

Thanks. The main did not turn out like I had hoped but I have high hopes for next week
Old 2015.06.06, 08:46 PM   #69
DMALMAD

Also I got the car wieghed today and it checks in at 145g, so yeah, it is about the lightest 1/28th scale car right now
And with 94mm wheel base and a lot of power there is no hint of traction roll, a lot of rotation, and great on power steering; and all with a rear end that is pretty much locked in (according to third party that has driven the car the car has tons of steering and no hint of the rear end giving).

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.06 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2015.06.06, 09:37 PM   #70
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Always my first choice...having the rear max grip and go from there....

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.07, 03:00 PM   #71
DMALMAD

Tore it down to the last screw and washer today to do a full rebuild and took some photos. I have some comparison shots of it with the MRX and just wanted to point out that although I have the esc on top of the servo at the moment it is still lower than where the esc is in the mrx. The CG is super low on this chassis compared to the MRX because everything is mounted to the bottom of the chassis and since it does not have any heavy aluminum up top like the servo and top covers on the MRX. Anyway enjoy:

Old 2015.06.08, 12:30 PM   #72
DMALMAD

At this point if three more people say they want one I can go ahead and order the chassis plates today and have everything ready to ship within three weeks so if you want one now is the time The plan is to open up a preorder and as soon as everyone pays I will order everything that I need. Or I can also set it up so that you can order just the chassis and get the stuff from shapeways yourself that way you can have it in less than two weeks. I am still working on setting up the website and designing a logo but those two things go hand in hand and should be done within the next few days. As a promotional I am offering to fully assemble anyones chassis (including wiring the stock mini-z board to the servo) for free as long as you order one of the first chassis and supply the components. I will have the full parts list up tonight with prices and links and hope to hear back from you guys. Anyway email me at devin.malmad@gmail.com or PM right on the forum and I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you have any questions feel free to ask... there is no such thing as a stupid question

Edit: Parts list is ready, I will continually update as new configurations are brought to my attention or are tested and proven
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Also I am signed up for shapeways aluminum pilot so if you want everything or some pieces in aluminum shoot me an email and I can get a price figured out for that.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 2015.06.08, 09:07 PM   #73
DMALMAD

Just wanted to mention that the production chassis will do 94-100mm wheelbase in 2mm increments and has the battery 7.5mm farther back then it is now so there will be enough room to mount an x-power esc on the right side of the chassis but I would honestly recomend either the atomic esc (the stock one desoldered) or the mini-z board for price and weight reasons. Also when you consider the price of the car fully built it comes in at around 400$ (of course many of the parts are parts that racers already have laying around so it is possibly much less) so when you consider the fully built x-power car that costs 680$ there is a signfigant price difference along with added functionality of ability to detweak the car, the first true pivot rear suspension, and the openess of electronics, all with the added bonus of dealing with a true racer who understands the needs of others racers you can't really go wrong. I know it sounds kinda cheesy but this car has potential and I would really like to share it with everyone. I am going to go to Railyard's last race on the 21st and will hopefully bring the production model with me for open test drives and I hope to be able to prove the chassis in person. Another benefit to this chassis is that because I am using shapeways for the majority of the parts if there is a running change I can just upload the models to shapeways and you guys can get it direct from the source, no re-releasing update chassis and making people re-buy expensive updates and running improvements.

I am also looking for a team sponsored driver. I am giving away a chassis locally to the winner of the MHS point series but I am also looking to sponsor another driver that races at a different track to spread the word. If you are interested or know of a qualified driver shoot me a pm or email

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.08 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2015.06.09, 07:01 AM   #74
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
Is it compatible only with lexan Bodyes? Or is that any preview for ASC?
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.09, 07:26 AM   #75
DMALMAD

You can cut holes in the autoscales if you want but most likely this chassis will be outlawed in every class except pan car which is why I did not add the asc mounts.

If ASC mounts are something that people want I will look into it but I really do not see the need for them.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.09 at 07:31 AM.