Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.09.12, 08:45 AM   #1
Ricardo

Which MR-03S to buy?

Hi, i'm from Brazil, so sorry for any mistakes in my writing

I had bought my first and only mini-z back in 2004, a MR-01. Now I want to buy a MR-03 Sports, specifically the Ferrari 458 Italia, but the resellers in Brazil don't have this model yet.

I'm going to USA in October, but because of the devaluation of Brazil's currency in relation to USD its a little cheaper to buy an "in stock" model here in Brazil instead in the US.

So I'm thinking in buy one MR-03S here in Brazil and then buy in the US a Ferrari 458 body set to replace it.

I've narrowed my choices to this models available here in Brazil:

Lamborghini Murcielago
La Ferrari
McLaren 12c GT3 2013
Enzo Ferrari

My intention is to race once in a while, using stock cars.

So my doubts are:
1. Wich body is the best for stock class racing?
2. Is this models above fully adjustable to the Ferrari 458 body set?

Thanks.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.12, 10:43 AM   #2
briankstan

the Mclaren 12C is a great race body. that would be my vote.

will work with the ferrari body you want to run.

FYI, for stock racing light is key. the Ferrari 458 is a bit on the heavy side. the Mclaren 12C is way lighter. both bodies will work perfectly.
Old 2015.09.12, 02:14 PM   #3
ilove599xx

I have la ferrari and 12c

12c is a better race body.

the only problem I've seen so far is that wing on the back will break

I know 4 or 5 people race 12c and only one person still keeping the body remain.
ilove599xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.12, 06:09 PM   #4
DMALMAD

Get the McLaren, super light and a great body.

DMR MPC 1/27th Aftermarket Pan Chassis
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.12, 07:37 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

You mentioned "stock" class racing. meaning as it comes out of the box or widespread allowance of aftermarket kibble and bits? If truly stock class racing you need to look into the longer wheelbase LM chassis with the Toyota, Sauber Mercedes or Mazda 787B bodies. I have omitted my favorite, the Porsche 962 because of the extreme fragility of the front body structure. Though all of the bodies benefit from reinforcing the nose structure the 962 requires quite a bit more than usual. The 102mm chassis won't allow for the 98mm McLaren or Ferrari bodies but it does come with a viable damper plate system that provides a distinct handling advantage over the 98mm chassis selections. The LM chassis cars are heavier but are a great deal more robust than the McLaren especially. The longer wheelbase lends itself well to drivers with little driving experience or in your case maybe just a bit rusty. If your "stock" racing allows for more competitive tire selections the LM tires from Kyosho 302-20 rears and 301-30 fronts provide excellent traction and great durability. If you happen to be competing on a carpet surface then use 301-40 fronts as you will not need that much steering. As you progress you can change out the rear motor pod for the 98mm unit and the appropriate width differential and you will be able switch to the McLaren or Ferrari.

Of course this is all dependent in your case in the definition of "stock" class racing.

If you have questions feel free to ask. There are a number of dedicated racer's that will help.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2015.09.13 at 06:30 AM. Reason: additional information and explanation.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.12, 10:44 PM   #6
ilove599xx

Can anyone suggest 12c wheel set after market?

orginal are 1.5 and 2.5 I think

I don't know which company actually makes that kind of off set

if there is one, can anyone tell me?

if not

any suggestion from 0, 1, 2,3 off set?
ilove599xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.12, 11:01 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

If you're not looking for alloy I'm a big fan of the pn multi spoke delrin. You can paint or dye to get the look you want with any body finish (or the obvious black/ white choices)

I use +2 rear +1 front and therefore can switch between different 98 bodies that way

Mleemor60 has given some sound advice. One of the best stock chassis I've ever owned was a Porsche 962 ready set.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.13, 02:35 AM   #8
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove599xx View Post
Can anyone suggest 12c wheel set after market?

orginal are 1.5 and 2.5 I think

I don't know which company actually makes that kind of off set

if there is one, can anyone tell me?

if not

any suggestion from 0, 1, 2,3 off set?
IMHO stick with some sort of dish wheel. Atomic or PN. PN Delrin Dish rims are really good, their other delrin and plastic options break very easily. Atomic Dish rims are very sturdy too but the delrin makes things easier when gluing tires. With the McLaren 2 F and 2 R should fit, you could also add shims on the diferential to get it closer to 2.5 If I am not mistaken 3 might fit but may need some dremel work to clear the wheel wells enough. Anything more than 2 in the front runs into trouble with rubbing.

Atomic makes S6 delrin dish rims that come in increments of .5 but they do not have a 2.5 I think they only go to 1.5

Old 2015.09.17, 11:33 AM   #9
Ricardo

I bought today the Maclaren 12C but one thing is bothering me:

The front wheels are not parallel to each other. Should this be a problem?

Old 2015.09.17, 12:48 PM   #10
DMALMAD

That is what is called toe out. check this out this explains many useful things: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...NdOBl92HA/edit

Old 2015.09.17, 08:27 PM   #11
herman

Welcome to the forums.

Here is a link to my mclaren
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...ht=Mclaren+12c

I think most cars have a slight toe out. There are some option toe bars that can give you a neutral or toe in option. Hope this helps.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.18, 10:34 PM   #12
Ricardo

But the toe-in should not be neutral (wheels parallel to each other) with the original tie rod?

@DMALMAD

Are you from New Jersey?

I'm going to stay in my brother's home in Hoboken next month. Do you know if there are any tracks and hobby shops (for mini-z parts) near by?
Old 2015.09.19, 07:48 AM   #13
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
But the toe-in should not be neutral (wheels parallel to each other) with the original tie rod?

@DMALMAD

Are you from New Jersey?

I'm going to stay in my brother's home in Hoboken next month. Do you know if there are any tracks and hobby shops (for mini-z parts) near by?
Toe as we understand should be neutral but not at this scale. On a standard S radio you cannot program the steering so the effects of toe out are greater.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.22, 07:22 AM   #14
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
Hello Ricardo!

Please contact me on doug01n@gmail.com so we can talk more. I leave in Rio, but I'm in every group of Mini-z of São Paulo.

Cheers.
Doug
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.22, 06:34 PM   #15
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

@DMALMAD

Are you from New Jersey?

Maj's Hobby Shop in 214 state st. Hackensack NJ

We race every friday night from 7pm-12am but the Hobby shop is open weekdays 12pm-7pm and same for saturday. If you race 1/10th or 1/8th on road electric we run that on saturdays in the parking lot. The hobby shop is about 30-45min from hoboken (I live one town over in Jersey City). They carry most PN parts, many x-power parts and should have you covered for whatever you need. We run lipo powered MRX chassis with lexan bodies and are a pretty competitive crowd but I guarantee if you come to just hang out and have fun you will not be dissapointed.