Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.05, 01:14 AM   #1
Valkyrie001

Talking MR-03 Drifter?

Hi guys I would like to know if I can turn my MR-03 into a drifter and what parts am I going to need to make this happen. Finally found a place where I can race my MINI Z, but I will be going against 1/10 scale drifters and I would like to go up against them. Thank You
Valkyrie001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 09:15 AM   #2
bmmcwhirt

I am still in the process of getting my mini-z but I can tell you in general, you CAN drift any car that isn't FWD. The whole idea is that you want to break the rear tires traction while keeping traction on the front for control. This is usually done by over powering the rear wheels but can bee helped by using slick tires on the rear so less power is needed to break them free.

With an AWD car you gain control because you have power to the front wheels as well so that you have better control while the rear are sliding. It makes the while process a lot easier.

So from my research on the mini-z there are a few things that will make the process easier, and someone who has done this will likely chime in with real world experience. First make sure you have a MR-03 that can be tuned with the ICS adapter. You want MR placement for your motor. You want semi slick tires on the front and slick on the rear. You will need a rear diff that you can lock so that both tires to break free at the same time.
bmmcwhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 02:28 PM   #3
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

you will be at a severe disadvantage but it can be done....bmm has discussed most of the key points for you to look into.

To save yourself a ton of effort you might try to find yourself a cheap 2nd hand Tamiya TT01 or an Associated TC4 at your local pawn shop and electrical tape the wheels. I found that was the cheapest way for me to get into 1/10th RC drift...wasnt perfect but for $50 I could fake it well enough

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 09:51 PM   #4
bmmcwhirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
you will be at a severe disadvantage but it can be done....bmm has discussed most of the key points for you to look into.

To save yourself a ton of effort you might try to find yourself a cheap 2nd hand Tamiya TT01 or an Associated TC4 at your local pawn shop and electrical tape the wheels. I found that was the cheapest way for me to get into 1/10th RC drift...wasnt perfect but for $50 I could fake it well enough
That heavily depends on the type of drifting, if they are doing tandem races yes but if they are doing style point sessions it wont matter that he's not 1/10. That said if you do go 1/10 you can goto the hardware store and find some PVC that fits snuggly over your wheels in place of tires and that works amazingly well.
bmmcwhirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.06, 07:05 PM   #5
Valkyrie001

Just got back from the drifting competition and from what I saw what I need to do with my MINI Z is have really slick tires like BMM said, have my front end toe out and what degree I don't know, but the one thing is the turning range. Maybe a slower engine as well. So the turning range and engine and motor mount. What are your guys idea and recommendation.
Old 2016.03.06, 07:45 PM   #6
herman

although i really haven't tried drifting a mr03... i would suggest for you to try out the awd mini-z... it would be a lot easier to drift just put on the proper drift tires (solid plastic tires) and you'll be good to go... good luck...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.07, 06:07 AM   #7
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
I never saw consistent drift with MR-03. Only donuts. As Mini-z are too tiny, once you loose the rear end, it will be very hard to take it back the way drift needs. You may add a Gyro and play with those settings too. Please send some videos if you have any success.

Wishing all the best!
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.08, 02:10 AM   #8
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie001
OK Herman which one 020 or which one. remember Im new
i'm not too well versed in the awd...
although i do have a couple...
i've got the first ma 010 which is 27am mhz
then i got the ma 010 afs - which is 2.4 ghz

basically that's it.... didn't really like them because i had problems with them not running or tracking straight... they would kind of veer off or favor one side just very slightly...

so i just use them for drifting... kyosho developed some more iterations / models after that... i think the ma 020 and ma020s... i think they've got a brushless version now...

i don't know if the newer versions solved or addressed the steering issues... but looks like lots of people are are into awd... i might have just gotten a couple of bum awd's ... i've also read that others have the same problem as me... guess you could go to a hobby shop or track and see if you can try one out for yourself to see which one you like the mr03 or ma010/ma020... hope this helps....
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.08, 09:05 PM   #9
NZsevenkings

Hi guys.

This is my first post.

I saw this post and had to chime in to find out some more information too. I recently saw this youtube Vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EokjmGiFRMM
and it made me wont to get a small scale drifter. Unfortunately I have no idea what chassis it is. I do have a Sakura D4, its awesome but need something smaller for those rainy days and rwd

I’m just learning about the mini Z platform and my golly there is a lot to learn – hence why I’m writing here.

So I am on the quest for a rear wheel drive drifter with gyro assist.

I emailed Kyosho and asked them which chassis I should use for my application. They suggested the new MR-03 Sport 2 chassis which has a gyro port.
I also asked them about increasing steering angle to “ Catch the drift “ but they couldn’t comment. You guys have any suggestions? Maybe tweaking the chassis with some upgrades might help.

So I google kyosho gyros and this is what came up
This gyro http://www.kyoshoamerica com/Gyro-Un...S_p_23667.html looks to be compatible with the new Sport 2 Chassis

But there is also this gyro for the MR 03 which might fit your Chassis Valkyrie001
http://banzaihobby com/radio-control...-set-for-mr-03.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Four input wires on the MZW431 and three wires on the MZW405?
Would the extra wire be for throttle corrections?

Anyone here using gyros?

Either way, some input from you chaps would be nice. Im assuming not many people have actually done this and Im unsure if its possible using a Mini Z. Just wish the owner of that youtube clip posted his setup because that’s exactly what I wonna achieve. Looking forward to more comments. Cheers

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.31 at 06:16 AM.
NZsevenkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.09, 01:12 AM   #10
Valkyrie001

Hi NZ that's what Im trying to figure out. Like I said earlier in my post what I saw in the 1/10 scale drift comp is that they were using plastic tires and they were rear and AWD drifters. So I sent a e-mail to tiny rc and Im still waiting for an answer. Now for the gyro Im clueless because Im new to the whole thing, but I can say this about my MR-03...It gives the 1/10 the blues when I street race them. The power to weight ratio is ridiculous and the cornering maneuverability is amazing, so that is why I was tiring to figure out two set ups for my 03, one for circuit racing and one for drifting. O what I have is the MR-03 Sport

Last edited by Valkyrie001; 2016.03.09 at 01:29 AM.
Old 2016.03.09, 01:16 AM   #11
Valkyrie001

http://www.kyoshoamerica com/MINI-Z-...3_p_23491.html

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.31 at 06:16 AM.
Old 2016.03.09, 02:02 AM   #12
Minizorro

I doubt you can drift decently with a rear wheel drive mini-z mr03.
You won't be able to increase steering angle as the steering mechanism is tiny and compact, no chance to modify it.
Drifting on Miniz is done on the AWD car (ma01 or ma02). It's not as realistic as with bigger scale cars, but you can definitelly drift. The steering angle on the awd is also limited by the steering mechanism and also the universal joints.
All Miniz drift videos you'll find on YouTube are done with awd cars, ideally on carpet track.
I tried to drift my mr03 for fun and while I can occasionally pull a good move, you just don't have enough control.
Minizorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.09, 05:29 AM   #13
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
As it's smaller cars, the reactions are too fast to overreact to it properly, than you end with donuts. With a lot of testing and patience, I think you may combine an MR-03 ASF with Gyro (trying different settings with ICS programing) and a good combination of tires. There's plastic tires too, but the grip is almost none. You may try decreasing the top end to have more control.

Good luck.
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.09, 05:46 PM   #14
NZsevenkings

Valk. Correct me if I’m wrong but the MR-03 Sport chassis ( according to the link you sent doesn’t have the ability to connect a gyro and ICS ) now this is the SPORT Chassis. Maybe the older MR 03 chassis can handle the MZW403 gyro.
For you to have the same platform and drift and race might be challenging because the different setup for both.
Valk are you new to drifting? You might have to get the AWD MA-020S or an older MA-010 and have that setup for drifting. It’s a good place to start.

Minizorro is correct.. without a gyro the car will be very difficult to control nicely… unless you’re a champion..

Now the MR 03 Sport 2 Chassis has the ability for gyro assist and ICS connection. Doug01n has a point. With a lot of patience – a whole bunch of practice, setting tweaks and tires . Just maybe it could happen

I have noticed whilst drifting my AWD counter steered D3 they are a lot faster than the 1/10 gyro assisted RWD… RWD drifters will be a whole lot more slower. BUT that’s what I like.. I like the fact that it’s a bit slower and more scale like… Valk have you noticed this speed difference when you were watching the drifters?

I’m on the fence now.. I wont to believe I could get a MR-03 Sport 2 chassis and rwd drift it because Kyosho mini Z seem to be the best platform out there for racing as Valk pointed out.. but to make a RWD Drifter.. challenging..

I’m tempted to purchase it and give it a go but need some more info on the gyro setup. Any correspondence back from tiny rc Valk? What did you ask them?
NZsevenkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.09, 10:59 PM   #15
Valkyrie001

NZ I have not received any word from TINY yet so I will be calling them tomorrow. For the AWD Im part of a F******k club that buys and sells used MINI Z so Im poking my nose on a 020 so just in case that my project does fail which Im still hopeful. I know that the steering only goes so far, but Im trying to come up with a solution to that which consist of modding some parts, and I know that my steering servo will most likely be the biggest headache. I did see the post for Banzi Hobbies which OI will be asking Tiny as well or call Banzi if Tiny does not have it in stock. I kmow its a uphill battle and all I can hope for is a victory for RWD MINI Z

Last edited by mleemor60; 2016.03.31 at 06:17 AM.