Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.01.25, 09:26 PM   #1
DMALMAD

DMR Mini-z PC

Ok.... I don't really know where to begin but whatever here we go. So awhile I had heard the rumor that PN was making a new 2wd chassis but recently I have learned that this is true but will most likely be plastic and support nimh bateries. With this news I knew that If I wanted a new more modern pan chassis in the 1/28th scale I had to make my own. So With this in mind I have attached a pdf with the rough draft of what it will most likely look like. It will have a front end which will have camber and caster adjustment and it will run the spring underneath the static lower a arm. This is similar to the reflex front end in the spring under but is more like the crc xti as that is the most simple and most popular 1/12 pan chassis out there. The main design feature of the front end is the pivoting upper a arm and an adjustable turnbuckle incorporated into the upper a-arm for camber adjustment. The rear end will be a link style on a captured pivot ball. It will use the pn trishocks (not pictured) and a kyosho top shock. It will use an atomic or most likely x-power 2s battery. I have not included the batter or the battery stays as I do not have either of these things on hand but on friday i will have both to see . Also not pictured is the servo mount as I will not have a 1/28th or 1/24th servo until friday. The front end is near completion as the geometry and measurements are basically ready but the motor pod needs some work. I lost my calipers halfway through designing this so the motor pod isn't as ready as the front end and that is why this is mainly a rough draft as I am stuck at this point until I can make it out to harbor freight to get a new caliper which will also likely be friday. The good news is I have a pretty decent 3d printer at my disposal so I will have the front end made within the week and if everything goes smoothly I will be able to to have all the plastics ready to test within two weeks. I plan on having the motor mount in aluminum but have to have everything in plastic to test fit before that is ready to be ordered. Once all the plastics have been made I will try and get the cf cnc'd but that is my biggest roadblock as every quote i get for a small production of cf chassis is very expensive. Back to business... The main reason I am posting this is to see if there is any interest for people to get these because I could easily sell the plastic bits on shapeways and sell the chassis and links, balls, screws, and shims and motor pod separate. The balls and steering/chassis links will be the ones that atomic uses as they are affordable and the right size. It will also most likely use a stock gear diff or pn ball diff (whatever you prefer) and standard bearings, rims, and rear ride height adjusters. The goal of this chassis is to be an open platform with the new sensored system coming out from x-power or the brushless system available from atomic. Either way it will have plenty of options for the end user to choose from.

Now give me your feedback. I plan to put in options to run asc bodies and lexan bodies but will have to wait until i get the calipers. The wheelbase is going to be 98 but I could make the motor pod like the crc and coul possibly accomadate 96 and 100. Let me know what you guys think... am I way out of line or is this something that people would be looking to buy? The plan is to make it cheap by 3d printing most of it and if I have to make the chassis out of aluminum that could work to as I fear it may end up being too light. Please leave feedback it would be much appreciated.

Also forgot to mention that if the upper arm look like it is not together that is because there will be a turnbuckle in between the two separate pieces. I also wanted to add that this will use as many already available parts like springs, kingpins, and everything else mentioned above to keep costs low. The main force behind this is to get an open platform into the 1/28th scale so that more bigger scale guys will join the scale. The goal would be to sell this at under 200$ no matter what if I can't get it under 200 to break even I will most likely make this a one off. anyways let me know what you guys think.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minizpc1.pdf (348.5 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.01.25 at 09:34 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.26, 03:00 PM   #2
DMALMAD

Updated the chassis a bit so here it is with the top shock mount and the battery stay base. Still waiting on some measurement to finalize everything but I have some interesting plans and possibly a collaboration in the works to get some stuff done so bear with me right now. And seriously no body has any feedback. Good bad or indifferent any criticism or ideas would be great.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minizpc update.pdf (401.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.01.26 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2015.01.26, 03:39 PM   #3
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Hopefully there will be something a little better presented before anybody jumps in with any feedback. As presented it looks extremely crude and actually a step backwards from what is available now. It needs to get beyond the stick figure presentation to be fair. What is being shown probably shouldn't have been leaked.

Just my opinion. To what has been presented.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.26, 04:47 PM   #4
DMALMAD

I understand that and like I already said it is just a mock up I simply want input on what people would like in a chassis. This is just a base to work from and it is not going to be a sophisticated chassis that incorporates a kyosho board or anything like that. But I wouldn't consider it a step back when it uses modern 1/12 features and is open to anything available and able to use products and components already available. Just because something doesn't use nimh and a t-plate doesn't mean its a step back. And just to be clear this by no means the final draft just something to get the ideas flowing thats all. Thank you for your input.
Old 2015.01.26, 05:47 PM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Not trying to be mean to you but just because something incorporates modern 1/12th technology doesn't make it better. You have to consider economy of scale. To make something equal to an existing larger part the price goes up exponentially to maintain the quality. Nano technology is much costlier than micro technology.

I'm all for a 1/28th scale RC car with modern technology that can be a bridge to the larger scales. A true "modified" platform like the MRX would be a godsend. There are several useable 1/28th platforms out there already they just never caught on very well here in the U.S. because the standard Z is such a reliable platform to work with. If you check some of the European sites you will see what I am speaking of. If they had a drawback it was in the steering because of the low 4.8V electronics we worked with couldn't properly drive the servo. The advent of lipo's to the scale will open a lot of new doors for the scale. What will soon be faced is the dilution of the market for any of the offerings. Then it will truly be like 1/12th scale where we all kept buying the car of the week in order to keep up until everybody(ask Tommy Lane) got fed up and went 1/8th scale racing to save money. It's been since 1985 for me but I still have a footlocker full of old 1/12th junk. The more complicated they made it the fewer guys kept up.

Again. I am for the progress up to and including the new X-Power wanna be 28th scale touring car. We should welcome all of them to the fold and let anybody that has too much disposable income to come and race in conjunction with us but not with us. When the dust finally settles the Z's will still be running as what they are and the rest of the stuff will be in a drawer somewhere. Except for the tiny niches of insanity scattered around the country.

Just my opinion but then again I speak from experience.
Old 2015.01.26, 06:23 PM   #6
DMALMAD

This PROJECT is not an attempt to replace the regular 03 or to prove that it is outdated (even though it is) but merely my experiment that I am looking to share with other people who would like to see something a little different. This may end up being just a custom one off and I would be fine with that. I am not looking to make a large production run or any at all but simply share my experiences through the different steps of a multi faceted project such as this. My main qualm with the 03 is not the lack of options when it comes to buying a radio or the lack of options for a decent speed control (in the context of the ve board, the brushed board is excellent and top notch) or even the frailty of the plastic but rather the tweak associated with t-plate rear end. Nothing is worse than battling tweak or worse breaking a tplate on a tq run or amain win. I am simply looking to incorporate a true captured pivot ball rear end ( not like the slop monster called the gimball) so that rear end is more adaptable and more durable. I am not here to debate aftermarket chassis v.s. 03 this neither the time nor place. This is more of a build thread than anything else and if there is interest, which there seems to be very little, than I will just make one for myself an leave it at that. either way I would like to share my experiences through this process and do not wish to argue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minizpc update.pdf (432.6 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.01.26 at 06:28 PM.
Old 2015.01.26, 07:31 PM   #7
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Good for you. Please continue and share away.
Old 2015.01.26, 10:14 PM   #8
byebye

Yeah please continue. I think you're on the right track.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.27, 07:38 AM   #9
ivanmartin18

It's for sure a good starting point and it's always a laudable effort when someone tries to do something new.

As already said someone above, it's a quite embrional design and you have to go a step forward to get useful feedbacks.

At the moment, i think you have to work much more on the front end that seems a bit leak, it looks like a small bump will destroy everything. Make a lot of research and take inspiration from 1/12 scale but keeping in mind the dimensions of 1/28 scale. It's not as simple as scaling down everything.

A very important element to think is the servo saver, almost every time that a custom build chassis is designed, this element is forgotten. Take a look to this one i designed for my MP-V4B https://www.shapeways.com/product/MR...576a5b7c5d3c74
ivanmartin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.28, 08:39 AM   #10
DMALMAD

Taking the fragile nature of the front end into consideration I have updated it to be much bulkier and finally I got the measurements accurate for the front end. Still working on the rear end but here is the updated front end. I plan on using the reflex 4.8mm delrin balls and kingpin package. Due to the snow I was not able to start the 3d printing but will have the front end made next week to test fit and to make sure it is smooth and after that I will work on getting the chassis cut and putting together the car. I will update later with the 3d printed front end.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minizpc update front end.pdf (361.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 2015.02.19, 02:44 AM   #11
DMALMAD

finalized for the most part now I just have to wait on qoutes and see how long it will be for me to get it all made. What you see in white will most likely be cf and the green parts will first be made by 3d printing first and then if it all works aluminum. I know it looks a little funky with the rear body mount but that is the only thing that will most likely change.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf minizpc final.pdf (230.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 2015.03.08, 01:06 PM   #12
DMALMAD

Have printed the front end a couple of times with a 3d printer but I am still working on the correct settings to get it as accurate as it needs to be. Here is the final revision. The front end appears to be strong enough in plastic pla but plan is to make out of aluminum or delrin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Minizpc FInal.pdf (241.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 2015.03.17, 11:18 PM   #13
DMALMAD

Ok been a while since I last posted here but recently my design has changed a little bit. The front end is compatible with reflex upper tower bar, arms, knuckles, kingpins, low profile suspension, and suspension balls and may be compatible with the pn dbl a arm. But I am not going to release pictures until I have the prototype in my hands which, if all goes well, will be in the next two weeks. I had a outside party contact me to make the prototypes and a production run may very well be possible depending on the performance of the prototypes! Based on the feedback I have recieved (or lack thereof) it appears that there might not be as much interest for a 1/27th scale link chassis as I thought but if this is something that interests you (If it proves to be faster and more consistent) then speak up so that a production run can happen. Right now it is still early but based on the manufacturer the chassis will be easily made and won't be that expensive considering the materials that I plan to use. Anyways let me know and speak up for what front end or motor pod (still a maybe if im going to make it open to any motor pod) you would like to see!
Old 2015.04.20, 03:52 PM   #14
DMALMAD

WOW! so it has been a while but I have finally recieved my prototype chassis and most of the parts that I need to build it. Here is a picture of where I am at now and all I am waiting on is some hardware, a servo and esc, and all the links. I am also in the process of tapping the rear metal shock bulkhead/upright. Everything seems to fit well and the carbon looks awesome Anyways here is a picture of my progress:

Let me know what you guys think. The lower arms and the rear pivot point all work silky smooth which suprised me because of how rough the shapeways plastic is but everything seems to be working well. I am very anxious to get this thing built and track tested and we will go from there. Depending on what happens an oval chassis is in the pipeline I just have to learn oval setup a little more to see what will work best
Old 2015.04.20, 04:21 PM   #15
Jshwaa

Pretty cool, man. What was the objective of the chassis design, to fit lipos?